Bachmann to produce ex LBSC Atlantic H2 Class 4-4-2

Graham_Muz

I have two and intend to renumber one, so it is not much extra work to replace the lettering. I only noticed it when it was pointed out on this thread.

How easy is it to get the numbers off?

I would like to renumber one as B421.

Regards

Richard

I have not started work on renumbering yet - other Bachmann products (e.g. Graham Farish N gauge vehicles of recent origin) can have their numbering removed fairly easily with Brasso and a cotton bud, although the Brasso will shine the surface, so spray varnish is then needed to remove the shiny appearance: however, varnishing to protect decals is recommended in any event, as is applying them to a shiny surface.

I have not started work on renumbering yet - other Bachmann products (e.g. Graham Farish N gauge vehicles of recent origin) can have their numbering removed fairly easily with Brasso and a cotton bud, although the Brasso will shine the surface, so spray varnish is then needed to remove the shiny appearance: however, varnishing to protect decals is recommended in any event, as is applying them to a shiny surface.

Thanks I think I will try that on my Bachmann N class first to convert it to an A - 3 digit number.

Cheers

Richard

I saw the sample of the SR version at a couple of shows, on the Bachmann stand. I was absolutely stunned by it, and couldn't wait to get one. Now that the model has been released, the pictures I am seeing show the livery to be more olive than the sample I saw. Has there been a tweak to the livery, or was the light in the display cabinets fooling me?

• RMweb Premium

I saw the sample of the SR version at a couple of shows, on the Bachmann stand. I was absolutely stunned by it, and couldn't wait to get one. Now that the model has been released, the pictures I am seeing show the livery to be more olive than the sample I saw. Has there been a tweak to the livery, or was the light in the display cabinets fooling me?

No change on the livery front - the shade of green Bachmann call 'Olive' has remained the same for decades - that on the H2 is identical to that seen on Bachmann N class locos from the late 1990s.

Personally I think its a little to Blue in hue and Hornbys interpretation is better, but on the other hand the shade of yellow Bachann use for the lettering / numbers is spot on whilst Honrbys is too pale.

My photos all have filters on them to intentionally make it look a little more olive as it is very, very dark (too dark?) like the E4s

• 2 weeks later...

I too have purchased a model of "South Foreland" and I am sorry to say that the loco does not (to me) truly represent the condition of the loco in the 1930`s after the Maunsell modifications and the renumbering to 2421. Namely, the chimney, dome, whistle and lamp Irons are all still in the original LBSC condition and the snifiting valves and extra lamp Irons left and right on the smokebox fitted by Eastleigh are not there.  If one looks at the Picture of the loco on P79 of "Brighton Atlantics" taken in 1947 (albeit with Malachite green livery) one can see all These omissions clearly.  However, when Looks at the (so far) only Picture of 31-921 "Beachy Head" in BR lined black all of these Errors have been corrected.  What Bachmann should do then, is to the the moulding of the BR Version and paaint it in SR Olive or Malachite grren livery.

By the way, in the accessories pack there are no loco or tender brake gear mouldings´.  Has anyone else had this problem?

Otherwise an excellent model, although I haven`t tried to run it yet. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I too have purchased a model of "South Foreland" and I am sorry to say that the loco does not (to me) truly represent the condition of the loco in the 1930`s after the Maunsell modifications and the renumbering to 2421. Namely, the chimney, dome, whistle and lamp Irons are all still in the original LBSC condition and the snifiting valves and extra lamp Irons left and right on the smokebox fitted by Eastleigh are not there.  If one looks at the Picture of the loco on P79 of "Brighton Atlantics" taken in 1947 (albeit with Malachite green livery) one can see all These omissions clearly.  However, when Looks at the (so far) only Picture of 31-921 "Beachy Head" in BR lined black all of these Errors have been corrected.  What Bachmann should do then, is to the the moulding of the BR Version and paaint it in SR Olive or Malachite grren livery.

Well since it was renumbered to 2421 in 1931 and rebuilding by Maunsell didn't start until 1935 (I can't say when 2421 got rebuilt, but 2422 was the first H2 rebuilt) it is still quite OK in pre-rebuild condition with that number. There is a photo of it as such on page 67 of the "LBSCR Atlantics" book

By the way, in the accessories pack there are no loco or tender brake gear mouldings´.  Has anyone else had this problem?

As for the brake gear, mine was pre-fitted, I had to remove it from the tender to be able to fit the DCC chip!

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Informative/Useful 1

Otherwise an excellent model, although I haven`t tried to run it yet. 

Taken from the excellent Graham Muz Blog (much more there) :

"The 31-920 version number 2421 as modelled by Bachmann is in the condition she was in post renumbering from B421 in 1931 and prior to February 1937 when she received both the SR composite loading gauge changes and being fitted with a Maunsell type superheater and therefore receiving snifting valves on the smokebox."

• Informative/Useful 1

"The 31-920 version number 2421 as modelled by Bachmann is in the condition she was in post renumbering from B421 in 1931 and prior to February 1937 when she received both the SR composite loading gauge changes and being fitted with a Maunsell type superheater and therefore receiving snifting valves on the smokebox."

Have now found a photo of 2421 in 1933 still with the Fittings in original condition.  Hadn't realised that these changes were made so late after SR take over.  Presumably the headcode disc for Newhaven boat Trains was attached to the handrail on the lh side of the smokebox.  Has cheered me up, all I have to do now is to get some brake rods from Bachmann.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, my full review can be read here https://grahammuz.com/2018/09/07/the-Bachmann-ex-lbscr-h2-class-brighton-atlantic-4-4-2-grace-and-presence-in-one-locomotive/

• RMweb Gold

Presumably the headcode disc for Newhaven boat Trains was attached to the handrail on the lh side of the smokebox. Has cheered me up, all I have to do now is to get some brake rods from Bachmann.

Brighton locos had two buffer beam mounted lamp iron above each buffer one being taller than the other to be equivalent to the smokebox door positions, this has also been correctly modelled by Bachmann.

Edited by Graham_Muz

Does anyone know if the H2 is left or right hand drive please.

Also is there an easy way to tell on most locos ie: is the driver always on the same side as the reverser?

On a steam loco - most definitely YES ..................... some diesels and electrics have duplicate controls - but you wouldn't know from outside !

The Atlantics are left hand drive, like all Brighton locos from Billy Stroudleys time I believe. Some railways were left and some were right hand drive, many sticking rigidly to whatever they had selected many years before. Left usually makes more sense in the UK, as if you are facing forward, the signals the driver is looking for are on the left.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hattons have Beachy Head on offer for one day only at £139.

Feel I've been robbed again.......

£79 on ebay..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachrnann-31-921-Class-H2-Atlantic-4-4-2-32424-Beachy-Head-in-BR-black/254020017063?hash=item3b24c5dba7:g:dr0AAOSwTxJcDhY4

Not certain, but maybe one of your words above applies to this one.

Edited by adb968008

I am surprised at Hattons offering the Bachmann 31-021 H2 Atlantic for £139 in their 12 deals of Christmas. I thought that Hattons had sold out of their pre-order,were not getting any fresh supplies from Bachmann and the maximum discount they could offer was 15%.

That's what they told us to get us to pay £165.

I'm starting to dislike the way they do business nowadays.

No detailing bag and its another one from Taiwan. Which could be worth the risk as I seem to remember someone bought one just after release and it was genuine

Can confirm, as I was the one who bought the other one, Will arrive, will run, is genuine but doesn't come with the box, manual or detailing bag. Very confused as to how this person has ended up with these, and why they're selling them for nearly 100 quid under RRP, makes me think that maybe a worker took some home?

Edit: I've just seen it's listed as "Bachrnann"   :laugh:

Edited by Jack P