Modern Locomotives Illustrated Magazine

michaelp

• 1 month later...

Issue 239 Class 47 & 57 - New Era is out now.

Like the last issue covering the 37s this recaps the construction, green, blue and what they term “the broken up railway “ before going on to update the history through privatisation and preservation. As usual a full fleet list is included.

Of particular interest is a short piece on the development locos 47601, 901 and the 48s with a 4mm scale drawing of 47901, side, front and plan.

A good selection of pictures and a good read.

The next issue covers preserved electric locos and multiple units which I don’t think will be a best seller but let’s see.

Next issue could be interesting though if its includes all/most of the non-authentic liveries preserved locos have carried making it a useful reference work. Not keen on the repeating of the construction etc in the last two issues when it could have been addressed by referring to the earlier issue so allowing space for more pictures.

1 minute ago, Butler Henderson said:

Next issue could be interesting though if its includes all/most of the non-authentic liveries preserved locos have carried making it a useful reference work. Not keen on the repeating of the construction etc in the last two issues when it could have been addressed by referring to the earlier issue so allowing space for more pictures.

I think the magazine is running out of material, perhaps time to turn the clock back to steam....

I would buy all the issues at one time then they reached the point where all the interesting stuff had been covered and they were finding inventive ways to make another issue - I stopped buying at that point

• Agree 8

• 5 months later...

Issue 242 has been released covering early UK Railcar / Railbus fleets.

Compared to previous recent releases the subject matter is quite interesting and makes for a decent read for aficionados of such vehicles. Covered are an eclectic mix:

Karrier Ro-Railer

LMS Prototype 4 Car Set

Michelin Type 9 (1932)

Michelin 'Coventry' Cars

Amrstrong Whitworth 1930s Vehicles

Leyland 1933 Vehicles

EE 'Bluebird' Set

LMS Leyland Articulated Unit (1938)

AEC/GWR 1933-42 Railcars

GWR Express Parcel Sets

BR/Paxman Diesel Electric (1956)

BUT Railbus (79740-50)

Bristol Railbus (79958/9)

Waggon und Maschinenbau Railbus (79964-9)

Wickham Raibus (79965-9)

Wickham-Elliot Track Recorder (999507)

Park Royal Railbus (79970-4)

AC Cars Railbus (79975-9)

Preserved NE No 3170

Given the current situation then purchasing might prove problematic (WH Smith have them in store) but on-line purchase might help as would digital download.

The next issue (243) will cover "New Trains For The UK' supplied by Bombardier, Stadler, CAF, Vivarail, Siemens and Hitachi.

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like an interesting edition,  I must admit with this mag I like to have a quick browse first as in some editions have little reading content. 

One thing is certain I certainly shall not be buying the next edition! 

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Latest is bringing the story of the 86,87,90,91 and 92 up to date and the introductory texts merely do that rather than repeating the full class history from the earlier issues , however there are over 30 photos that could have been used in the earlier issues. It also leaves the reader wondering as the 86/7s while described as being modified 86/2s it goes not further in explaining what the modification was.

Edited by Butler Henderson