1. Dover Priory, Kent.

David Todd

That's very clever, following what nature does - coat the chalk with thin soil, grow the grass, then erode it away in vulnerable places and leave the rubble at the base of the cliff   .............

It's a good job nature hasn't got screwdrivers, rasps and other gouges  .....  it's fast enough with wind and water    :O  :O

J

It is only a trial method, some paint and a few more fine layers.

The next section, I am going to try, and sculpt in the road roundabout walling.

Also the brick arch for the ex turntable.

post-13585-0-80012000-1457861061_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

Your method works really well, particularly as the Foam is easy to dig chunks out of and touch up the exposed Chalk, [Limestone? Sandstone? Granite?] colour later

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Regards

J

The brick arch may be easier in 2 parts and let into the background cliff [maybe several bits of cliff glued round the arch, too?]  I don't envy you doing that one, although it is a great feature to have in the cliff.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Regards

J

Hmmm...have you actually tried hotgluing those sleeves into the Celotex? And is it dependable?

I agree with J about building the cliff facets and it's nooks, arches and retaining walls up as small sections.

Is it perhaps better to use a more 'stokerproof' battened piece of hardboard (or ply) * as a robust backing for fusing the various bits and pieces together?  You could use the original cellotex as donor for cutting the smaller sections.

Doubting Thomas

dh

J of course has notched up many hours of seat of his pants experience on sandwich construction.

Edit

*Lighter still woud be a batten frame with a nylon mesh stretched across it. You press your varous bits and pieces onto the mesh with foam cornice adhesive (that squidges around the mesh)

Edited by runs as required

.............................                           :resent:                           ........................                         :unsureclear:

J

Hmmm...have you actually tried hotgluing those sleeves into the Celotex? And is it dependable?

I agree with J about building the cliff facets and it's nooks, arches and retaining walls up as small sections.

Is it perhaps better to use a more 'stokerproof' battened piece of hardboard (or ply) * as a robust backing for fusing the various bits and pieces together?  You could use the original cellotex as donor for cutting the smaller sections.

Doubting Thomas

dh

J of course has notched up many hours of seat of his pants experience on sandwich construction.

Edit

*Lighter still woud be a batten frame with a nylon mesh stretched across it. You press your varous bits and pieces onto the mesh with foam cornice adhesive (that squidges around the mesh)

No, they are still unavailable. but am quite confident.

I am going to carve whole section's,to a depth of one and a half inch,in some place's, also do some add-on's.

Will see what happen's on the first section.

That bit of wall, is at 63 feet, passes as the roundabout, for the mo,

I hope to carve it,in position.

Tomorrow, the foil comes off both sides.

25669051612_92fbd25a57_b.jpg

by ferriesdover, on Flickr

.............................                           :resent:                           ........................                         :unsureclear:

J

Miffed ?

Edited by David Todd
  • Like 2

No, they are still unavailable. but am quite confident.

I am going to carve whole section's,to a depth of one and a half inch,in some place's, also do some add-on's.

Will see what happen's on the first section.

That bit of wall, is at 63 feet, passes as the roundabout, for the mo,

I hope to carve it,in position.

Tomorrow, the foil comes off both sides.

Miffed ?

Aaah, no   ................................   just can't see any Balsa Sandwiches    .....................       :jester:  :jester:

J

You can't use that   .......    The foam is on the outside - and it's burnt   ...   :nono:  :nono:

ultimate_BLT_sandwich.jpg

.....................    and you are really loosing your touch, with all that glue dripping over the foam    .......   and the balsa in the middle has definitely seen better days   ......   shame on you for being so lax  ....   :nono:  :nono:

I suppose those pics of the SER approach from the present day buffer stops in front of a gated Shakespeare Cliff tunnel portal qualify for BLT (to fiddle yard) using accepted RMweb terminology.

Looking forward to more 'modelled or real' posts.

dh

One you did earlier, dh.

post-13585-0-15529200-1458021545.jpeg

post-13585-0-94667200-1458021662_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

In the 3rd, 4th and 5th pictures ...

These Photos are 20 years old.

Dover Town Yard 15-4-96 by ferriesdover, on Flickr

25127228913_9f8638ea60_b.jpg

25165603603_8526a90a8f_b.jpg

25671238592_d0b1ae8582_b.jpg

I thought the wall looked as if it was holding the scree back, however, there is a door in the wall and another door in, what looks like, a porch.  They rather suggest that someone could enter to something behind the walls.

Are the 2 doors connected?

Are they part of the tunnels under the fort?

Regards

J

• Like 1

In the 3rd, 4th and 5th pictures ...

I thought the wall looked as if it was holding the scree back, however, there is a door in the wall and another door in, what looks like, a porch.  They rather suggest that someone could enter to something behind the walls.

Are the 2 doors connected?

Are they part of the tunnels under the fort?

Regards

J

No, no,

The wall with the doors, is all that is left,of what was a single line Engine shed.

The brick arch, sheltered a turntable.

See diagram 1862 map.

Permission of 

24200636910_1096d115c9_z.jpg

23867996604_4e64b5616b_z.jpg

Single line engine shed and turntable.

23869377903_6782a25eb2_z.jpg

Edited by David Todd

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the two old plans, the larger of the two engine sheds placed facing the town looks as if it really ought to be for goods traffic? Otherwise the only sidings left were on the corner facing the foreshore.?? Would make a nice old time setting.

• Like 1

Looking at the two old plans, the larger of the two engine sheds placed facing the town looks as if it really ought to be for goods traffic? Otherwise the only sidings left were on the corner facing the foreshore.?? Would make a nice old time setting.

I recall someone started Dover Town, in n gauge, couple of 3 year's ago

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/45837-dover-or-not-wcs-new-diorama-2mm-finescale/

Didn't the space behind the wall with the doors serve as an air-raid shelter during WW2? I'm sure I've seen photos somewhere of the interior.

The 'Lord Warden' was the offices for Sealink at one time; it was equipped with a ship-style radio room, used both for training and for communicating with Sealink vessels around the UK. A former colleague used to work there.

• Like 1

Nooooooo!!!!      ...............................................................            you can't cut the foam  ............   without having   .................

More! More!

:butcher:

dh

................................................   Less    .....................   less   .....     :locomotive:  :locomotive:

More! More!

:butcher:

dh

Nooooooo!!!!      ...............................................................            you can't cut the foam  ............   without having   .................

................................................   Less    .....................   less   .....     :locomotive:  :locomotive:

Now, now, behave,or I will send you on an Easter Egg hunt, in the Antarctic , you maybe, gone sometime.