Modern Locomotives Illustrated Magazine

michaelp

• RMweb Premium

If you took it literally then you could do the whole series in about three issues as there are only about three modern locomotives classes.

There's no way that you could describe something built over fifty years ago as modern.

Jason

Hi Jason and all

I am not going to debate the term "modern" but what I will say I enjoy buying editions of this series. The latest issue will remain on the self as it covers trains that are too "modern" for me, but the issues that deal with the locos and units of the modernisation period I think are great.

For those who model diesels and electrics the series is an addition to our library of information.

• 1 month later...

If you're "into" Deltics, you'll find that the vast majority of illustrations are familiar in this edition of MLI.

Nothing really new here.

My reaction too when I had a look, which is a bit disappointing as there are probably lots of photos out there.

The Deltics are unique in having had a Locomotives Illustrated edition devoted to them (I think the only diesel class so treated) and an MLI.

• RMweb Premium

If you're "into" Deltics, you'll find that the vast majority of illustrations are familiar in this edition of MLI.

Nothing really new here.

My reaction too when I had a look, which is a bit disappointing as there are probably lots of photos out there.

The Deltics are unique in having had a Locomotives Illustrated edition devoted to them (I think the only diesel class so treated) and an MLI.

Hi Robert and Peter

While agreeing with both of you, I do feel Colin Marsden has done well with this edition as this is such a well documented class and in a single edition of a magazine he was not going to come up with anything new. I see this as another part of the jigsaw of diesel and electric traction this series of magazines is creating.

I just wish someone would properly proof read the mag before it goes to publication. You spot an error or two and then start to question the accuracy of other parts.

This issue has in the last paragraph of the middle column on page 4 reference to "previous EE Type and Type 4", I presume there is a "3" missing in there, and a completely confusing sentence across page 8 and 9 of which I presume the "and cannibalised by" bit should be "and cannibalised by".

Edited by Butler Henderson

, and a completely confusing sentence across page 8 and 9 of which I presume the "and cannibalised by" bit should be "and cannibalised by".

You've completely lost me here, why is it confusing? I read it through ok with no confusion.

You've completely lost me here, why is it confusing? I read it through ok with no confusion.

Actually did a MLI like proof check  on my posting - I intended to write and cannibalised by" bit should be "were cannibalised by" however looking at it afresh I would suggest that the sentence has been truncated as that printed does not make sense "In early 1980" two locos "which had been out of traffic for around two years and cannibalised by Doncaster Works."

As written it does not explain what happened in early 1980, all it tells us that two locos had been out of traffic for around two years and cannibalised. Think it should read

In early 1980" two locos "which had been out of traffic for around two years and cannibalised by Doncaster Works were cut-up.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Bargain for $4.60 inc a directory of loco classes & subclasses. Well illustrated. Presumably the class 17 Claytons have already been covered as they would have matched the two unsuccessful classes covered well.

Dava

• RMweb Gold

Bargain for $4.60 inc a directory of loco classes & subclasses. Well illustrated. Presumably the class 17 Claytons have already been covered as they would have matched the two unsuccessful classes covered well.

Dava

Yes, about 4 or 5 years ago, in the same issue as 14s, 15s and 16s. A very interesting read.

• 2 months later...

According to Issue 226, several Metrovicks were used on Manchester-Blackpool trains. I never knew that.  :nono:

Perhaps the writer is confusing Blackpool with that other seaside mecca in the north west, complete with seasonal illuminations, three piers, tower etc., Barrow-in-Furness!

This link gives a guide to what is planned for future issues.

http://www.mli-magazine.com/future-issues.html

Of course, it has deviated from it for some issues so subject to change. It has been stated that there's a desire to expand on the departmental issue with one featuring emu versions, which should be an interesting read.

The deltic, 28&23 issues held no interest from me personally. But I might get the Eurostar issue as I spent a lot of time near Folkstone when the channel tunnel was being finished so could be interest there.

Not sure on the one after Eurostar (he's featured the 92s and euro locos previously).

I have to admit I am struggling to think of a more dull a railway subject than the Eurostars....

Agree, had a look at this issue in WH Smiths and quickly decided, for the first time in quite a while, not to buy MLI.

• Agree 1

It depends I guess what your interest is.

If you're interested in diesels you're less likely to be interested in most modern emus.though not always the case of course.

I haven't had chance to take a look at this issue.

I can't see that there's much in the way of locos not already covered unless they revisit past issues as an update on the classes.

have they done an issue on shunters? 08/09/13? Colin Marsden did hint on his website that one issue would cover diesel depots. I am looking forward to this, however, if the subject matter is getting thin, maybe future issues could cover a depot per issue? Toton, Eastleigh, Donny works, BREL Swindon, could all warrant issues of their own.

have they done an issue on shunters? 08/09/13? Colin Marsden did hint on his website that one issue would cover diesel depots. I am looking forward to this, however, if the subject matter is getting thin, maybe future issues could cover a depot per issue? Toton, Eastleigh, Donny works, BREL Swindon, could all warrant issues of their own.

Issue 202 dealt with those shunters. Issue 217 dealt with the smaller shunters and pre-BR design shunters.