Bachmann to produce ex LBSC Atlantic H2 Class 4-4-2

Graham_Muz

Looks very nice, it ALMOST makes me not want an ex-LBSCR K-class 2-6-0, but the K-class is still the more elegant.

I'm going to start work on my K's K class kit (!), which will hopefully result in an RTR announcement.

Just collected my Beachy Head from Hereford Model Centre. Very pleased - a lovely looking, smooth running model.

• RMweb Gold

While we wait for that beautiful Southern green version, I thought I'd share this photo I found of 2424 dated 1938 Brighton - Portsmouth, thought it might be of interest to some of you :)  https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Recent-uploads-and-queries/Recent-uploads-S/i-FwgN3g6/A

Edit: quite a few other interesting photos added to that page recently from 1937/38, quite a mismatch of carriages on some Brighton - Portsmouth/ Bournemouth / Cardiff services

The Brighton-Cardiff service historically was formed of alternate Southern or GWR stock. It then occurs to me that a colourful and eye catching train could be of an olive green H2 at the head of a rake of Hornby choc & cream bow ended Colletts.Mouth watering.

In case anyone thinks I'm fantasising in my dotage,in August 1948 I had a journey in the train,Colletts hauled by black Southern Schools (30)933 between Southampton and Salisbury.I imagine the train would have been worked by an H2 pre war.They certainly worked along the South Coast between Brighton,Portsmouth and Bournemouth right up until the 1950's even hauling crimson&cream MK1stock.My only sighting of one was 32421 at East Croydon in 1951.

An elegant ,characterful and so versatile a choice of model that covers the whole of the first half (if you include the H1) of the 20th C.

Regrettably,I have no suitable stock .......as yet......for the purchase of an H1 unless of course some Hornby 12 wheeled Pullmans could somehow be deemed acceptable.Probably not...but there again.....Hey that would be eye catching.Think I had better get a grip.....

• Like 1

The Brighton-Cardiff service historically was formed of alternate Southern or GWR stock. It then occurs to me that a colourful and eye catching train could be of an olive green H2 at the head of a rake of Hornby choc & cream bow ended Colletts.Mouth watering.

Something like this? https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Recent-uploads-and-queries/Recent-uploads-S/i-qh6rd93

Edit: Looks like quite an amalgamation of stock on this Brighton - Cardiff train https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Recent-uploads-and-queries/Recent-uploads-S/i-XTP2qVh/A

Edited by GreenGiraffe22

• RMweb Gold

No.I am talking about a complete consist of GWR or Southern coaches and not an amalgamation as seen in the Mike Moorant website.

A few more detail shots of the stunning model . Cab doors in the detail pack fill the two holes in the tender and also you can see the cranked Con rod due to tight radius model curves.

Unlike those that ordered theirs this week and got them mine has been on order since they were announced !! Same as the excellent Kernow Bulleid diesels.

post-21243-0-17261800-1538279488_thumb.jpg

post-21243-0-77511700-1538279493_thumb.jpg

post-21243-0-26217200-1538279501_thumb.jpg

post-21243-0-38842700-1538279829_thumb.jpg

post-21243-0-51065300-1538279834_thumb.jpg

Edited by Linesideohotos
  • Like 11

Thanks, Jack ........ let us know when you've finished the malachite job ( as usual ) an' we'll know to look out for Bachmann's announcement !

31146404428_e6dd76dda6_b.jpg

Sadly not in malachite, (holding out for Bachmann too!) but the Black repaint is nearly done. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

"Looks like quite an amalgamation of stock on this Brighton - Cardiff train https://mikemorant.s...s-S/i-XTP2qVh/A"

This is why I like to model the 1930s or 40's period,  the variety of rolling stock on passenger trains both Southern and GWR made them look much more interesting in my humble opinion.

At least in comparison with a rake of bland Mk 1's or even a similar rake of Bullied or Gresley Stock.  Sure some of the main expresses with the latest rolling stock were quite uniform but

secondary trains had all sorts of carriages and vans from different eras.

I have noticed Bachmann have started to mould things on, like lamp irons on the back of the tender body... and the hand rail on the cab which a year or so ago would of been some bent chromed rod.

Nice model all round, but would of like a little bit more for the money rather than all the moulded on parts (Clever design)

[media]

[media/]

It is still approx £15 cheaper than the NRM C1 when it was first released 2 or so years ago. Be interesting to see what future all new steam loco releases will cost.

The H2 transverses the old and current Bachmann head management but looking at the HAPs, J72 etc, it seems the new is heading for top end items with top end details.

Nice video BTW, whom will be the first to produce DCC sound for her?

It is still approx £15 cheaper than the NRM C1 when it was first released 2 or so years ago. Be interesting to see what future all new steam loco releases will cost.

The H2 transverses the old and current Bachmann head management but looking at the HAPs, J72 etc, it seems the new is heading for top end items with top end details.

Nice video BTW, whom will be the first to produce DCC sound for her?

Yes it's probably cheaper as the batch produced was bigger, have to remember the special NRM models are limited so there for demand a higher rrp.

I sadly haven't owned any recent nrm models.

So, now it is not just the drysiders enjoying the atlanticness, do we think there might be enough of a customer base for some aftermarket straight connecting rods?

(I straightened mine by the extremely inadvisable technique of swift wafts of the blowtorch and 'unbending' while in the alloy's pasty phase between solid and puddle, and there's no trouble at all on 30" radius. While cosmetically the rods are no longer perfect, it is less obtrusive than those eye-catching bends)

Mine has arrived. I pre-ordered as soon as it was announced from Kernow 5 or so years ago. I went for Beachy Head, because it was the last to go, will be the first to come back (the replica on Bluebell is said to take its name number rather than being next in the series). And it will be interesting to see if this loco sells out rapidly given those 2 aspects alone. If it does not then that will be a surprise and could indicate the effect high prices are having. I have also visited the actual place the loco is named after.

It was the first British outline RTR Atlantic I ordered but is the 7th to be delivered, since I,ve had a C1, I3 and 4 Adams radials since then.

The model nicely detailed despite the two moulded tender lamp irons and possibly 1 tender lamp iron missing. She runs and pulls really well. The Bachmann instruction booklet is a great step forwards too.

Here are some pics:

post-15098-0-41698900-1538503116_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-05860600-1538503151_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-67180100-1538503168_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-70886800-1538503184_thumb.jpg

And I do feel one Brighton Atlantic deserves another so here she is with an I3. FWIW both of these classes did run on South Eastern metals in SR days.

post-15098-0-79543300-1538503203_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-37109800-1538503256_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Now for an umber H2 - The H1 is nice enough, but the H2 is just that bit more elegant. Still... I may try and get a H1 anyway.

Two LBSC classes at once and it's still not enough ;) ;)

All jokes aside, if the Umber H1 doesn't sell they're unlikely to see a market for the H2 so let's get behind the H1!

Rhys