Bluebell railway extension

Michael Delamar

• RMweb Premium

That video is fabulous and shows the vast amount of hard work that has been done by the Bluebell team.  The way that the railway ahs come together over the last few weeks is unbelievable especially after all the bad weather this winter.  It really is a credit to the vision and perseverance of all involved.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Today is the day! - I will be at West Hoathly station, closer to the car than being on the line somewhere!

If you are travelling from Central London, there is Railway engineering, so check your trains before departing!

Btw - Its raining in Sussex !!

Plus! Video Kingscote to East Grinstead....

Great piece of video which brings out the scale of the task - particularly the amount of spoil to be shifted out of the cutting (but the side of that cutting still looks awfully steep?).

My first trip on the Bluebell was in 1960, when the line ended at a large heap of sleepers at Bluebell Halt, preventing progress into HK, which was still occupied by the big railway. With two working locos and a massive amount of money to find to buy the original section of line, who in those days would have envisaged a return to East Grinstead?

Congratulations to all those involved over so many years.  

Best wishes

Eric   

Eric, the cutting may look steep but if you look at this video about 3m 16s in at Medstead on the Mid Hants, that looks pretty steep too?

Maybe it looks worse on the Bluebell as it's new, once ground cover has established itself it might look less severe?

Eric, the cutting may look steep but if you look at this video about 3m 16s in at Medstead on the Mid Hants, that looks pretty steep too?

Maybe it looks worse on the Bluebell as it's new, once ground cover has established itself it might look less severe?

Agreed. But doesn't it depend on what is underneath? If it is a stable, solid piece of rock, then it would generally not be a problem. If it is a couple of decades of East Grinstead's household waste (of dubious provenance), then it might be somewhat less stable. However, after the last 12 months, I am sure that those involved will have had more than enough opportunity to observe the effects of heavy rainfall and to make their own professional judgement of the drainage and stability.

Best wishes

Eric       

• RMweb Premium

It's a cold, snowy day in Sussex! I spent from 07:45 until just after 1pm beside the line. I will be adding the 'photos over the course of the weekend, will also be back tomorrow for the Golden Arrow Champagne Breakfast!

In the meantime, these 'photos are from the 07:30 ex-Sheffield Park ecs: http://www.nealball.smugmug.com/Trains/Bluebell-Railway-Sheffield/Bluebell-Railway-opens-to-EG

• RMweb Premium

That made the hairs on my neck stand up, as I have dreamed of the Bluebell getting there for about 25 years, since I first looked at moving to East Grinstead, when half of the houses that we viewed were on the Imberhorne Estate, in the shadow of that amazing viaduct.

Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

Stewart

ps - just been off on your website and love the pictures there of the first day - what a momentous moment for the heritage railway movement

• RMweb Premium

I did a short video today from the 09:30 Pullman - that is also on the website. It's my first video, so nothing fantastic, but it shows the viaduct and as much of the town you can see over the wall from the right hand side of the train. 

It is in the same section of the website.

• RMweb Premium

I did a short video today from the 09:30 Pullman - that is also on the website. It's my first video,

nice one - seen it on website and had I still been living down South, I'd have been at Grinstead, snow or no snow.  It seems that a splendid day ensued

• RMweb Gold

It seems that a splendid day ensued

Neal seems to have suffered to get his pics in really lousy weather, so I'm grateful. While the day was horrid weatherwise, the future of this landmark line must be even more rosy than ever. Whatever happens with fuel prices, punters will still be able to reach the line by public transport, and that is such an advantage. Clever Bluebell!

• RMweb Premium

That made the hairs on my neck stand up, as I have dreamed of the Bluebell getting there for about 25 years, since I first looked at moving to East Grinstead, when half of the houses that we viewed were on the Imberhorne Estate, in the shadow of that amazing viaduct.

Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

Stewart

ps - just been off on your website and love the pictures there of the first day - what a momentous moment for the heritage railway movement

Thanks very much for your comments Stewart.

nice one - seen it on website and had I still been living down South, I'd have been at Grinstead, snow or no snow.  It seems that a splendid day ensued

Thanks 45156

Neal seems to have suffered to get his pics in really lousy weather, so I'm grateful. While the day was horrid weatherwise, the future of this landmark line must be even more rosy than ever. Whatever happens with fuel prices, punters will still be able to reach the line by public transport, and that is such an advantage. Clever Bluebell!

Thanks Ian, Yes the weather was lousy yesterday, today whilst drier, was bitterly cold at the railway.

I thoroughly enjoyed myself yesterday, but just as well I was close to the car, i don't think I could have done it without it. Today felt even colder as I was not dressed to wander the track-side, you have to be smart on the Golden Arrow!

Thanks very much for all your comments - next batch of 'photos about to go up! - Enjoy

• RMweb Premium

And very nice too Neal - although I do think that snow effect was a bit too heavy on some of them ;)

I agree - note to self, do not use that photoshop new add-in so much!

Standing beside the line (where obviously I was a semi-permanent fixture from 07:45), checking to see when the next train would come through the tunnel before getting into position. I had some fella shouting are in my "you are in my way!" Patience would clearly be a virtue, but which photographer is going to stand 6ft next to the line to take a 'photo! - Madness (He was on the footpath 1/4 mile away.

• RMweb Gold

Excellent work by all those involved, not really my cup of tea but it's nice to see such projects go to completion.

I believe GBRF have (or are going to) named 66739 "Bluebell Railway" (to be confirmed as I'm not sure of the working) (and it's also been repainted, it was one of the ex Freightliner (66579) ones they've had running around)

Excellent work by all those involved, not really my cup of tea but it's nice to see such projects go to completion.

I believe GBRF have (or are going to) named 66739 "Bluebell Railway" (to be confirmed as I'm not sure of the working) (and it's also been repainted, it was one of the ex Freightliner (66579) ones they've had running around)

I think the plan is that this Thursday that Class 66 and 2 Class 73's (the set code says 66+73 above the timings but in the set descriptions it lists x2 Clkass 73's) will top and tail a railtour from London Victoria to Sheffield Park where it then runs back up to Horsted Keynes the Class 66 will be named. Then I think the 2 Class 73's top and tail a train(formed of Bluebell stock) from Horsted Keynes to East Grinstead, then East Grinstead to Sheffield Park and back to Horsted. Then I think the railtour departs back for London from Horsted). According to the Bluebell's Opening Festival programme.

• RMweb Premium

I think the plan is that this Thursday that Class 66 and 2 Class 73's (the set code says 66+73 above the timings but in the set descriptions it lists x2 Clkass 73's) will top and tail a railtour from London Victoria to Sheffield Park where it then runs back up to Horsted Keynes the Class 66 will be named. Then I think the 2 Class 73's top and tail a train(formed of Bluebell stock) from Horsted Keynes to East Grinstead, then East Grinstead to Sheffield Park and back to Horsted. Then I think the railtour departs back for London from Horsted). According to the Bluebell's Opening Festival programme.

Yes that is correct - The train 66 & 73's depart Horsted Keynes at 16:40 for the journey back to London Victoria.

Saw that particular Class 66 pulled out of the paint shop at Eastleigh Works this morning, now in the latest GBRf Europorte livery. Bluebell Railway nameplates were covered over. Can't post my photo unfortuantely as I rather stupidly took it inside the Works boundary (I was there officially), but it was visible from the main road at lunch time.

Kind regards,

Dan

• RMweb Premium

That video makes me want to move back to Sussex immediately!! Kingscote (where I used to do station duties) looks great and I wonder if that building supplies site will ever become available? Turntable?

The climb out of 'cote is going to make for great sound effects. Wonder if the Station House is still available for rent?

This is superb work and there seems so much room 'up the top'. Imberhorne Viaduct and the EG Station area look wonderful.

This will be one very popular destination for 'specials' now.

Congratulations to all those involved and may your railway go from strength to strength. I shall be visiting later in the year.

P @ 36E

Archived