1. Dover Priory, Kent.

David Todd

There was an interesting series of articles (probaly in Backtrack) about the collapses and the re-routings along through the Warren maybe about 4-5 years back.

I think I recall the line from Folkestone out of commission from 1915 for a lot of WW I after a major landslip.  Would they have been reluctant to reinstate then because of a risk of exposure to naval shelling (like Hartlepool)?

Also a huge chunk of cliff got brought down by sappers/miners with explosives at some time - imagine getting permission for that nowadays!

dh

• Like 1

There was an interesting series of articles (probaly in Backtrack) about the collapses and the re-routings along through the Warren maybe about 4-5 years back.

I think I recall the line from Folkestone out of commission from 1915 for a lot of WW I after a major landslip.  Would they have been reluctant to reinstate then because of a risk of exposure to naval shelling (like Hartlepool)?

Also a huge chunk of cliff got brought down by sappers/miners with explosives at some time - imagine getting permission for that nowadays!

dh

In this link, fom the doverhistorian.

Read it, in the link below.

1.  Round Down Cliff Explosion. SE Railway Company

2.  dover-st-margarets-and-martin-mill-railway-line-part-i/

3.  dover-st-margarets-and-martin-mill-railway-line-part-ii-railways/

• Like 1

Hey! That link to the Round Down cliff explosion was a brilliant read; thanks so much.

A Colonel Hutchinson synchronised detonating the explosion (with a barrel of gunpowder hoyed off the cliff top!)

I assumed he would be Major General Hutchinson of the Railway Inspectorate but it turns out he is the younger bro of the swashbuckling Colonel:

Major-General Hutchinson was born in Hythe (Kent) on 8 August 1826; died Blackheath on 29 February, 1912. Major General. in Royal Engineers who conducted the accident enquiry into Armagh disaster of 12 June 1889. He inspected both the Tay and Forth bridges. Inspector of Railways 1867-1895 (last three Chief) (Who Was Who).. Biography in Stanley Hall's Railway detectives.

See Nock's Historic railway disasters (Chapter 5 and portrait p. 287). Nock notes that he. had an elder Sapper brother who was responsible for demolition of Round Down cliff at Dover for Sir William Cubitt during construction of South Eastern Railway.

I reckon this painting after the explosion could well be by my Victorian hero William Burges - architect/engineer extraordinary (it looks like his style).

Burges was a TOT Romantic who did Cardiff Castle, Castle Coch and other stuff for the Marquess of Bute

dh

• Like 2

Hey! That link to the Round Down cliff explosion was a brilliant read; thanks so much.

A Colonel Hutchinson synchronised detonating the explosion (with a barrel of gunpowder hoyed off the cliff top!)

I assumed he would be Major General Hutchinson of the Railway Inspectorate but it turns out he is the younger bro of the swashbuckling Colonel:

I reckon this painting after the explosion could well be by my Victorian hero William Burges - architect/engineer extraordinary (it looks like his style).

Burges was a TOT Romantic who did Cardiff Castle, Castle Coch and other stuff for the Marquess of Bute

dh

Being an Arkytec , I thought you said once, you had followed in his footsteps,pretty impressive as your also,

"The Malteaser Falcon".

• Like 1

When Derek & Jakub,were at our Folkestone Mrc Exhibition, 4/5 October,

I had a chat with them, about how fesable it would be to laser cut a model of a local tunnel.

I had taken a card built model that,"Runsasrequired" had kindly built for me a couple of years ago.

When at Warley, Derek had shewn me,how far he had progressed with the brickwork.

I was impressed, as they had not done this type of "brick bond " on their machine before.

Care and practice,Derek told me.

So, a couple of days ago, I received a package from them.

Here are the contents.

post-13585-0-80185200-1454138722_thumb.jpeg

post-13585-0-94231700-1454138759_thumb.jpeg

post-13585-0-95499000-1454138791.jpeg

post-13585-0-66633300-1454148570.jpeg

It appears to be a well thought out kit,for assembly.

A dry run of all the parts will take place,this coming Monday is Modelling Night.

Other items for refurb are,

Making a few more layers for the bathing pool, change colours of beaks and legs.

post-13585-0-62397000-1454139183_thumb.jpeg]

post-13585-0-96242000-1454139336.jpeg

Edited by David Todd
  • Like 10

Blimey  ...  'ain't no respec' no more   .....    :no:  :nono:  :no:   ...

Dover Town Yard

How it used to be 1980/90s.

post-13585-0-82031600-1454187411.jpeg

How it is Yesterday, the wok goes on, relaying track/bed and repairs to the seawall.

24688949526_3b85fbfa7e_b.jpgP1270116 by ferriesdover, on Flickr

The start, of a maybe.

.........  someone put a whole line of container trucks through thickie-there cliff-top houses, wot used to have the best Channel  view in Dover.     :O  :O

J

There's more than a few interesting operating session possibilities there dt.

Thanks for your post Sas.

In my representation , the total length of the straight run is,18.feetish.

The actual yard was built further east, but, I have had to bring my yard west,to compress the area.

post-13585-0-89471300-1454317139_thumb.jpeg

post-13585-0-91425400-1454317210.jpeg

• Like 3

Since the failure of the Dover Seawall on Christmas Eve, the repair work will carry on for many weeks.

A link to a thread,relating to the line repairs,can be found here,on RMweb http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106504-folkestone-dover-sea-wall-wash-out/page-12

post-13585-0-05962800-1454317668_thumb.jpeg

Edited by David Todd
  • Like 2