Aldersgate buildings 4

Late night post so I am not going to supply much description.  I thought card modellers might be interested in the development of a building for Aldersgate inspired by Harwich House, now demolished which stood in Bishopsgate as part of the Liverpool Street Station complex.

It's pretty self evident how things develop.

Some challenges yet to come will be the modelling of the carved stonework including the lintels above the windows.  Any suggestions most welcome. 

I also tend to go public with my work in progress to give myself some pressure to complete!

post-6781-0-65567600-1377554251_thumb.jpg

Copy of original drawing (one day I will learn to do this on a computer!

post-6781-0-06093600-1377554262_thumb.jpg

Original drawing photocopied onto dressed stone from scalescenes for overlays

post-6781-0-15311800-1377554271_thumb.jpg

Brick sections stuck on in strips and then cut from windows to ensure good and straight across the building.

post-6781-0-53281200-1377554280_thumb.jpg

Entrances cut out and stone dressing begun

post-6781-0-77617100-1377554289_thumb.jpg

Watch this space but not for the next week or so!

Thanks for your interest.

Andrew

Hi George

Looking good, have you seen over on the scenery,structure and transport form recently,there is a similar building post #1767 under "Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

Looks like you heading into the same league.

Tel

Hi George

Looking good, have you seen over on the scenery,structure and transport form recently,there is a similar building post #1767 under "Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

Looks like you heading into the same league.

Tel

That's a great thread, I hadn't realised they were up to 70+ pages!

A

You know it might be worth looking in the cheapy shops and crafty places for a cheap pair of scrap-booking scissors such as the pair I used to cut out the decorative over-lintels on this pub model....

By cutting out two or three layers in thin-thicker-thin card you could make up something to look reasonable, very repeatable and neatly.

post-106-0-56316300-1377713383.jpg

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

Some more progress for those interested

I have been mostly sticking on the overlays of stone for the window area.  The traditional method used of cross cutting the open areas of windows and folding back either with the back of a knife or fingernail having applied glue stick to area behind windows.

post-6781-0-62768500-1378489174_thumb.jpg

post-6781-0-11657700-1378489181_thumb.jpg

post-6781-0-51083100-1378489186_thumb.jpg

post-6781-0-58154300-1378489192_thumb.jpg

post-6781-0-26394700-1378489199_thumb.jpg

post-6781-0-49080300-1378489205_thumb.jpg

Next steps window frame proper and glazing after which I will try to find a solution for representing carved stonework.

If you have been thanks for viewing.

Andrew

I have just finished glazing the ground floor on this elevation using Chubber's suggesed method and priniting the window drawing on a lable and cutting out the unwanted parts after the lable has been stuck on a sheet of plastic glazing.  Of course by this method the window frames fit perfectly since they are all from the same drawing of the wall and any imperfections from my original (manual) drawing are followed.  Don't ask why the second row down is 1mm shorter than the others, just don't ask.

Doug, this is a genius idea!

post-6781-0-23871400-1378721749_thumb.jpg

post-6781-0-45731800-1378721758_thumb.jpg

I have probably got to the point of not wanting to see another window frame for some time.  I have now finished one elevation of the building and have mounted it on 5mm foam board prior to assembling the full structure and fitting details.  The final structure will have only two sides showing so in a sense I am halfway there (I keep telling myself).

post-6781-0-63313900-1378987891_thumb.jpg

post-6781-0-43779100-1378987907_thumb.jpg

Next up is the end evelation which is rather more interesting and ornate.  I think I might have a break before launching into this....

post-6781-0-55386600-1378988103_thumb.jpg

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

That looks brilliant, really admire the stonework. Working in 2mm I found problems with windows and also discovered the white label method to be the best solution. Mainly I print the brick papers onto sticky labels as an easier way of fixing to the card base structure now as well as doing the windows. I also had issues getting/keeping edges crisp and sharp and mix brick papers/card build with plasticard/metal details. As such could I suggest you try using plasticard for the raised stonework bits, lintels etc. I think it should work if you can match the paint colour. It worked quite well with a Tendring lines station building I built.

Izzy

Thanks, there must be a supplier for lintels, arches, columns etc in plastic.  I could build them but it will be difficult to get them identical 

I'll probably request ideas in a post on the scenery forum rather than this one.  Any pictures/links to your Tendring building?

Andrew

Thanks, there must be a supplier for lintels, arches, columns etc in plastic.  I could build them but it will be difficult to get them identical 

I'll probably request ideas in a post on the scenery forum rather than this one.  Any pictures/links to your Tendring building?

Andrew

Andrew

How about making a master, then casting some in resin

• RMweb Premium

Andrew

I have a few rather poor shots of it, but they are not posted anywhere I'm afraid.  But thanks for asking. 

Izzy

I have probably got to the point of not wanting to see another window frame for some time.  I have now finished one elevation of the building and have mounted it on 5mm foam board prior to assembling the full structure and fitting details.  The final structure will have only two sides showing so in a sense I am halfway there (I keep telling myself).

attachicon.gifsash.jpg

attachicon.gifelevation.jpg

Next up is the end evelation which is rather more interesting and ornate.  I think I might have a break before launching into this....

attachicon.gifend elevation.jpg

Andrew

If you look at the end elevation in my drawing, -click on the jpeg link- you will see a stone cupola (or something, I am sure someone will know the correct term) looking like a minature temple on the corner of the building.  I think when it was knocked down they kept these and ...

post-6781-0-39736900-1380888891_thumb.jpg

there are at least two of them in the "stonemasons graveyard" that can be seen on the left hand side as one's train approaches Liverpool street.  

(Mrs GH thought the fact that I noticed this was further evidence of me being "a very strange little man indeed".  Oh well it takes all sorts.)

Trying to find some time to push things on.  Thanks for encouragement Job.

Andrew

• 1 month later...

Good evening: another update-ette from Aldersgate.

I haven't much to say but the pictures speak for themselves.  I am hoping to get the Aldersgate baseboards up again in the coming weeks or be it in a much truncated form to their previous guise.

post-6781-0-68022800-1384115701_thumb.jpg

post-6781-0-03837900-1384115729_thumb.jpg

post-6781-0-85315400-1384115763_thumb.jpg

only two sides will show on the layout so these are the only modelled.

Andrew

Archived