Rail Blue TOPS late 70s

A trip north of the border has forced a pause in posting - so here we go again with some more gratuitous images!

Back on the vintage sparkies

Its February 1978 and most of the 71s are dumped at Hither Green....heres 71004

attachicon.gif71004 Hither Green resized.jpg

An experimental night time shot from New St - the camera was perched on a BRUTE as I remember. 83006 poses long enough for a timed exposure...

attachicon.gif83006 resized.jpg

And back at Litchfield 85027 rattles and roars through on a van train

attachicon.gif85027 Litchfield resized.jpg

So now off to Scotland again - the lighting at Ayr was good for our visit to the depot, heres 27027

attachicon.gif27027 Ayr resized.jpg

Over at Perth 40066 has charge of an Edinburgh train. The square corners to the centre headcode boxes tell you this is one of the Scottish retro conversions from a disc headcode loco.

attachicon.gif40066 Perth Resized.jpg

And over at Haymarket 40142 is on shed. Always liked the split boxers.

attachicon.gif40142 Haymarket resized.jpg

So back down to the Midlands to Barrow Hill for a pair of 20s - 20133 and 20022

attachicon.gif20133 20022 Barrow Hill resized.jpg

Hang on - that's a green 20, must be one of the last survivors in that livery. Then to Toton Open Day - two young spotters seem amazed as the gathered hordes play the "Lets see how many we can get in a Peak Cab" game with 44008. Looks rather tarted up!

attachicon.gif44008 Toton resized.jpg

And finally we are over at Crewe for a 25 on a Llandudno - Nottingham with a confirmed Rat basher at the front droplight.

attachicon.gifCL 25 Crewe resized.jpg

That's all for today folks - more to come but as is SWMBOs birthday tomorrow probably wont be for a few more days

Enjoy

Phil

I was at Toton for that open day. 44008 was painted up specially for it and I could have been in the cab on that shot! I still have a penny which she ran over, there's probably thousands of them around it seemed like everyone there that day had one.

It was quite a day, DMU trip from the disused platform of the east side of Nottingham station to Toton and then a day among what seemed like hundreds of blue diesels.

There were at least three green 20s at Toton that day, 147 and 157 I think were two of them but I'm not certain, there were probably more than three even.

Excellent gen on Toton Open Day - do you have the date please Ranger, My record keeping was crummy

Cheers

Phil

I can't be certain of the date but I'm pretty sure it was in June, possibly early July (school hadn't broken up for Summer hols) and it was a Saturday.

• RMweb Gold

I too was on the Western Requiem with 1010. Sorry I've posted this before, but can you have too many pictures of Westerns?

Indeed you cant - was a great day out! There have been quite a few shots of the tour  at Treherbert and Merthyr published - but my favourite has to be Mike Pope's shot published on p79 in Heydey of the Hydraulics by HD - piling on the power at Quaker's Yard complete with fitter leaning out of the engine room window, the thought of the Maybach roar still makes my spine tingle...

Happy days!

There are a few more Wizzo shots in my collection but as I didn't get a decent camera until August 76 you can understand they will be somewhat limited.

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Off for a while now in pursuit of salar and trutta .....so heres some more to keep you going.

post-7138-0-97885800-1379769835_thumb.jpg

A rather nice before and after shot at Derby works for starters

post-7138-0-27917700-1379769912_thumb.jpg

Heres 76003 and another class member at Rotherwood sidings

post-7138-0-46377600-1379769972.jpg

Then up to Newcastle Central where Gateshead's 03111 is on pilot duties

post-7138-0-12258400-1379770046_thumb.jpg

Theres something of an aggregation of Class 27s at Glasgow Queen Street

post-7138-0-17065900-1379770109_thumb.jpg

Over at Ayr 25078 rests on the depot. A nice subject for a weathering project there!

post-7138-0-31993300-1379770244_thumb.jpg

Heres another 40 on stone hoppers at Guide Bridge. Cant have too much of a good thing!

post-7138-0-00526900-1379770392_thumb.jpg

At Ludlow racecourse a 37 has charge of a northbound PW working

post-7138-0-33526100-1379770455.jpg

And a bit further north at Onnibury heres a 25/2 on a southbound passenger - proper trains then!

post-7138-0-24690200-1379770513.jpg

Finally back to Eastleigh for another Big ED - 74010 runs light through the station.

Enjoy!

Phil

Edited to correct wagon types in class 40 pic - Many thanks to Torr Giffard for correction

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 11

I can't be certain of the date but I'm pretty sure it was in June, possibly early July (school hadn't broken up for Summer hols) and it was a Saturday.

This may be of help.

post-7244-0-34169800-1379791523_thumb.jpg

Forgot to mention. Great photos.

Edited by McGomez
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

post-7138-0-12258400-1379770046_thumb.jp

if the cl.25 in the pic after this one was a nice weathering project, how about a mint out-of-the-box 27?

presumably had recently seen some royal duties

cracking pics phil

Didn't locos off overhaul/repair at Glasgow Works have a trial run on one of the Queen St - Dundee services, suspect this is what we are looking at.

Douglas

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

hi douglas,

true enough - but what made me think royal duties were the (presumably) white tyres and silver buffers

so, ok, maybe not straight out of the box, just v. clean and tarted up a bit :)

Yes Keefer, could well be, I hadn't spotted the white tyres or the silvered buffers.

Douglas

• RMweb Gold

38 trout and 13 grayling later....

Thanks for adding the additional discussion folks

We probably should have investigated more at the time but were on a tight schedule - my good chum John Howles and I were camping at Kirkcaldie for the week and trying to cover as much as possible.

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

small world phil, i'm in kirkcaldy!

you don't have any pics from the east coast by any chance?

i love all the '70s/80s blue-era threads on RMWeb, not just 'cos it's my era, but also 'cos folks' own pics often show it was anything but bland and boring (despite what many of us remember)

there's always detail and interest to be had from any photos - even fuzzy snaps on an instamatic or quickly grabbed shots in the meantime 

each is a record in time that's useful to someone somewhere - and quite often be the only shot to prove something even happened! :)

The clean and dirty 27s will probably be the 1044 Queen St-Dundee which was often used to test run an engine just out of the workshops at St Rollox, and that clean one looks to fit that bill. One thing is however unusual in that the test (clean) engine was normally in front, the other engine being provided in case the test engine failed, which happened a lot. 

Paul

Edited by Strathyre

• RMweb Gold

small world phil, i'm in kirkcaldy!

you don't have any pics from the east coast by any chance?

i love all the '70s/80s blue-era threads on RMWeb, not just 'cos it's my era, but also 'cos folks' own pics often show it was anything but bland and boring (despite what many of us remember)

there's always detail and interest to be had from any photos - even fuzzy snaps on an instamatic or quickly grabbed shots in the meantime 

each is a record in time that's useful to someone somewhere - and quite often be the only shot to prove something even happened! :)

Ah - will try and work some in to the next batch!

Agree with comments re the photos - really enjoy  looking at others but mine are not a patch on the best - for those go to Brush Veteran's photo stream on flikr

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Phil,

Your 40 at Guide Bridge pic shows air braked Steetley/Peakstone stone hoppers possibly on a Peak Forest to Hope St, Salford working....not covhops. 

Dave

You know, I had been looking at that and wondering - I thought I could see white brake wheels on the solebars!

Will amend the post - thanks for pointing that out Dave

Phil