Aldersgate buildings 4

Here's a little something I just discovered.

How to replicate carvings and get more relief into the model

1.  Find some hobby cardmakers' stickers which provide edges and "frilly bits".  I got mine at the Range for £1 

2.  Print out (yet again) the original drawing,(this was on a lable i.e. sticky sheet) and fix your squiggles in position.

post-6781-0-13072600-1384435068_thumb.jpg

3. Paint squiggles to represent stone

post-6781-0-31902700-1384435083_thumb.jpg

4. Cut out work so far from the prepared sheet

post-6781-0-33124000-1384435102_thumb.jpg

5.  Position and stick on model creating stone relief work. 

post-6781-0-72370200-1384435131_thumb.jpg

Relax, since it took only 20 mins and the colour match in the original is much better than the photo!

Hope that's of some use.

Andrew

Yes I looked at these too in Paperchase.  You do have to glue them of course which make handling more difficult but the designs are normally symmetrical which is more typical of the real thing.

Some people will probably go to the the trouble of trying to copy specific carvings but this will do for me, it's very much in the spirit of John H. Ahearn, Peter Denny and other pioneers that I admire.

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi and thanks.  

I may do that, and I have some excellent plans from a local history site of Georgian shops in Artillery Row so they are in the pipeline too.  I am thinking of trying to cover some warehouses and commercial premises from Commercial Street going west which have all been gentrified as part of the "silicon roundabout" area.  I am also tempted to do a number of City buildings including the bank which is one of the few old buildings left in Aldersgate street.  The issue is how to replicated this level of stonework.

Regards and Happy Holidays

Andrew

Small postette.....

Ran out of styrene strip for stonework (no that's not card but stretching the forum slightly) more in the post apparently.

post-6781-0-71816000-1388790804_thumb.jpg

post-6781-0-12465200-1388790824_thumb.jpg

Feeling quite nervous about painting this so close to the excellent scalescene's paper!

Thanks for comments.  A lot of the final look is really in the brick paper, the rest is really choosing an interesting building and trying to keep everything as square as possible!

John, I am not yet tempted.  Post me a link to the ones you think are best.

Andrew

George

I don't have much idea that's why I am asking you. As usual I cant find the advert I wanted. In Decembers Railway Modeller there is a show you how using Redutex  www.redutex.com and an advert from www.dccsupplies,com/redutex. I think there is at least one other supplier as John Dutfield of Chelmsford http://www.johndutfieldmodelrailways.co.uk/ stock a range which is different. As the packing is totally different and a lot cheaper

I never knew that shop existed and it's only half an hour's drive.  I'll check out the range. Thanks.

George

My daughter lives in Chelmsford so I only visit it rarely, super shop and knowledgeable staff. And what seems to be a good selection of items

Archived