Lord & Butler, Cardiff

Danemouth

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Wayne 37901 said:

Hi all,

Does anyone how/when this click and collect service is operating?

I've phoned the shop a few times today and no answer, I've been out shopping and just drove to the shop to find it shut.

There also hasn't been any update on the shop website or Facebook page.

Thanks in advance.

Pm sent Wayne. 

R

The site is not complete - there are items in stock but not shown. Peter is being cautious regarding C-19 - there were 3 fatalities in his street of 14 houses when the outbreak first hit.

He does go to the shop regularly - but not necessarily every day and will pick up the messages. Regrettably, the shop IS closed for drive-bys.

I'm having a video conference with him tomorrow evening and I'll give him feedback regarding your comments @Wayne 37901 . If there is any other way of dealing with enquiries/orders, I'll post up on Sunday.

Cheers,

Philip

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Hi everyone,

I had my video-beer with Peter this evening and I asked him about lockdown and Lord and Butler.

He has advised me that he has taken a view that under the ever increasing restrictions on purchasing items other than necessities that he cannot offer 'click-and-collect' for the time being.

However, it is not all doom and gloom as he will continue with on-line sales. Messages via info@lordandbutler.com are monitored continually and he will make a postal run once or twice a week (restrictions permitting).

When asked about UK-EU sales, he won't be accepting orders due to the changes in the EU VAT regulations - I'm probably his only customer in the EU!!

If there are any other changes as matters evolve, I'll post up asap.

Cheers and stay safe,

Philip

• Thanks 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Philou said:

When asked about UK-EU sales, he won't be accepting orders due to the changes in the EU VAT regulations - I'm probably his only customer in the EU!!

Shame but understandable, after looking at the video l could have been the second EU customer.

Still after discovering Lendons as well, I think a visit to Cardidf is a possibility once some form of normality returns.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Simon Lee said:

I think a visit to Cardiff is a possibility once some form of normality returns.

That's going to be my new modus operandi. I was habitually doing a once-yearly visit to see family and friends but due to Covid, that had to be put aside.

Anyway, he will put items aside for me and I shall collect whenever and for those items that he is not stockist, it won't change things very much other than having to pay VAT on receipt of items here (it may well have happened anyway due to changes in the EU-EU VAT regulations starting in July this year - there is another thread on the subject on RMWeb).

As an add-on to my message yesterday, Peter is diversifying into military modelling and stock is on its way. He was very good at it when he worked in Bud Morgan's. I have photos of his efforts done during the latest lockdown - he hasn't lost his touch! I will post up his efforts if anyone is interested - just for show and not to take the topic away from railway modelling.

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Philou said:

As an add-on to my message yesterday, Peter is diversifying into military modelling and stock is on its way. He was very good at it when he worked in Bud Morgan's. I have photos of his efforts done during the latest lockdown - he hasn't lost his touch! I will post up his efforts if anyone is interested - just for show and not to take the topic away from railway modelling.

An interesting development - for various reasons - and I'm sure that a number of people will wish to see the photos.

Actually, I'm not convinced this would veer too far away from railway modelling.

A number of people here are also members of US model railroad forum sites. I could imagine some people wondering how this might be relevant - well, a number of US modellers routinely use military kits (or parts from them) in railroad modelling.

In the US, O scale is 1:48 - which is also a military modelling scale - so lightly modified Tamiya (etc.) soldier figures frequently end up in model trains. Meanwhile, it's not unknown for parts from truck or bulldozer kits to find their way into On30 "critters".

Some people might remember a RMweb challenge several years back, when I started building a Wismar Hannover railbus in On30 - had a number of photos (taken a few months before the closing date) showing me adapting a Hornby OO Pacer chassis - but was eventually forced to abandon my efforts because caring for my parents didn't leave me enough time to get things finished.

Some people might have wondered about my choice of scale for the planned build - well, when originally built, the real railbuses featured the front ends of 2 Ford AA trucks - trucks which were later built under licence in the USSR, as the Gaz AA (later also AAA and MM), for which a number of kits are available in 1:48 scale.

However, a number of US modellers don't stop there - it's not unknown to use parts from kits in different scales, which just happen to look more or less right.

Even for those of us who don't particularly want models in "combat" settings, there's still a lot we can learn from military modelling, painting and weathering.

As far as I'm concerned, decent modelling is decent modelling - whatever the models are of - and I welcome the opportunity to learn from other people's models.

Huw.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Huw Griffiths said:

An interesting development - for various reasons - and I'm sure that a number of people will wish to see the photos.

@Huw Griffiths There is definitely a cross-over between Military and Rail Modelling - I think the railway community do have some things to learn - especially as M/M HAVE to do 'real' modelling (kits and kit-bashing) if they want their models - whereas we are very fortunate that a lot of our modelling usually has a r-t-r representation ready made (but that no doubt been debated elsewhere on RMWeb) unless, like you, you're modelling away from mainstream scales.

Anyway, here are some photos (I wonder if they're for a diorama in the shop):

IMG-20210109-WA0000.jpg.fba13deb3474359a8e10e75381684244.jpg

IMG-20210109-WA0001.jpg.5c78c3c64365064e98a249bb17ae9be6.jpg

IMG-20210109-WA0002.jpg.4394d4743f4de16df89c65443d6737a1.jpg

IMG-20210109-WA0003.jpg.daba68bbaa75940ac3661f25786295b3.jpg

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Looks good - it wouldn't surprise me if at least some of this stuff were to find its way into the shop.

As for my choice of scale with my (aborted) Wismar build (and, indeed, my forthcoming CBC 2021 entry), this was driven by what was available to me.

I don't have a layout (I know - and I'm on some model railway sites!). This means that I don't always need to worry too much about whether builds will fit in with anything else - so I might end up with an element of "box scale" (scale choice based on what space the things need to fit into), or sometimes choosing scale based on what kits / parts I can get hold of.

Although I don't get to do as much modelmaking as I might like, some people would be relieved to note that I haven't given up on mainstream scales.

In time, I'm also hoping to build a layout - just not a very exciting layout, that's all. I could also add that, as scenery has never interested me very much, my layout (assuming I build it) is unlikely to win any prizes.

I've got a general "picture" in my head of what I'll be looking to do - and Peter is one of a very small number of "preferred suppliers" I'm likely to be looking to deal with, when I'm ready to build it.

Huw.

• Like 2

I've done the drawing of mine and I've now done the layout in 3D too - kept me busy for a week or two. As an exercise it has shown that what I saw in my head didn't quite turn out the same in 3D - so it wasn't wasted time and things will need to fine tuned when building starts.

Good luck with your eventual layout and all of you out there - stay safe and take care.

Philip

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think Peter told me was one of the first to build a Tamiya 1/16th tank in the UK. It got me looking at the range and I ended up building this Russian KV-1 in the Autumn:

tank1.jpg

I know a few of the other Cardiff area modellers also have an interest in military subjects so Peter should be onto a winner.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the update. It's a shame Peter can't offer a click and collect service, but it's an understandable decision and hopefully the shop will open up again at some point. I'd certainly hate for it to close down because Model shops in Cardiff are thin on the ground.

If you speak to him again, please wish him all the best from me.

Cheers,

Wayne

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Chums,

An update - I have been trying to upload a video from Whatsapp to my Hotmail account to then upload here, but the file is too big! L&B have received stock of their Hornby 6-wheelers with lighting and the video was showing the 'magic wand' in operation - very clever.

I also received 3 of the GWR 4-wheelers today and I am pretending that I haven't read the reviews regarding the duckets and rather sparse underframes because they are after all 'generic' (though based on prototype Stroudleys - apparently).

I have to say that they do actually look quite good - the lining is far better than I could have achieved and they're far far better than the original 'shorty' 4_wheelers! I await now for the Hattons' ones to be able to do a bit of mix and match.

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 10/01/2021 at 15:57, Philou said:

@Huw Griffiths There is definitely a cross-over between Military and Rail Modelling - I think the railway community do have some things to learn - especially as M/M HAVE to do 'real' modelling (kits and kit-bashing) if they want their models - whereas we are very fortunate that a lot of our modelling usually has a r-t-r representation ready made (but that no doubt been debated elsewhere on RMWeb) unless, like you, you're modelling away from mainstream scales.

Anyway, here are some photos (I wonder if they're for a diorama in the shop):

IMG-20210109-WA0000.jpg.fba13deb3474359a8e10e75381684244.jpg

IMG-20210109-WA0001.jpg.5c78c3c64365064e98a249bb17ae9be6.jpg

IMG-20210109-WA0002.jpg.4394d4743f4de16df89c65443d6737a1.jpg

IMG-20210109-WA0003.jpg.daba68bbaa75940ac3661f25786295b3.jpg

Cheers,

Philip

Hi,

Love the models, especially the work on the carrier crew.  Painting figures is something I really need to a get a grip of.  Out of curiousity are these 1/35 or 1/48?

Thanks and regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Lord & Butler were first recommended to me a number of years ago by a late friend.  Finally got around to looking at their site on Saturday evening.  Saw a few things that I liked and ordered them.  Posted out to me on Monday, and lost by Royal Mail on Tuesday!  Thanks to much appreciated help from the shop the post office found the parcel and it was finally delivered today.

In terms of efficiency, courtesy and promptness in handling enquiries, and helpfulness to a customer they were excellent.  I would gladly use them again.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

@Alex TM Oooh ...... I don't know the scale. Next time on the 'phone to him (probably on the weekend), I'll ask and post up the reply. I'm glad the parcel was found! I'll also pass on the kind comments.

(Just had a look at the photos again and in the corner of one of the boxes in tiny, tiny writing, I can see 1/35th.)

I always thought Peter was pretty good at doing military figures and I think diversifying into MM is just a natural step for him.

Cheers,

Philip

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Hi all especially those modelling in N,

Just an update to let you know that Lord and Butler who are open, but with slightly restricted hours, have received stock of the new Kato GWR 800s and very nice they are too, apparently. There's also a near-full range of Hornby, Accurascale, Bachmann, Peco and all other favourite brands.

@Alex TM I'm sorry it took so long to get back - time just whizzes by (and I forgot :senile:) - the scale of the AFVs is 1:35th.

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Afternoon all, 

Lord and Butler have acquired a private collection consisting of a  considerable number of kit built locos. 

The kits were purchased by the owner then handed over to be built and painted on his behalf and then displayed as part of his collection. 

As an example, I am advised that there are somewhere in the region of 200 Southern locos alone. 

The locos are all finished in either ppre-grouping or grouping liveries. I visited today and there are locos from The Caledonian, Midland, L&NWR, L&Y, GWR, L&SWR, LB&SCR, Highland, SECR to name but a few. Some are in early grouping livery others in full pre-grouping finery. 

I am aware that L&B are updating their website but this will take time. The locos are still being checked as I believe that few have actually moved from their display cases for may years prior to the acquisition by L&B. 

The shop have lists but these are constantly being updated. Therefore, I would recommend a call to the shop to enquire into what is available. 

Here are a few photos of my own locos purchased recently from this collection. 

Chivers Finelines EX -LSWR 0330ST

20220104_123611-01.jpeg.5ad12f393d4e7fdc995c33f2eee7236a.jpeg

20220104_125504-01.jpeg.f243e4ac9a0e0480b8205d97b6805505.jpeg

Jidenco brass (?) EX L&SWR T1 0.4.4T

20220104_125437-03.jpeg.4ec6c83bc3d6fbf3782e5b633283ffe7.jpeg

SEF EX-LB&SCR D1 0.4.2T

20211229_144514-01.jpeg.54666b6b57d83200c1e64476b6685ded.jpeg

20211230_085218-01.jpeg.7675fdfe8a692b3c8ca3a705e3aaf2b1.jpeg

Regarding myself, I have no connection to L&B other than being a satisfied customer. 

What I can say is that in respect of the locos above, I am more than happy to have picked these up. 

Rob. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I've acquired three of the Southern locos as well, pictures in due course. I'm also very happy with my purchases.

The sheer number of models in the collection is mind boggling, as well as the geographic spread. I was particularly taken with the Caledonian locos.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

I've acquired three of the Southern locos as well, pictures in due course. I'm also very happy with my purchases.

The sheer number of models in the collection is mind boggling, as well as the geographic spread. I was particularly taken with the Caledonian locos.

Hi Al, 

Yep. The Caledonian models are lovely looking. 

Rob. 

Would you like to see part of the collection? I was told of the collection in the Autumn but sworn to discretion until the locos were checked. I had a few since last October.  They worked straight from the box (as it were).

One thing you may need to know (unless Peter has changed his mind), these locos were to be sold to personal callers so as to avoid post or courier as these are un-boxed. If you're interested, please give a call on 02 792 667 225. 02 920 667 225.

Here is just a small part of the collection (the Aberdare has been bagged by me, but there are a couple of others :) ).

IMG-20210904-WA0010.jpg.f7268496ced336a090227ef170d1f2a1.jpg

There are also: Southern and pre-grouping constituent companies, LMS and LNWR, GWR and absorbed companies and a fair few Scottish pre-grouping. There weren't any LNER ones in the photos that were given to me.

I forgot to say that time is also being taken in trying to identify the origins of the models as there are a lot of brass kits and perhaps more to the point, what the locos are.  There are a couple of EM gauge ones in there too.

Here are my four (ex-M&SWJR 0-4-4, 517, ex-M&SWJR 2-8-0 and 2-4-0 'Barnum' (EM :( )):

P1010804.JPG.0e3da757d89bdf2247206df7fed402c5.JPG

Cheers,

Philip

Edited by Philou
Phat Phingers and thanks to NHY 581 for pointing out my error
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phillip. 

By way of clarity, the phone number above seems to have been tinkered with by a couple of mischievous pixies. 

Should read.....

02920 667 225

Regards postage etc, this needs to be clarified with Peter. I'll give him a ring tomorrow and update here. The three that I have acquired are all boxed. Where possible, Peter and Adrian are re uniting the locos with their original boxes. My 0330 box tells me that it was built in July 2008 which is nice to know. 

Rob. 

• Informative/Useful 2

59 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

By way of clarity, the phone number above seems to have been tinkered with by a couple of mischievous pixies.

I think they were the phat phingered sort :) .

I'll amend it straight away. Good to know that there were some boxes too. My info was based on what they had just collected - hence the display cabinet in the previous photo.

Cheers,

Philip

6 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I visited today and there are locos from The Caledonian, Midland, L&NWR, L&Y, GWR, L&SWR, LB&SCR, Highland, SECR to name but a few.

Here another cabinet as originally acquired:

IMG-20210904-WA0008.jpg.292abd76071d3c079cf420bcceac3a5b.jpg

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1