Bluebell railway extension

Michael Delamar

• RMweb Premium

I also look forward to the day when approaching East Croydon that I can announce 'Change here for stations to Oxted, Uckfield, East Grinsted, Kingscote, Horsted Keynes and Sheffield Park'.

Be interesting to see if anyone actually notices!!!

• RMweb Premium

If I hear that announced I'll come up and introduce myself!  Not planning on being there this year sadly.  Next expected trip is August 2014 to include a family wedding but which will also include a London Victoria - Brighton ride via East Grinstead, Sheffield Park and Lewes.  

• RMweb Premium

Is the colour-light signalling provided perhaps as the easiest (and likely therefore cheapest) solution to interfacing with NR at East Grinstead?

At present the 'interface' at East Grinstead is a 4 lever ground frame released by the 'one engine in steam' train staff (which for operational reasons is actually a key token). For incoming trains the token has to be transported from Kingscote to E. Grinstead by road, a similar procedure happening in reverse after a train has left Bluebell metals. While E Grinstead has been given a fixed yellow colour light distant, this is simply because reflectorised signs don't work well when the locos only have paraffin headcode lamps.

Eventually and I do mean eventually E Grinstead will be controlled from Kingscote with power signalling. Interestingly though the plan is that instead of using traditional levers, the north box at Kingscote will be fired with a 1930s miniature lever frame (as per Waterloo box). Kingscote station and the southern approaches although controlled from this frame will remain semaphores, although motor worked and the current 'temporary' box will go.

• RMweb Premium

That is one very smart job on the track/ballast. What a great time for the 'pioneers'; well done everyone down in my old stomping grounds; oh to return to work at Kingscote, especially in the height of summer. Memories, memories.......

P

I wonder if they need to turn their locos, which direction is the steepest gradient?  (and I suspect that colour lights were both more available and cheaper than semaphores)

When i was last there in November i was told it was 1 in 58 climbing one side of Imberhome bridge with a level track panel under the bridge and a falling 1 in 60 the other side im pretty sure that is what it was though it may have changed.

• RMweb Premium

Elsewhere on RMweb, someone was suggesting that the Mogul might struggle up here in the wet. I know the stock was empty, but even so....

i hope not! - Presumably the gradient has been calculated for even the small locos and a heavy train.....

• RMweb Gold

Elsewhere on RMweb, someone was suggesting that the Mogul might struggle up here in the wet. I know the stock was empty, but even so....

It might appear to be struggling but at the moment there is a 10mph speed restriction on this section, that will be lifted before the formal opening this coming weekend.

Is the colour-light signalling provided perhaps as the easiest (and likely therefore cheapest) solution to interfacing with NR at East Grinstead?  

According the the Bluebell's own updates it was down to a national shortage of electric signal motors!!

http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/ext/extprog.html#4feb13

and scroll down to 10 August update.

ive recentley been watching an old video from 1990 where Bluebell traffic manager John Hill is interviewed, saying they have just restored a class 9f after 20 years inactivity and also just opened a 1 mile mile extension, extending to 6 miles with the hope to get back to East Grinstead. talking about the importance of connecting with the national network.

that was 23years ago.

No particular relevance but in the same week the Bluebell will achieve the triumph of expansion into the National Network, the National Network will have contracted (as of Friday) by the withdrawal of the coal traffic from Bristol to Didcot power station (admittedly due to the PS closure).............

We'll need the steam loco's as the electricity starts to run out.............

Wishing the Bluebell the very best of success for this weekend and future operation..................

• RMweb Gold

It might appear to be struggling but at the moment there is a 10mph speed restriction on this section, that will be lifted before the formal opening this coming weekend.

Indeed, Graham. What I intended to imply was that the loco sounded entirely sure-footed in the wet, just as the class used to when climbing from Deepdene to Dorking Town, past my school.....

My comments about the power of the U boat and struggling uphill are based upon the facts having worked on the loco in question and several other U's i was just pointing out that its fairly steep climb there only a class 4 so it might and probably will find it a struggle sometimes with a load of 6 or more.

Archived