Bachmann to produce ex LBSC Atlantic H2 Class 4-4-2

Graham_Muz

I got hold of my models to-day, and they do look splendid.

Trevose Head was condemned in September 1956, at the same time as South Foreland. Both had been named in 1926, and the plates you show are accurate for both Southern and BR eras. 

Yeah they are suitable for southern. Probably easier for them to sell them with the numberplate than having two separate products.

Think the original intention was to produce St Albans Head in SR and Beachy Head in BR. But the SR model got changed for some reason

As to the nameplates, I notice that the Southern Railway model would have cabside number plates (the red ovals). The Bachmann model comes with some nice etched versions. However, the place that sells the nameplates seems only to have BR era transfers. I have looked at Fox, which do sell cabside plates, but not for the H2 class.

Does anyone know where I might find these cabside plates?

Edit: I have found that they can be obtained here, although only the one for St. Alban's Head is available.

Edited by jamespetts

As to the nameplates, I notice that the Southern Railway model would have cabside number plates (the red ovals). The Bachmann model comes with some nice etched versions. However, the place that sells the nameplates seems only to have BR era transfers. I have looked at Fox, which do sell cabside plates, but not for the H2 class.

Edit: I have found that they can be obtained here, although only the one for St. Alban's Head is available.

I believe (though I haven't checked) that Narrow planet do them, etched to order to match three loco of you're choice. Theirs doing me a set of works plates for the H1

Usual disclaimer and all that, no connection satisfied customer etc

Thanks

Rhys

Try 247 Developments. They do them.

Nameplates on left hand and numberplates on the right hand side of the page. They will also do commissions for ones you want if they aren't available.

https://www.247developments.co.uk/ex_sr_names.html#H1

Jason

Try 247 Developments. They do them.

Nameplates on left hand and numberplates on the right hand side of the page. They will also do commissions for ones you want if they aren't available.

https://www.247developments.co.uk/ex_sr_names.html#H1

Jason

Thank you for that. I have now ordered the plates and oval for St. Alban's Head in any event, and I note that that website only sells BR era etches.

Finally, there she is!

I'm normally more a GWR man, but I couldn't resist buying South Foreland. I even bought 6 olive green Maunsell coaches!

No details have been added yet. I will have to find myself a suiting sound decoder first. :music_mini2:

IMG-8490.jpg

When I first looked at that photo it reminded me of Triang steamroller wheels.

Out of interest, have any of the new SR liveried arrivals come from Hattons? I have one on order, but not heard anything from them as yet.

I'm waiting for mine also from Hatton's, but there are more shops who haven't got their stock yet.

So i believe any moment now.

Hatton's also very busy with their sale 

I ran mine on the MRC's test tracks to run it in yesterday:

31924334418_3977698369_b.jpgBachmann H2 by James Petts, on Flickr

43978533830_6652de6d07_b.jpgBachmann H2 by James Petts, on Flickr

44882629445_56511df6b5_b.jpgBachmann H2 by James Petts, on Flickr

43978606900_f5cf7a208a_b.jpgBachmann H2 by James Petts, on Flickr

Out of the box, some of the pickups were misaligned and it did not run well at all. I was able to borrow some tweezers and realign the pickups, after which it ran much better. However, it does not run well slowly: even after ~1 hour of running in (in both directions), slow speed running is very inconsistent, with the locomotive (on DC at least) moving at greatly different speeds depending on at which point in the revolution that the wheels are. I do not know whether a back EMF DCC decoder will assist this situation somewhat.

I also note that the buffers are not sprung.

Despite its flaws, however, it is a lovely model of a very interesting locomotive.

• Like 3

The "SOUTHERN" on the tender looks like a Friday job to me - the so-called signwriter should have been ashamed of himself !

I haven't noticed that before. They've done a pretty good job on the side I pictured. The other side is worse. However it's much less noticeable than Jamespetts' H2. :scratchhead: 

The "SOUTHERN" on the tender looks like a Friday job to me - the so-called signwriter should have been ashamed of himself !

Is the green of the wheels and splashers really so different from the boiler and tender? In your photos the wheels look Malachite green while the boiler is sage green.

Incidentally, one interesting thing about this model, which I do not believe is documented, is that it is possible to force a closer connexion between locomotive and tender by tightening the screw for the tender coupling on the tender with it in a retracted position. This will sacrafice cornering ability, of course, so testing will be necessary on the minimum planned radius before setting a distance.

Still can't get enough of this beaut! Added some detail parts, route disc for Brighton - Portsmouth running as per this photo that I've shared before

https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/SR-and-BRS/LBSCR-tender-locomotives/LBSCR-H2/i-FwgN3g6

Stick some GWR carriages behind her and it could become the Brighton - Cardiff

post-29051-0-12218700-1542021075_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

They do not seem different when viewed normally, at least to me.

As it happens, I have this model in front of me now, so I took a picture of it with my mobile telephone and its built-in light, which should show the wheels/body colour more clearly:

45831044301_5fd1de67a9_b.jpgBachmann H2 by James Petts, on Flickr

Perhaps it's just the effect of lighting on paintwork on metal as opposed to paintwork on plastic. Thanks for the additional Photo. I look forward to receiving mine.

• Like 1

I ran mine on the MRC's test tracks to run it in yesterday:

31924334418_3977698369_b.jpgBachmann H2 by James Petts, on Flickr

43978533830_6652de6d07_b.jpgBachmann H2 by James Petts, on Flickr

44882629445_56511df6b5_b.jpgBachmann H2 by James Petts, on Flickr

43978606900_f5cf7a208a_b.jpgBachmann H2 by James Petts, on Flickr

Out of the box, some of the pickups were misaligned and it did not run well at all. I was able to borrow some tweezers and realign the pickups, after which it ran much better. However, it does not run well slowly: even after ~1 hour of running in (in both directions), slow speed running is very inconsistent, with the locomotive (on DC at least) moving at greatly different speeds depending on at which point in the revolution that the wheels are. I do not know whether a back EMF DCC decoder will assist this situation somewhat.

I also note that the buffers are not sprung.

Despite its flaws, however, it is a lovely model of a very interesting locomotive.

Oh dear that lettering is very bad on the tender, i would have sent it back after paying such high price for it,I would have expected a lot better than that.

Edited by darren01
  • Like 1

Oh dear that lettering is very bad on the tender, i would have sent it back after paying such high price for it,I would have expected a lot better than that.

I have two and intend to renumber one, so it is not much extra work to replace the lettering. I only noticed it when it was pointed out on this thread.

Incidentally, the link in Ryan's post above was extremely interesting and lead to a goldmine of fascinating pictures, as a result of which I have found precedent to be able to use these locomotives on a higher proportion of services on my planned layout than I had hitherto realised would be in keeping with historical precedent.