LNWR D205 & now a D133

farren

The louvers were part of the body, they got no special treatment and so were body colour in LMS and BR days. There is a way of etching them so that they reflect light like real louvers. Another way is to run a modellers saw blade sideways across plastikard to produce the louver effect, then cut them out of the strip.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

Hi coach man I stick with what you suggest with the louvres. The first class numbers are on the doors. However the running numbers might be interesting to you. Looking at a lot of pictures on the web and in my copy of LNWR Coaches by David Jenkinson. The running numbers seem to have not gone on ether end if a double gards doors were fitted to the coach. The running number on the 205 gose just under the first window to the left next to the double doors on the right. If you look at the link on page3 of this topic. And looking at other dia's this could be under other windows. Some coaches seem to have none however some pictures show the number low down on the left side of the end of the coach, So that could be the case. Never thought coaches could be so much fun.

Edited by farren

When BR added an 'M' prefix the running number remained in the waist panel directly beneath the windows. When the number was changed to Gill Sans style with M 0000 M, or whatever, it was generally repositioned on the tumblehome panel below the raised panelling. This is a reasonably successful way of identifying the date. BR sent out diagrams showing the positioning of running numbers but, as you have discovered, the placing varied quite a lot.

• RMweb Gold

To finish the coach I'm waiting for some gray paint. Need to clean up the wheels and find some what I think are no smoking transfers for two of the windows dimond shape one's anyone know if anyone makes them. And couplings not sure what would be the best ones to use for the rake.

Back to soldering tomorrow on the dei 133.

Edited by farren

• RMweb Gold

What's the best way to reproduce white out Widows on the guards/WC compartments?

I did think of painting them white but thought this could ruin rhe look or stick some sort of paper on them. What do others think all ideas welcome!

What's the best way to reproduce white out Widows on the guards/WC compartments?

I did think of painting them white but thought this could ruin rhe look or stick some sort of paper on them. What do others think all ideas welcome!

Lavatory and other frosted glass windows in LNWR stock was greenish-grey as on MR stock. Go for mid grey then add a touch of green. Paint it on the back of the glazing.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks once again coach for your invaluable advice.

Paints have turned up so hopefully should have the 205 finished tomorrow 2 years for one coach build not bad. I've Been opening out the holes on the 133 ready for the handles etc and chassis is also on the way. I won't put any photos up until the sides are fitted so at least there's some thing of interest to show.

Been looking at the Wizard site (had no joy from emails sent to the new owners of 247 range) the next few coachs which look interesting d333 d131 d135. With my birthday in the next couple of weeks I can see a few coach shaped parcels turning up.

• RMweb Gold

On a side note ive been looking at the comet coach sides. And I know some people use the Dapol kits with Bachmann bogies make up nice models. But how good are the Dapol kits them selfs. I was thinking of the Bachmann bogies but keeping the rest the same though a repaint may be needed

• RMweb Gold

Work so far the chassis work is finished but a washer will be needed to rase the chassis to allow the bogies more room to turn. Dropped a clanger with one end which needs to be un soldered and moved about 1mm up. And other work on the ends needed as well. One thing the side seem ever so soft and having a lot of problems with them bending just looking at the dam things.

post-12485-0-07246100-1438802921.jpg

One thing the side seem ever so soft and having a lot of problems with them bending just looking at the dam things.

It's a problem that manufacturers bless on unsuspecting modellers. Etching panelled coaches on 12thou brass is plain stupid when most of the coach ends up 6thou thick. When I went into the business I used 16thou and only used 12thou for flush sides such as Stanier. In fact my stepboards and solebars are 22thou, but manufacturers produce everything in one thickness on one sheet to save money!

Edited by coachmann

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

After a coat of railmatch crimson lake. D205 & D133 together. I think a second coat will be needed but will have to wait for the frist coat to dry.

Looking at the photo definitely will need a second coat. The buffers are missing as I was going to use sprung buffers but I think ill use the ones that come with the kit along with some bill bredfords couplings. With standard couplings at the ends of the rake.

post-12485-0-39981000-1439656132.jpg

post-12485-0-72654600-1439656157.jpg

Edited by farren

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

thinking I was getting somewhere I fitted the windows. Only for them to fog up. did exactly the same way as the first coach except with the back door closed. Also having handle the coach the top coat as started to peeling. So of to holfords to get some crimson. And do it same way as the other never had any problems that way.

post-12485-0-49651400-1440408853.jpg

• RMweb Gold

dose any one know the layout for the Dapol 57" corridor break coach roof vents as i understand Dapol are using the wrong roof for the break coach? also what book is a good reference book for the BR Mk1 coaches? 

Edited by farren

• 5 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

The D 205 was stripped and re- painted. The interior all done with the wood work done in two shades to try to show the difference between the frist class walnut and the lighter wood for 3rd class. 

27BD3EF8-105D-4590-BED2-7AA866248848.jpeg

68EEE52B-B6A8-47C4-9825-4A893056077F.jpeg

817480DC-B592-45D0-94AD-07E350FEC98D.jpeg

2C8612BA-5BB2-4456-88F4-EDFDA90B9ADC.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...