Lord & Butler, Cardiff

Danemouth

Well done Lord & Butler! Order placed Tuesday morning, in post that very lunchtime and arrived here in the 'continental' sticks this lunchtime. I know a little boy (not me!) who will now have a very happy birthday. L&B also tested the loco before posting - additional well done.

(Thanks should also go to RM and La Poste.)

Cheers,

Philip

• 9 months later...

I don't know if anyone may be interested in this, but there is a short video on YouTube giving a guided tour of Lord and Butler if you're unable to get there to see for yourselves.

Here's the link:

I haven't got a disclaimer as he is my brother! However, I am a happy customer too!!

Cheers,

Philip

(If Mods say it's not allowed, I'll take it down of course).

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Barry Ten said:

One of the best and Peter is one of the nicest people I know in any walk of life - a real gent.

Indeed. My first port of call. Nothing is too much trouble and a pleasure to visit. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Philou said:

I don't know if anyone may be interested in this, but there is a short video on YouTube giving a guided tour of Lord and Butler if you're unable to get there to see for yourselves.

Here's the link:

I haven't got a disclaimer as he is my brother! However, I am a happy customer too!!

Your brother - and a thoroughly decent guy.

I also agree about the "happy customer" comment - whenever I've had dealings with Peter, Adrian, or indeed anyone at Lord & Butler, I've always enjoyed the experience. I know I'll always get treated right - and this is one of the reasons why they're one of a very small number which I regard as "preferred suppliers".

(Please believe me - I don't make that statement lightly.)

Huw.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 months later...

Hello chaps, chapesses and chums,

I'm sure you'll all be pleased to know that as from this coming Monday, 22 June, after what seems to be weeks and weeks, Lord and Butler reopen. There will be some distancing measures in place but a warm welcome awaits everyone!!

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Philou said:

I'm sure you'll all be pleased to know that as from this coming Monday, 22 June, after what seems to be weeks and weeks, Lord and Butler reopen. There will be some distancing measures in place but a warm welcome awaits everyone!!

Cheers,

Philip

Champion! 

images-1.jpeg

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Philou said:

Cheers,

Philip

What are the current Welsh distance travelling "rules" for us lesser beings (the English......) L&B is well within normal travel limits but....

Oooh .............. I have no idea as I'm about 1000km to the south east of Cardiff. The Johnster, NHY 581, Danemouth, Barry Ten or Huw Griffiths will probably swing by and help. What I do know, is that the local train services serving Grangetown Station (the closest to the shop + 10 min. walk) are running frequently during the day. I expect masks are recommended.

Cheers,

Philip

• RMweb Gold

I have answered my own question....I assume I will not be visiting L&B for a week or two... (Source BBC News website 19.6.20)

Wales' coronavirus travel restrictions could be lifted from 6 July so people can "travel as far as they like for all purposes," First Minister Mark Drakeford has said.

Travel into and around Wales will be possible from that date, as long as coronavirus is still under control.

But rules that require people to stay local, within five miles of their home as a guide, will stay for now.

It comes as Mr Drakeford announced major changes to lockdown laws.

From Monday, visits beyond people's local area on compassionate grounds, such as to family, care homes or young offender institutions, will be allowed.

On the same day:

• Retailers can open, with social distancing measures in place
  • Private prayer can take place in places of worship
  • Restrictions on outdoor sports courts will be lifted for non-contact sports
  • Non-professional elite athletes can resume training
  • House viewings in vacant properties and home moves will also be allowed, restarting the housing market.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Philou said:

Oooh .............. I have no idea as I'm about 1000km to the south east of Cardiff. The Johnster, NHY 581, Danemouth, Barry Ten or Huw Griffiths will probably swing by and help. What I do know, is that the local train services serving Grangetown Station (the closest to the shop + 10 min. walk) are running frequently during the day. I expect masks are recommended.

Cheers,

Philip

Yes, the 5 mile restriction remains in force for now, so Cardiff is well out of range for me - but I'm glad the shop is reopening.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Lay'neez an' Genl'mun,

Your attenshun pleez.

Peter has shaved off his beard, donned his trousers and has been preparing the shop to welcome you all tomorrow as you will see from the following pictures taken a few hours ago. Social distancing has been marked out:

FB_IMG_1592762749021.jpg.7b28d9501c955d7ad1fc622e897af178.jpg

and a warm beer welcome awaits you all:

FB_IMG_1592762690494.jpg.94bb40eea7c53cdb2396ea380a6cb2c2.jpg

Joking aside - please do note that opening times will be from 10.00am to 4.00pm for the time being.

Following NHY 581's post below - face masks will be a condition of entry.

Cheers and take care,

Philip

Edited by Philou
Updated following NHY's post
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, they ' re back. 

A revision has been made to normal service and the experience is perfectly acceptable. 

Peter has lost none of his retailing prowess and in true Aunty Wainwright style, I left with a Dapol B4........

On a serious note, understandably, face masks are a condition of entry.

A small price to pay in order to support the business. 

Rob. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Philou said:

Social distancing has been marked out:

and a warm beer welcome awaits you all:

Joking aside - please do note that opening times will be from 10.00am to 4.00pm for the time being.

As with many businesses emerging from lockdown, I could imagine people's wallets being particularly welcome.

3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

On a serious note, understandably, face masks are a condition of entry.

I'm no expert - but I suspect that it would be preferred if these are not of the type which some of Adamsdown's less respectable residents might have previously favoured.

(For people unfamiliar with certain areas of Cardiff, I believe that one secure compound on Adam Street is used for a very similar purpose to some better known establishments on Southall Street, Manchester and Du Cane Road, London ... .)

Seriously though, Lord & Butler is one of several places I really hope I get the chance to visit, very soon. I've always found the guys there very helpful - and a real pleasure to do business with.

Huw.

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

On a serious note, understandably, face masks are a condition of entry

Rob. 

The measures put in place at the shop rather sum up Peter and Adrian 's  approach to their business and in particular their customers.

Rather than make light of it , I mentioned this to highlight it for the benefit of persons who may attend the shop without one. 

The boys have put this in place to safeguard themselves and their customers and as I say , it's a condition of entry..They have provided some face masks of their own but they could easily run out. 

Turn up without one therefore and though embarrassing for all concerned, you may well be refused entry 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
Spelling

• RMweb Gold

My apologies if my comments caused any offence.

They certainly weren't intended to - especially in view of a number of people having recently made some light hearted comments, elsewhere on this site, about certain dodgy individuals and face coverings.

Anyone who knows me would also know that I've always been law abiding - and that I've never found crime even remotely amusing. I've also got a number of elderly relatives - so I also tend to take health issues very seriously.

Anyone who really knows me would also know that my standpoints are never likely to change.

Perhaps I could also mention that, when I worked in a university, I often found that it seemed to help in putting serious points across if I drew attention to something I definitely did not mean - or if I found some other offbeat way of saying something. I'm afraid this is just my way of saying things.

Ultimately, this was all I was trying to do here - but my apologies if this was taken in a different way to what was intended and if any offence was caused.

Returning to the face masks, I've already got a sensible stock (of both disposable and washable types) - which I'm ready to use as and when needed.

Regards,

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths

• 1 month later...

Hello chaps and chapesses,

Here's an update from Lord and Butler by way of a new video showing the post-Covid arrangements plus new stock (as of three weeks ago).

Interestingly, as you will see from the video, those of a rather more nervous disposition can arrange to have personal viewing of the stock, if they so wish, to avoid unnecessary contact.

Cheers,

Philip

Edit: I forgot to say: Who ya gonna call? 029 2066 7225

Edited by Philou
Tel No.

• 5 months later...

During this period of uncertainty and lockdown (and I understand that of tonight our friends in Scotty-land are under full lockdown), Lord and Butler will be doing 'click and collect' until further notice. You can also call the shop on 029 20 667 225 or leave an e-mail on info@lordandbutler.com for mail order. Peter advises me that the shop is pretty well stocked and there are new arrivals on the way.

Cheers, Happy New Year to you all and stay safe,

Philip

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Philou said:

During this period of uncertainty and lockdown (and I understand that of tonight our friends in Scotty-land are under full lockdown), Lord and Butler will be doing 'click and collect' until further notice. You can also call the shop on 029 20 667 225 or leave an e-mail on info@lordandbutler.com for mail order. Peter advises me that the shop is pretty well stocked and there are new arrivals on the way.

Cheers, Happy New Year to you all and stay safe,

Philip

Yep, Peter has got things in hand and the click and collect provision is working jolly well. 

Rob. 

Hi all,

Does anyone how/when this click and collect service is operating?

I've phoned the shop a few times today and no answer, I've been out shopping and just drove to the shop to find it shut.

There also hasn't been any update on the shop website or Facebook page.

Thanks in advance.