Caledonian Compo coaches in GWR livery.

• RMweb Premium

I found this coach on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIANG-Hornby-R26-Caledonian-Compo-in-GWR-livery-EXCL-/141043206523?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item20d6d4897b

Now, I tried to do research into the circumstances & historical background of the coach but I did not find anything. I assume the coach is for after the Grouping but I could be wrong.

If anyone has any information on the history or just an opinion of the model in general, it would be appreciated

This model is one of several that Tri-ang re-liveried. Others include the short GWR clerestory coaches, which can be found in LNER and MR colours.

It is a fair model of the Caledonian coaches that ran behind 123 and, in CR livery, is OK, provided you can accept the BR Mk1 underframe and bogies.

It was re-liveried as a GWR coach, pretending to be in 1922-28 colours, but it has no actual GWR prototype. (See also http://www.gwr.org.uk/kits4rtrcoaches.html )

It's probably more attractive as a collector's item, for its curiosity value.

Regards,

Rob

• RMweb Premium

As Rob says it is a fair impression of the Caleys Grampian Coaches. The major flaws being the bow ends and the Mk1 underframe (with 4 wheeled bogies). They can be made much better by the re-working of the underframe and ends. I have a collection of them sat in a box, put by for a rainey day whan they will be reworked into the shorter caley coaches.

The box contains the following liveries: GWR, LMS and SR, but no Caley!

Andy G

My first Triang British-outline coach* was an LMS one of those. I still have it somewhere. As noted, it is the venerable Triang Mk1 with different sides and roof. The one I have doesn't even have an interior (nor does the one you linked to).

*I had a couple of CN coaches before that.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

This model is one of several that Tri-ang re-liveried. Others include the short GWR clerestory coaches, which can be found in LNER and MR colours.

It is a fair model of the Caledonian coaches that ran behind 123 and, in CR livery, is OK, provided you can accept the BR Mk1 underframe and bogies.

It was re-liveried as a GWR coach, pretending to be in 1922-28 colours, but it has no actual GWR prototype. (See also http://www.gwr.org.uk/kits4rtrcoaches.html )

It's probably more attractive as a collector's item, for its curiosity value.

Regards,

Rob

So it never existed then?

Not in GWR livery, though the versions in LMS livery would be correct of course (not that the rendition of this is very good - The original 'Caley' ones look much better).

It and the matching 1st/3rd are supposedly Caledonian Railway coaches originally made to run with Tri-ang's model of CR no. 123. The real locomotive in preservation runs with a pair of CR 57 foot (IIRC) coaches. The models correspond more nearly to the longer 'Grampian stock, which, as stated already, should have six wheel bogies (and standard gangways rather than the BR Pullman type).

I have a pair that I intended to use as 'through' coaches (yet another to do project! - I did get as far as new gangways and modifying the BR bogies to something nearer the prototype ('Fox' type I think?) by removing the central spring detail). (Whether to reduce the length or to fit six wheel bogies was never decided!)

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Having put them over the correct drawing they aren't far off the dimensions, and with a new underframe and 6 wheeled bogies (I modded a pair of old BSL LMS 6 wheel ones for mine, and built up a truss rod underframe from bits of plasticard and handrail knobs and 0.45 handrail wire.) and the ends sorted they are quite passable. I'll try and dig out mine and take some photos and put them up on here.

The shorter 57' coaches will be more of a hack to get the windows in the correct place, I think I worked it out to need three coaches to make 2 shorter ones. I also must make another long one........

Andy G

• Like 2

Cannot really add too much that has not been said above. Reference to Miss Prism's thread shows how the ex Triang Coach may be more use on GW metals as a Caledonian coach rather than GWR.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72519-something-exotic-to-taunton-from-the-far-north/

Sent proving wifi does actually work on Eurostar

Mike Wiltshire

None of the Caley Type Tri-ang (Hornby) Coaches were fitted with an interior.

It was not thought worth the cost for a short run of two types of coach.

Of course, if Tri-ang had thought about "Company Liveries" before C1971, maybe they would have tooled an interior as a run of 4 different liveries may have worked out more cost effective.

As it was, for the cost of tooling two coaches worth of sides (4 in total) Tri-ang got another rake of coaches. (I think the roof was also of BR MK1 Composite Coach derivation...

The Caley coaches were used for Caledonian  Railway (White and later Grey roofs), G.W.R., L.M.S. and S.R. Liveries.

The L.N.E.R.got the "Thompson" type coaches. Again just the sides were new tooling, and no interiors were made.

Edited by Sarahagain

[How silly.  I had almost finished composing a post when it disappeared to be replaced by some guff about suggested sites.  I'll try again!]

A couple of years ago Stuart Porteous - 'stuartp' of this parish as he then was - did a heroic job of turning the Hornby Caledonian BCK into a pretty realistic model. Someone more adept than I at using the search facility may be able to find the thread.  All I could find was my own post expressing admiration of Stuart's work but it's in there somewhere!

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Heres some views of my effort to make the compo more Caley like:

post-8375-0-59959200-1377679378.jpg

The modified BSL LMS 6 wheeled bogie:

post-8375-0-92505100-1377679391.jpg

Another general view:

post-8375-0-82046900-1377679402.jpg

End. Still to finish the gangway!

post-8375-0-39246900-1377679413.jpg

Roof vents are 51L Midland ones:

post-8375-0-10118100-1377679424.jpg

Underframe view, bits of plasticard and handrail wire and knobs:

post-8375-0-08495400-1377679434.jpg

Doesn't look too bad, but I need to sort the lining out (I've now got a bow pen, so I'll be practising on this beast at some point!

Andy G

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I have one of these, now in bits. The panelling and window arrangements resemble some LSWR coaches but these were shorter. I would like to try a cut and shut job on the sides. Is there a source of drawings for LSWR coaches apart from the now ludicrously expensive s/h LSWR Carriages book?

Pete

I have one of these, now in bits. The panelling and window arrangements resemble some LSWR coaches but these were shorter. I would like to try a cut and shut job on the sides. Is there a source of drawings for LSWR coaches apart from the now ludicrously expensive s/h LSWR Carriages book?

Pete

Model Railway Construtor and Model Railway News did a fair number of drawings - see http://www.brmna.org/xref/cochsr.htm which is likely not a complete list.

Adrian

• 5 months later...

I wish people on Ebay would stop selling those things.

I don't ! I can cut 'em up and produce even greater atrocities !!!

I feel safe placing these photographs on here because, as yet, there is no 'blind rage' button to endorse postings. These two horrors were intended as no-cost quickies last autumn to see what was possible. The Grampian stock coach is finished and painted but I have no photos of it in the shirtbutton livery. The last job was sorting the roof and adding metal ventilators. It has full interior. Shockers though they are, they add variety to my endless successions of Hornby and Bachmann coaching stock.

002_zpsbf8c28b9.jpg

004_zps497a412e.jpg

The provenance of the next one is obvious.It runs as a Corridor First, the gullible believing the tale that the GWR converted it from a First Saloon in the mid-twenties, it continuing to run in service as a pleasing anomaly until 1947.

38717c79-5159-4e94-833a-02d8b047bb31_zps

f884a402-0b2f-49be-8378-dceffad65fb1_zps

Tony.

• Like 4

• 5 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, AVS1998 said:

Very late to the game here but I think you all know me by now!

I'm just looking into a Caledonian project (typical me, can't finish anything), and I was wondering if anyone knew the buffer length, from face to the buffer beam, for Caley coaches? They look quite long and I haven't got any drawings to refer to... 

Thanks in advance!

From memory, 65'. Which is why Triang-Hornby thought that they could get away with a BR Mk 1 underframe.

• RMweb Premium

Approx 21” approx. Shank length approx 15”, from the drawings in Jenks LMS carriages in 4mm book.

I used Wizards L&Y carriage buffers with the etched oval heads on mine.

Andy g

• Thanks 1

For Caley coaches?

You would be better asking in a different section, this is GWR and probably not frequented by many CR modellers....   ;) 

However if you want CR coach buffers, try Caley Coaches.

http://www.caleycoaches.co.uk/fitting.php

Grampian stock here with drawings on the instruction downloads. Note they have six wheel bogies.

http://www.caleycoaches.co.uk/grampian.php

Jason