DJH LNER G5 0-4-4t

TheGhostofNigelGresley

Recently emailed DJH as was interested in this kit, but wanted to try and fit a different engine and gearbox combo as I'm looking to go remote control/red arrow/infa red. The price listed for this starter kit includes wheels, motor and gearbox so I asked if they could give me a price excluding motor and gearbox ?

No, they can't, they won't sell it to me without engine or gearbox.

I can't have it.

Sigh..... 

Have you considered the Connoisseur kit?

Details at:

http://www.jimmcgeown.com/Loco Kit Pages/G5 Class LNER.html

You can also download the instructions to see what is involved in its construction.

As this kit is principally etched brass it may be easier to convert for battery operation and be lighter than the cast DJH kit.

The estimated cost for completing the Connoisseur kit is an interesting comparison to the DJH kit.

Regards.

Hi Chris,

Personally I would not have to think twice whose kit I would choose, Jim's kits are far better in correct scale and as far as I'm concerned w/metal is only good for making fishing weights.

Jim's kits are great to build and very well though out, not all have every single detail but these parts can be easily aquired through Laurie griffin or Ragstones.

DJH's loss if you ask me.

ATB,

Martyn.

Speaking for myself I would go with the Jim option, as he is a superb kit designer. However, if you must have the DJH, you can always sell on the motor and gearbox. There's a ready market for such things. OK, you might not get their true value, but you would certainly get a useful amount.

I would echo what others have said on this topic from personal experience. I purchased an o gauge J72 from DJH at the Warley show and when I got to assemble the kit I found that the grub screw for the worm gear was missing. I contacted DJH by telephone and found that them very difficult to deal with. They would only deal with the query via written letter and the amount of time that it too replace the grub screw was unacceptable. I had other issues with the chassis and finally replaced it with a premier models on which was a far better option. Not a very customer friend company in my experience and would go with  Connoisseur option.

the

Thanks Men, I'll have a think about what's been said.

The appeal of DJH's range to me, is some of the bigger options that come 'later in the range' like Standard Tanks and Fairburn's

Oh yes the " later " , you mean the one's with the wrongly angled cylinders, the list does go on......

Martyn.

Archived