Somewhere very small in Devon

David41283

Hi DavidI have just come across your thread, You have done a fantastic job on this. I like the LEDs for your lighting they come up very bright, that has given me food for thought on my next project.Keep up the work on this.RAY70B

Thanks Ray, you won't know it, but you actually significantly helped me with this! I saw yard shunter at Exeter in 2012, and asked you a load of questions! You very kindly showed me behind/underneath to illustrate how it was built. I have frequently checked your layout thread for inspiration too.

David

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

A couple of the jobs I needed to do have been completed.

In the last post, I identified that the existing lighting wasn't satisfactory, a single florescent tube, leaving large areas of shadow at each end. As an experiment I brought a 3m roll of LED strip lighting from eBay. This cost less than £12 including the transformer and postage. This was self adhesive, so I stuck two rows inside the pelmet and removed the old kitchen-cabinet strip light. Apparently it's marketed for creating fancy lighting effects around TV's under stairs etc.

It looks like this (sorry about the backdrop of our spare room!)

attachicon.gifBNVI8.jpg

The effect is staggeringly good, this is the layout in a pitch-dark room a few minutes ago.

attachicon.gifBNVI1.jpg

This means that from now on my pictures should be much clearer and less shadowy!

What a great idea, David.  I hope you don't mind that I copied it for my layout, Bishopdale.

~ William

Just having another catch up and its looking really nice and interesting to operate.

Nice work.

Thanks Andy - I hadn't looked at this thread for ages, your comment has inspired me to look back at all the photos on my PC of this one! This was my first "proper" layout and I learnt loads! 

What a great idea, David.  I hope you don't mind that I copied it for my layout, Bishopdale.

~ William

No worries - the one thing I've changed in hindsight is to make sure you buy yellow-white not white LED's. It gives a far less harsh effect. I used this on my Exchange Square layout and the colour of the lighting was much more natural.

No worries - the one thing I've changed in hindsight is to make sure you buy yellow-white not white LED's. It gives a far less harsh effect. I used this on my Exchange Square layout and the colour of the lighting was much more natural.

That's what I did - and I can say that getting 5+ yards of the stuff for $6 CAD is a great bargain.

Thanks again. :)

• 1 year later...

Greetings!

Been casting around for ideas for a station, and i wondered how good a Peco country station kit could be made to look. I'm inspired!  :good: Brill....

Thanks - it was a while ago now, but I think it was a mixture of a Peco Station, Peco Station House and also a Wills wooden shelter, If it helps I painted it with Games Workshop paints as this was what I had at the time.

Cheers

David

Archived