Coombe Viaduct, Saltash and the Royal Albert Bridge

Kris

• RMweb Premium

Over the past few evenings I have been finishing the viaduct legs by adding in the inner arch bits. As I suspected it was a fiddly job, but I'm glad it's done now. Next step will be to start adding further detail to the viaduct then fill in the gaps and paint them. I suspect that these small jobs will take me nearly as long as putting all the big bits of cladding onto the viaduct has taken so far! I also don't expect to be able to get much if anything done for the next 7 or 8 weeks. 

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Progress has been, er, slow, very, very slow. Over the summer I had been aiming to really crack on with Coombe, it didn't happen. I spent less than an hour on it and all that was achieved in that time was a spray varnish the viaduct and bridge to fix the printing so that it could be exposed to water. 

Today water was added to the mix in the form of some soggy plaster bandages. 9 rolls later I have something that looks like a landscape, a snowy one! The varnishing seems to have done the trick as the ink has not run (phew). There is a little bit of plaster on the viaduct but not much.

How long until the next update then????

post-163-0-41949300-1477407840_thumb.jpg

post-163-0-39823300-1477407874_thumb.jpg

post-163-0-30099000-1477407901_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Kris, I must have missed the last update. I hope you'll find time and motivation to work on it in the new year, it looks fantastic already. Viaducts are always impressive but the way you've "framed" and built this one adds something extra for me. And the curve is really nicely done.

Best wishes for 2017  :)

• RMweb Premium

I did manage to get a little more done just before Christmas. Not much but I did manage to get some base colouring down for the hill sides, roads and creek bed. 

The layout is stored on it's side so taking photos of this small amount of progress is not the easiest of tasks. 

post-163-0-02458700-1483203822_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Wow. Very convincing Kris, nice smooth running and a great viewing angle.

Geologists would marvel at that rockface in the left hand background :-)

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Kris,

Great to see progress - thanks for posting!

Cheers

Ben A.

Not been much (any) progress for the past few months Ben, far too busy with work. Hopefully some time off in a few weeks time will allow more progress to be made. 

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well despite starting another project I have been able to make some progress today on Coombe Viaduct, nothing photo worthy but I have spent an hour creating a dam to allow to "water" to be poured into the creek area. It did come as a surprise to find out just how much "water" this area would hold, apparently 2.2lt. 

• RMweb Premium

Well despite starting another project I have been able to make some progress today on Coombe Viaduct, nothing photo worthy but I have spent an hour creating a dam to allow to "water" to be poured into the creek area. It did come as a surprise to find out just how much "water" this area would hold, apparently 2.2lt.

The tide must be in.

• RMweb Premium

This could be entitled "watching paint dry" which given I have repainted the creek bed today would be very appropriate. The silty areas will get a second coating tomorrow which will allow for some further blending on the channel. The course of the channel is approximate and based on the channel that can be seen via google today. I'm sure that this will have changed it's course over the last 70 years however, I'm going to live with what I have. I've change the colours from those that I used when I originally painted the creek bed, partly because the colours I used were not compatible with the water system that I intend to use, and partly because I was not happy with the colours that I had originally used, they had gone a little pink. 

post-163-0-94875000-1502122399_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

A bit more work today has seen the creek bed transformed from something that was rather plain, to something that is nearly ready for water. 

attachicon.gifIMG_5954 2.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5955.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5956.JPG

I think this boat may have been abandoned some time ago!

attachicon.gifIMG_5957.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5958.JPG

I will be tinting the "water" that I use to some some of this detail will be lost, but hopefully much will still be seen. 

I do like that boat Kris.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Water water everywhere but not a drop to drink. 

Filling the creek with water on Coombe Viaduct was always going to be a big job, so going away for a week proved to be the perfect opportunity. It wasn't so much the time that the stuff takes to put down, but more the time it takes to dry and the temptation that I have to prod and poke at it during the drying time. The results seem to be okay, however I think that I need another bottle or 2 to top up the level (another is on order). I've used Woodland Scenics realistic water, and have combined this with some of their water tints to give a little more depth. It's not been cheap to do it this way but Track-Shack had bottles at a very good price and I appear to have bought all they had. Mixing and pouring have proved to be very easy, thankfully I had read about the cloudy nature of the product when first poured, so I was not concerned about this, and it did clear when the product set. 

post-163-0-46775900-1504427095_thumb.jpg

The boat can still be seen, phew. 

post-163-0-88758000-1504427272_thumb.jpg

it's possible to see the stones that are on the creek bed

post-163-0-71539900-1504427348_thumb.jpg

post-163-0-84375300-1504427379_thumb.jpg

post-163-0-14400500-1504427502_thumb.jpg

The larger dark green bits are bits of sea weed that appear to be growing in the stiller areas (when viewed on Google maps). 

I have also started the task of ballasting the track, as with previous layouts I have used fine beach sand sieved to remove oversize grains. There is still lots to be done on this. 

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Is it possible to produce ripples/choppiness by prodding and poking during the drying time?

No idea, however you can make ripples and choppiness with the water effects product. I think that there are other products that will also do it.