uploading photos to gallery

Can anyone give me some help as to how to upload photos from my folder to RM webb?My pictures are JPEG(whatever that means?),and when I have tried to upload them from the folder,all I have is a blank image on my gallery.I dont know what I am doing wrong,but I have already had to have two blank images removed,I'm reluctant to have another go incase  it  happens again!!!!!!!!!!!

warren

• RMweb Gold

Hi Warren,

If your pictures are straight off a modern camera it's possible they are too large for RMweb to resize. You need to resize them yourself first. RMweb has it's own online image editor which can resize images. Click the Image Editor button at the top of every page:

post-1103-0-38395400-1366205729.png

Here is how to use the RMweb Image Editor:

1. click this:

post-1103-0-67116500-1366207582.png

2.Find the picture on your computer and click on it:

post-1103-0-13870800-1366207581_thumb.pn

It will open in the editor.

3. If you wish you can add a copyright notice, or any other text or mark-up. Click the A button on the left and add your text in the box which appears:

post-1103-0-04749600-1366207579_thumb.jp

4. Click Image size in the Image menu:

post-1103-0-89011400-1366207575_thumb.jp

5. Set the required size in the box which appears. 800 x 600 is good for general pics:

post-1103-0-71184800-1366207572.png

6. Click Save... in the File menu:

post-1103-0-80201000-1366207570.png

7. Choose My Computer as the destination. If it is a photo from a camera, choose JPEG as the format. Slide the Quality compression control until the image size shows as less than about 250KB. Click OK:

post-1103-0-35909600-1366207567.png

8. You can then choose where you want to save it on your computer. And finally upload it to RMweb:

post-1103-0-06070400-1366208378.jpg

regards,

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

On a similar subject.How do I post photos on my layout thread with the descriptions in between them instead of in one go at the beginning.I use more reply and put them as attachments but is there another way ?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Robin,

After uploading the picture, put the flashing caret where you want the picture to be in your post. Then click the Add to Post link which appears to the right of the small thumbnail image:

post-1103-0-43325700-1376947118.png

regards,

Martin.

Dear Martin,

thankyou very much for your prompt reply to my question.I have followed your instructions,but when I get to click on MY COMPUTOR,I cant find a box that says that,could it be called something else?

As you can gather,I am not computor literate,more like iliterate! any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Warren

I was right with you up to the point where you said 'And finally upload it to RMweb'.. One question, How?!

I'm using windows 8 and having followed the above instructions, I have the image on 'my computer', but it will not allow me to paste the image to RMweb.

I have also tried using 'more reply options' but it simply states that this type of file is not allowed.

Please help, as I'm pulling my hair out with this now! Many thanks stressed Eric Murray.

• RMweb Gold

but when I get to click on MY COMPUTER,I cant find a box that says that,could it be called something else?

Hi Warren,

Are you not seeing this when you click Save in the File menu: ?

post-1103-0-35909600-1366207567.png

If "My computer" on the top left is showing light grey it means it is already clicked, you don't need to click it again.

regards,

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

I was right with you up to the point where you said 'And finally upload it to RMweb'.. One question, How?!

Hi,

Click More reply options.

Below the area where you type, are the words "Attach Files". Below them is a button. The words on the button may be different for different browsers. It may say Browse..., or Choose..., or Choose Files..., or Select..., or something else.

Whatever it says, click it.

You can then navigate to and find the image file on your computer, and select it. To make it upload you probably then have to click a button labelled Open, probably near the bottom right.

You can't copy and paste images directly from your computer.* 

regards,

Martin.

*Well actually you can in some browsers, but please don't. The image will be inserted as hex object data directly in your post and be a massive download for those on mobiles and slow connections.

Very strange.. I had tried as you suggested. It seems that I can upload some pictures such as this test image of a Hornby repaint.

post-18670-0-96776000-1377114386_thumb.jpg

...But it still won't allow me to download others.

• RMweb Gold

...But it still won't allow me to download others.

If you haven't resized them as in my post above, the reason is almost certainly that they are too big. Or you are uploading too many in one go. Try uploading them one at a time.

If you have resized it as above, what is the exact name of the file? If it's a photo It must end in .jpg

What is the size of the file in KB or MB? What is the error message you see (the exact words)?

regards,

Martin.

Hi Martin, I've just managed to upload some pictures to the Bachmann class 47 area, but it was hit and miss which photos it would allow me to download (due to their size as you say). However, the one picture that I did scale down it refused to let me publish stating that it was not allowed(!) despite the fact that it was a JPEG.

To be fair, I've had arguments with this PC since I got it earlier this year- I blame Windows 8... To quote a maxim from my former line of employment 'if in doubt, blow (up) in situ'... But the wife wouldn't like it if I blew the computer up!

• 2 months later...

Archived