Bluebell railway extension

Michael Delamar

Saw this rather strange loco down there on Sunday. Can't work out where they store the coal and water though - is the tender under repair? ...

post-6908-126986622091_thumb.jpg

:D

That green thing looks remakably like the 2nd water tender described for the King, with its coach like profile? Maybe they get the coal in those small bags from the local garages along the route, so that solves the problem!

Well. It' s finally happened. The C class failed, resulting in the 3pm train being hauled by the 08.

http://bluebell-rail.../whats_new.html

They have, however, bought (or would have appeared to have bought) a Sentinel shunter for the C&W dept to do the weekday shunts. No danger of this being used as it has no piped brakes.

• RMweb Premium

Nest Saturday (5th June) see's the final open day at East Grinstead before it becomes a station.

There is also the opportunity of walking to the edge of the tip - again a last as GBrf are due at some point in June to start taking the tip away.

Regards,

Neal.

• 2 weeks later...

I presume that when rubbish trains start, the platform loop will be used for the locomotive to run around the wagons before propelling them backwards towards the tip? Or are there plans to station a shunter at the site for the duration of the digging?

Thats a good question not sure but i did read some where that the section of track layed off the run round loop was something to do with the tip trains movement... but sadly can't remember... but still good for me as My layout of fictional East Grinstead is starting to look pretty fictional! biggrin.gif

Liking the tamper action also!

• RMweb Premium

Thats a good question not sure but i did read some where that the section of track layed off the run round loop was something to do with the tip trains movement... but sadly can't remember...

The spur off the run round at East Grinstead is in case they need to pull a carriage out of the consist.

• RMweb Premium

Just for interest the Bluebell site has been updated with various bits of news and some new photos.

http://www.bluebell-...ml#junejuly2010

The main thing appears to be that the priority is spoil removal and the platform opening is going to have to wait as they want to concentrate on getting the test spoil removal trains running as a priority.

Jamie

So they're having to allow MORE diesels on the Bluebell....

BTW, the RVR/KESR extension has now reached Junction Road, and a level crossing gate has been installed. See the RVR website for details.

• RMweb Gold

Looking ahead by a couple of decades, would the Bluebell consider restoring double track between East Grinstead and Horsted Keynes, just as it was originally?

Just a (distracted) thought....

I have no connection with the Bluebell other than as an admirer, but I would have thought not. The costs of installing and maintaining a parallel line would not seem to be justified by extra attraction of customers. Unless something miraculous happens in terms of new visitors, for which expensive new car parks and other facilities would be needed first, numbers are not going to pay for such works, which would not be needed for more than a handful of weekends per year anyway. I suspect that the Bluebell has its pipe dreams securely wrapped for the heady days when money is coming out of its ears, but this may not be among them.

• RMweb Premium

I think getting the Woodpax site sorted for covered storage is probably before any further line work once East Grinstead is up and running.

Reading some articals the other day about what happens next... They are looking at ardingly but it is a long term vision, as the Re-signaling of Horsted over the past years was done so when and if trains would run to Ardingly.

The is how ever the problem of a missing viaduct. The Bluebell have tried to Bridge the gap sliightly with spoil from the tip which was dumped at the end of the spur.

Would be a long time before anything happens on that front, as i still expect it would take maybe a year or more to actually connect to east grinstead pending on cost, and how quickley they can raise the funds.

• RMweb Premium

Reading some articals the other day about what happens next... They are looking at ardingly but it is a long term vision, as the Re-signaling of Horsted over the past years was done so when and if trains would run to Ardingly.

The is how ever the problem of a missing viaduct. The Bluebell have tried to Bridge the gap sliightly with spoil from the tip which was dumped at the end of the spur.

Would be a long time before anything happens on that front, as i still expect it would take maybe a year or more to actually connect to east grinstead pending on cost, and how quickley they can raise the funds.

The railway has met with the developer who is going to redevelop Haywards Heath station, in an effort to ensure there is platform space for the Bluebell. Although any trains through to Ardingly are a good few years away.

The missing viaduct, was a small one and a bridge will now suffice.

East Grinstead should open to through trains from Sheffield Park next Summer. (2011) - The local council has just donated £50k to the project - loads more money is still needed.

****The first spoil train arrives July 6th to take away more of the tip****

• 2 weeks later...

I have no connection with the Bluebell other than as an admirer, but I would have thought not. The costs of installing and maintaining a parallel line would not seem to be justified by extra attraction of customers. Unless something miraculous happens in terms of new visitors, for which expensive new car parks and other facilities would be needed first, numbers are not going to pay for such works, which would not be needed for more than a handful of weekends per year anyway. I suspect that the Bluebell has its pipe dreams securely wrapped for the heady days when money is coming out of its ears, but this may not be among them.

Strangely enough, I asked the chairman of the society if there were plans to double part of the line when I did the 473 bus, and he said it's been seriously considered but they want to get to EG first. I think they were talking about doubling between HK and KC rather than HK to EG, and then just having token equipment for the ends of the line and eventually the Ardingly branch. Long, long time in the future though. I still think a West Hoathly station would be best, due to the presence of platform faces it would be a rebuild not a new build (due to the gradient down from the tunnel a new build station would be impossible under current regulations) so they could probably get away with it. Trouble is the local villagers don't want it.

• RMweb Premium

........... I still think a West Hoathly station would be best, due to the presence of platform faces it would be a rebuild not a new build (due to the gradient down from the tunnel a new build station would be impossible under current regulations) so they could probably get away with it. Trouble is the local villagers don't want it.

I think the day is approaching very fast when the villagers at Sharpthorne / West Hoathly will be asking the Bluebell to re-instate the station, maybe a couple of years (or less) after EG is reached....

They will soon realise that the Bluebell could open up their village to the outside world, without bringing additional road traffic and that would mean they can get to the outer world easier.

Archived