Coombe Viaduct, Saltash and the Royal Albert Bridge

Kris

33 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Kris, based on a) how it looks on my monitor and b) convenience of use, I'd use the Halford's spray.

And it’s Halfords grey for me as well. On my tablet it looks like the Halfords is already weathered as well. How much filament have you used on this print so far.

Keith

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, KeithHC said:

And it’s Halfords grey for me as well. On my tablet it looks like the Halfords is already weathered as well. How much filament have you used on this print so far.

Keith

It's a little hard to say just how much filament that I have used as I have been printing other things. For this version however I would guess that I have used between 2kg and 3kg. The remaining print should be less than 1kg.

• Thanks 1

On 30/01/2021 at 16:46, Kris said:

Having spent much of a wet a dismal day researching colour, it would appear that I do need something similar to the colour that can be seen today. I have tried a grey that I have in stock but I feel that it is too blue and possibly not light enough. The colour on the main bridge span is Halfords undercoat grey (a single light coat) the colour on the approach span is Humbrol No87 matt steel grey. Suggestions, comments and ideas welcome. 

IMG_5290.jpeg.f4cdd9169b4b139bebfd4bfbe1d78d45.jpeg

Why not use Montana spray paints? Loads of different greys and way better quality than Humbrol and Halfords and cheaper too. You want the black or gold range as they are Matt.  Available online and can be delivered too.

I would be careful with a Halfords 1k car paint on 3D printed resin.

Bridge is looking awesome.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Rhysb said:

Why not use Montana spray paints? Loads of different greys and way better quality than Humbrol and Halfords and cheaper too. You want the black or gold range as they are Matt.  Available online and can be delivered too.

I would be careful with a Halfords 1k car paint on 3D printed resin.

Bridge is looking awesome.

I've never heard of Montana spray paints but will look into them. As to not using the Halfords undercoat spray on the 3D printed resin, it works fine. I've been using it on 3D printed items for over a year now with no issues. 

Edited by Kris
typo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There is a wonderful variety of colours there, I had not found it previously. I did find a reference to say that the colour in 1952 was the same as today, The very light "Goose grey".

• Like 1

By coincidence (?), Goose grey (BS 00A05) is a very close match to the old BR Rail Grey (BR Spec 81)* seen on countless coaches back in the 'seventies.  Nice to know RAB was first!

Not that it matters now, but from memory, I'd have agreed with some of the comments up-thread, that the bridge was a darker grey during the 'sixties and 'seventies.  One of the upper layers in the Network Rail pic.  Your model is stunning so far, looking forward to seeing the intricate girder work - rather you than me!

* There's a BR blue/grey chart on my blog if it's of interest.

Edited by Platform 1
corrected RAB (from RAH: losing marbles)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Platform 1 said:

By coincidence (?), Goose grey (BS 00A05) is a very close match to the old BR Rail Grey (BR Spec 81)* seen on countless coaches back in the 'seventies.  Nice to know RAH was first!

Not that it matters now, but from memory, I'd have agreed with some of the comments up-thread, that the bridge was a darker grey during the 'sixties and 'seventies.  One of the upper layers in the Network Rail pic.  Your model is stunning so far, looking forward to seeing the intricate girder work - rather you than me!

* There's a BR blue/grey chart on my blog if it's of interest.

That RAL number is very interesting. I have sourced a paint with a very close number and colour that I am going to try out (coincidentally I was shaking the paint tin to mix it as I was reading this. The colour will be a fraction darker than the Goose greys RAL of 2035 but that could be accounted for by rain or weathering (or both). 

798437875_Screenshot2021-02-02at14_18_13.png.bf32f1d363621fa2d621e43f19d33f8e.png

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I think I have a reasonable match for a base colour of the arches and bridge decks. It's appears very pale but the real thing is remarkably pale as well. for most of the bridge I have only put a single coat on so far, but the second coat deepens the colour a little. I am not happy with the colour I have painted the piers, it's much to dark. I shall see what some white washes over it will do but I suspect that I will be hunting for a different colour. For these, when dry they appear light grey blue but when wet, lots of browns appear. 

The paint was still very wet when I took the photos, the shine will vanish and the colour darken a fraction. 

I still have a lot more painting to do! 

IMG_5405.jpeg.81472bc36f70b9ab78153b2efe877181.jpeg1871856585_IMG_50695RoyalAlbertBridgewalk.jpeg.b7e6e9ca9ffd1f88593c4b7b72c36215.jpegIMG_5411.jpeg.a4e78542a122f7587c40a45842f65e22.jpeg1664470659_IMG_50662RoyalAlbertBridgewalk.jpeg.0b837813ca23db013972fffffb769210.jpeg1087356691_IMG_50751RoyalAlbertBridgewalk.jpeg.03a83fb828005a7eb9a236a75b63534f.jpeg

Edited by Kris
  • Like 17

I'm interested that you are modelling the Baptist Church it burnt down one Christmas in the 80's. I think it was 1987

I lived just round the corner from it and was on call that night. Called out twice before midnight I drove past it then had along shout at 0100 coming back home at 0600 to see it a burnt out wreck of a once stately building.

Edited by robert17649
spelin
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, robert17649 said:

I'm interested that you are modelling the Baptist Church it burnt down one Christmas in the 80's. I think it was 1987

I lived just round the corner from it and was on call that night. Called out twice before midnight I drove past it then had along shout at 0100 coming back home at 0600 to see it a burnt out wreck of a once stately building.

I am modelling the early mid 1950's, so it had to be the older building. (The new one looks rather soulless compared to it - in my eyes). It's a building that was very hard to find photos of, so there is a bit of guestimation. It is however a very visible non railway building that sets the scene. 

• RMweb Premium

The paint brushes were out again today and the first coat is finished (on the visible side anyhow! - spot the cheat). Many of the bits are still just resting in place so if you look closely you will see bits that are out of line etc. I also noticed the the bridge girders over the land are a different colour to the main bridge  section in 1:1 scale so I have repainted these on the model to match. At the moment these colours are very much just a base coat to be worked on.  It is also very noticeable just how much the colour seems to change as you get further from the camera. 

IMG_5422.jpeg.b09354bb80748bd93b34ea08366dd7a8.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Premium

The squares A and B are exactly the same colour. Get a piece of paper and make two small holes in it and hold it up to the screen so you can only see the squares A and B to prove it.

Checker_shadow_illusion.png.558f4bfafa2d951a7ac0f19b71efdefc.png

Adelson’s Checkers Shadow

Edited by Ian Morgan
re-loaded image
  • Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

Three pictures of the bridge taken from beneath on the estuary in 2008. It's funny how photographs can confuse as well./ It look s like the road bridge is out of shape and has a hump by the upright, but it's where they have extended the bridge deck beyond the support.

DCP_0131.JPG.678d97524d25f01fe8c031a43d1312fb.JPG

DCP_0129.JPG.02045fe8685ca12182de80ec86592e4c.JPG

DCP_0130.JPG.c627b01885cda11ad628b07db293496e.JPG

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

It's been much too cold to be in the shed for the past few days so very little has happened. The one bit that I managed to do has been a bill board that was beside the buildings under the bridge in Saltash. This would have been here to get the attention of all the ferry passengers before the road bridge was built. The posters that I have found are all date the layout to the summer of 1956 however they are small enough to pass for earlier or later (and just how obsessed would you need to be to know the dates of advertising posters?)

IMG_5491.jpeg.7d8bc583024ba7f7e2102458e1a81815.jpegIMG_5518.jpeg.acd3690782d2080cbeb5ef24580fdad3.jpeg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, richbrummitt said:

I think posters for movie releases date things quite well if the observer knows when that particular movie was released. When I first spotted the Aliens poster on P4 New Street a date was immediately made clear to me. 

I agree that film posters are the most easily datable. The one that I have used is Godzilla. This version of this was released in 1956 (During December in the UK rather than the summer).

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Inspired by the class 800 I have gotten out some paint and a little brush to allow me to make some further progress with the biggest of the bridges. 

Looking back at the photos that I took when I walked across the bridge I find that the deck is a dark brown (not the black that I thought it was) so I have started the process of painting this. Painting is much easier when you take the arch off! 

Not shown on the photo but equally important, I have joined the track in the middle of the bridge so that a train can make the full journey across for the first time. 

Not the most inspiring of photos and somehow a lego castle has found its way under the bridge (I don't remember there being one of those there in real life :lol:

IMG_7828.jpeg.f8ed0528d497d7fabc3e3c23c175919b.jpeg

• Like 11

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's been a long time since there has been an update, mostly because I could not get into the shed. I can now get in there so have spent that last few minutes trying to rediscover some of the modelling MoJo. Not sure if I have managed that, but I have placed some droppers ready for soldering. One step closer to a running railway. 

IMG_1904.jpeg.8cf713f19dba6edb34d103f81f4505fa.jpegIMG_1908.jpeg.971f36ebbe765d1637ab120338d3b511.jpeg

• Like 19