Lord & Butler, Cardiff

Danemouth

My local model shop Lord & Butler have just moved premises, still on the same site. Their address is now

The Old Warehouse,(next to Pumping Station)

Penarth Road,

Cardiff CF11 8TT

029 2066 7225

Shop is still being set up but this is how it looked this morning:

post-7048-0-85319400-1377000978.jpg

post-7048-0-27056800-1377000979.jpg

post-7048-0-79775300-1377000979.jpg

post-7048-0-21406200-1377000980.jpg

post-7048-0-78756900-1377000980.jpg

The baseboard was only delivered this morning and will be a demonstration layout when finished

post-7048-0-50346900-1377000982.jpg

Peter's on the left and Adrian on the right

post-7048-0-47225700-1377000981.jpg

Their website will be upgraded in about six weeks time.

No connection other than a customer happy to help my local modelshop

Posted by kind permission of Andy Y

Regards,

Dave

• Like 15

I called in on Saturday, much improved on the old shop, you can now walk around without bumping into everyone!

They are always very friendly and helpful and keep a great variety of stock.

Again no connection, just great to still have a local independent model shop!

Edited by robf

I called in on Saturday, much improved on the old shop, you can now walk around without bumping into everyone!

They are always very friendly and helpful and keep a great variety of stock.

Again no connection, just great to still have a local independent model shop!

Amongst the brand new stock "discovered" during move process were a few Bachmann Mark 1 Suburban composites with BR(W) numbers - goodness only knows how old they are but I would guess 5 - 7 years - grabbed one at £18.50 - unfortunately no brake coaches but a nice coach to strengthen a B Set.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Haven't been in for a few weeks, but hopefully will as soon as school hols are over, and I get some time to myself again. Helped them empty the 2nd hand stuff by buying a couple of obscure kit built GWR tanks at reasonable prices. Space was desperately short in the former shop, and there is the advantage that the Pumping Station Café is still only next door :)

• RMweb Premium

As a very occasional customer from a long way off I wish the mall the best following the move.  The new place looks to be well laid out, bright and attractive.  

This is my "local" model shop too! I was there yesterday lunch time and it is a big improvement over the old premises in the Pumping Station. I would heartily recommend a visit to anyone who might be coming to Cardiff, it is a friendly shop and can be reached by Cardiff Bus if you don't have a car. Unfortunately Cardiff Bus are not so friendly and demand exact fares from their passengers unless you have a pass.

Linners

• RMweb Gold

This is my "local" model shop too! I was there yesterday lunch time and it is a big improvement over the old premises in the Pumping Station. I would heartily recommend a visit to anyone who might be coming to Cardiff, it is a friendly shop and can be reached by Cardiff Bus if you don't have a car. Unfortunately Cardiff Bus are not so friendly and demand exact fares from their passengers unless you have a pass.

Linners

About 10 mins walk along Penarth Road from Grangetown station as well.

Does anyone know if their phone number has changed - or if there is a problem with their phones ?  I've been calling them at different times for the past week (since their move).  Phone just rings, no answer and no answer phone.   Very unusual - always been able to get through before, or leave a message.

Gopher. 

• RMweb Gold

Just tried to contact Lord and Butler by phone to inquire about a "dead" Cl.52 returned to them on June 3rd but got a rather abrupt recoded message that the number is not taking any calls at the moment - please try later.

Maybe somebody local could advise Lord and Butler what is going on. Thanks,

Keith

Just tried to contact Lord and Butler by phone to inquire about a "dead" Cl.52 returned to them on June 3rd but got a rather abrupt recoded message that the number is not taking any calls at the moment - please try later.

Maybe somebody local could advise Lord and Butler what is going on. Thanks,

Keith

As I said to Gopher above I will be going to L & B this week and will post the information here.

Dave

Edited by Danemouth

Just been to the shop. Peter told me that BT have let them down regarding the transfer of the phone from the old to the new premises.

The existing number 029 2066 7225 should be working from next week,in the meantime there is a temporary number

029 2115 9649

It's only a single line. Peter was telling me that everything else went to plan, signage, alarms, electrics heating etc. but BT had problems when one computer system failed to talk to another - it seems they haven't even got broadband at the moment!

Dave.

p.s. Bought a couple of Metcalfe kits and a Dapol Class 22 whilst I was there.

Edited by Danemouth

• RMweb Gold

Thanks also for the update Dave. Will try to establish contact tomorrow. If the message I got was courtesy of BT then think they need to attend charm school and provide some customer-friendly recorded messages.

Keith

Forget the temporary number - BT have now completed the transfer of their old number 029 2066 7225.

Best not ask their views on the competence of BT!

The awful message mentioned by tesudofan was BT generated - L & B had no control over it,

Dave

They could not be more local to yours truly, less than a quarter of a mile, as a regular visitor, but less frequent spender, I enjoy my pop-in sessions for a chat with Pete and Ade, the new shop is a massive improvement on the old premise on size and general layout, its well worth a visit, always well stocked and a great source for layout detailing items as well. I wish them every success with this bold step forward.

Paul R.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Does anybody have an up to date email address for L&B the one that's on the new business cards doesn't work as I bought a weathered Dapol western at the Hornby show last weekend and when I went to fit a sound decoder whilst I was at the show as I was on the DEMU stand I found that all of the screws holding the body on had been completely rounded off so I returned said Loco to see what could be done and they agreed to happily either leave the loco with them and they would fix the problem with the screws and fit the sound decoder and they said would give me a ring in a couple of days to confirm they had done the job.

I know it's only Thursday but a quick phonecall or email would be nice to see if everything is in order I mean after all I've paid £149.95 for the loco and then there was the cost of the decodder from another stand at the same show.

Sorry rant over just a bit cautious as it's a lot of money and after the email was returned this morning stating that the email address wasn't in use I'm getting a bit nervous  :scratchhead:

Edited by Cov Guard