Coombe Viaduct, Saltash and the Royal Albert Bridge

Kris

• RMweb Premium

How far to the west do you plan to extend in the future? The carriage sidings at Wearde which were on Brunel's original route before the 1908 inland deviation was opened have always intrigued/interested me although this may be a little far from the viaduct....however the goods loop before this could certainly be done and perhaps in the reality of your model Defiance Halt never closed? Such potential is what makes the creative possibilities of modelling great! :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

How far to the west do you plan to extend in the future? The carriage sidings at Wearde which were on Brunel's original route before the 1908 inland deviation was opened have always intrigued/interested me although this may be a little far from the viaduct....however the goods loop before this could certainly be done and perhaps in the reality of your model Defiance Halt never closed? Such potential is what makes the creative possibilities of modelling great! :)

Can't say that I have considered extending west much, but if I did I think that I would be unlikely to go beyond the first over bridge, just to the east of Wearde. The first extension that I intend to do (one day - just don't know which one yet) will be to include the goods yard to Culver rd bridge. Extensions however require time and space.

Can't say that there is much progress is always show from the last few weeks. Outside of holiday time I am lucky to get to spend more than a few minutes a week on modelling of any kind.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's been a long time since there was any progress on Coombe viaduct. Today however was a red letter day. Having spent a lot of time recently I decided that I should take a few minutes to do something to Coombe. I spent a few minutes grassing up the west end. The flash really does not do it any favours! The wagons are only there to give a sense of scale, and are all works in progress.

IMG_7188.jpg.d9112f56dcab424d8b93c96e687c93a2.jpg

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A few weeks have passed since the last post but things have not stood still, quite! Over the past few weeks I have been looking hard at the viaduct. There is was a fence on the seaward side of the viaducts parapet. I've no idea what it was there for, however I guess that it may have been to give a place of refuge for those working trackside. I've made a best fit option of this using slightly modified Peco field fencing (really it should have 4 rails, but life is too busy to do this at the moment). I have place the fencing in place at the moment but will be gluing it down later, this will remove the bumps and wobbles that are present. 

The photos that I have seen of this fence in the early to mid 1950's seem to suggest that the fence was painted white. I would assume that this would soon weather to grey. I have tried to achieve this through a light coat of white over a grey primer. 

IMG_7961.jpg.b18fb2c32f9b20ac241a0683636e99a8.jpg

IMG_7962.jpg.75c6ec6cc125e3e4c4562c7ce0a9a945.jpg

IMG_7964.jpg.790bff4b83e1a324ec440d9fbf1fc78a.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the suggestion Pete, I'd not seen that, I'll have a closer look later. There is an option for an etched product but cost was prohibitive 

The 'fencing' is very fine on the viaduct, it is virtually invisible in real life so it might be an idea just to plant (very fine) posts and leave the horizontal wires off as they would be invisible in 2mm scale.

Edit-

Oops, you are modelling it in the 50s not the present day so ignore the above.

Edited by royaloak

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, royaloak said:

The 'fencing' is very fine on the viaduct, it is virtually invisible in real life so it might be an idea just to plant (very fine) posts and leave the horizontal wires off as they would be invisible in 2mm scale.

Edit-

Oops, you are modelling it in the 50s not the present day so ignore the above.

I didn't realise that there was fencing on there today, shows just how fine it is! Looking at historical photos it's possible to see the fencing from quite some distance so it must have been quite chunky. 

• RMweb Premium

This is really starting to take shape,  looks great!

At first I thought the fencing was the footpath that once ran along the outside of the viaduct but then realised this was on the West side, not the seaward side. I'm not sure if that path existed in the 50s?

Edited by alexross42
Typos/clarity

• RMweb Premium

The footpath was still there in the 50's, it's next on the list for creating (unless I get distracted and do something else instead!).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Having just looked a little further at the fencing I think that for the time being I will keep the fence I have as a "representation". At some point in the future I will look to improve it. Looking at the photo (some way down this page) http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/st-germans-excl-to-plymouth.html of the DMU crossing the viaduct it appears that the fence was possibly a metal construction with slim metal rails between the posts. To get this right it looks like I may need to create some form of home made fencing unless there is a sensibly priced commercial version that looks the part.

edit - How quickly things change. I just googled n gauge fence and found that someone was selling a 3d printed version that looks reasonable, so lets see what it is like. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323658378848?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true

Edited by Kris
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A damp morning has seen some progress on the footpath that appears to have been "tacked on" to the side of the viaduct. I have only attached it with bluetac at the moment to see how it looks. Once painted in black I think that it will look the part. 

IMG_7971.jpg

IMG_7973.jpg

IMG_7979.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've done a little more work on the path across the viaduct. Unfortunately in fitting it a couple of the pieces of fencing have come adrift (something to fix later). Now it is on the fencing does feel a little heavier than it appears in photos (

British Railways Western Region . 1023 "County of Oxford" . Coombe Viaduct , Saltash , Cornwall . June-1958 .

)

IMG_8260.jpg.be76f726af8601355ac1830339fc19fe.jpg

IMG_8261.jpg.2709f96693a0b2ee092867cf9c86057a.jpg

IMG_8263.jpg.3fafad5ccbfc4712dec61339aa35701c.jpg

IMG_8266.jpg.98bbc33b1ee10374c9f3ee812a7dabf0.jpg

Edited by Kris
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1