'Grundy Street' (Revisited)

georgeT

Thanks for pointing me to Trebudoc Andrew, great thread!

John

Morning John, It was George that kept me going on the changes with Trebudoc, I was ready to give up and scrap it, but he was doing such a wonderful job with the buildings that I was under pressure to finish it properly to show his workmanship.

The station building mock up that I gave him to work from was just a cereal packet folded and selotaped up into the rough shape of a building so that he knew what height and length I needed.

I will be using George again when I start my next project. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Bodgit :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

I missed the start of this George. We were rather busy paking things up but have now moved to Minehead except we have lots to do so are not properly moved in. I do like your layout. I will have a large loft and with some tight curves should squeeze in a roundy roundy just so I can sit with a drink and watch (and listen) a train running. I do not want large stations etc. a small yard to shunt and a a passing loop will suffice. I reallly like small layouts they are good fun and you can go to town on the details. That building without the winows cut out looks like something abandoned just right if you wanted to run diesels. I have no doubt you will finish it off right. It would be nice if you could take it to an exhibition or two.

Regards Don

I missed the start of this George. We were rather busy paking things up but have now moved to Minehead except we have lots to do so are not properly moved in. I do like your layout. I will have a large loft and with some tight curves should squeeze in a roundy roundy just so I can sit with a drink and watch (and listen) a train running. I do not want large stations etc. a small yard to shunt and a a passing loop will suffice. I reallly like small layouts they are good fun and you can go to town on the details. That building without the winows cut out looks like something abandoned just right if you wanted to run diesels. I have no doubt you will finish it off right. It would be nice if you could take it to an exhibition or two.

Regards Don

Hi Don, which O Gauge locos will you be running?

Bodgit

• RMweb Gold

Apologies to George for borrowing his thread. I have a Bulldog and a Cambrian Beaconsfield 4-4-0s, A Dean Goods, a 45xx, a 2021ST, 1365 Dock Tank, 57xx plus the Steam railmotor all painted and running but mostly need chipping. I will add sound on some. There is a MW H class 0-4-0t which needs painting in Cambrian livery. I also have a stack of kits to build.

Don

Morning Don, No apologies needed, were all friends on here and all comments are welcome, its good to hear from you again, l know you and Bodgit have your hands full at the moment with house moving etc etc, so no time for modelling, The buildings on GS are coming on but there is a lot more work to do, l need to make the two extensions soon on GS for added shunting movements, also trying to finish off my loco collection, as l have decided not to mix the stock and have two regions at GS with Ex-LMS and Ex-SR, also mucking about with weathering powders..

George 

While l was at the EM show in Manchester on sunday l bought myself some weathering powders just to try something different, and l must say l'm impressed, first l removed most of the printed writing on the wagon side with a glass fibre pen, then painted a brush load of coal on, and then added some rust to the corners and axle boxes,

Also while at the show l bumped into a fellow RMWebber Jason (Sandside) who is building Bacup, a very interesting chap to talk to, even picked his brain on somethings too.

George

post-7716-0-49555100-1379335484_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-38430500-1379335488_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-44462800-1379335503_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-30863300-1379335507_thumb.jpg

Hi George, That's excellent mate, just toned down enough. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Bachmann have just introduced a set of 3 weathered Ex Private owner Wagons in OO and they have painted over a couple of planks as though they have been replaced and that too is very effective.

• RMweb Gold

Probably best not to mix the stock the only places I can think of SR and MR together are on the S&D or in London although you might get others mixed in there. Some friends built a layout Millwall goods based in London to allow some mixing of stock. Having seperate stock makes sense but which will the buildings be?

Don

Yes George, Don is right about the Buildings, you cant mix Southern windows with Midland ones as they were totally different, as was the colour schemes, as can be seen on the building for Abbotts Bridge that are now on a Midland Layout and need re painting.

Hi George, that looks good mate, If I may suggest, try adding some Brown to a pallett and taking the brush from one colour to another as you work along the loco, this will give a less monotone look.

By adding the Brown to the tank side and around the underframe you can produce a streaking effect down the tank sides and the under frame will be mainly Brown and Orange for the rust build up underneath. The area around the Smoke Box will be a different colour to the main Boiler as that area gets quite hot and tends to burn around the Chimney, this can also lead to rust patches in this area where paint has burnt off and then the bare metal has gone rusty.

I suggest that you Dont mix the colours on the Loco but on a small plastic pallet as you have more control over the amount of powder on the brush.

post-9335-0-33837300-1379425957_thumb.jpg

With this Ivatt I have worked the Brown in first and then streaked with the Black Soot.

post-9335-0-83040900-1379426145_thumb.jpg

And the adding the Black has left the rust in and around recessed areas and helps to streak the tender.

post-9335-0-43443400-1379426228_thumb.jpg

I think you have enhanced that loco 100% and now it no longer looks like a model but a real work horse, well done and for a first attempt at Powder Weathering it is a credit to you.

Well done :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Thank you Bodgit for the kind words and help, l really want my locos to look the part, and that means plenty of sh** and grime, great stuff, also l'm thinking of putting a small loco shed on one of the extensions too ?

GeorgeT

Thank you Bodgit for the kind words and help, l really want my locos to look the part, and that means plenty of sh** and grime, great stuff, also l'm thinking of putting a small loco shed on one of the extensions too ?

GeorgeT

Hi mate, I wouldn't, you have been down that road once and to many building will spoil a beautiful little layout. :locomotive: :locomotive:

Morning Bodge,  l know what you mean, and yes l have been down that road many times before, but every man must have a shed? having played with 'GS' for a while and there just ain't the room for shunting too much, what with the layout of the points etc, (without a major re-build), really l can only have one road for shunting wagons, so the loco will bring in one or maybe two wagons needing repair, which will be picked up later and taken to the repair shop  'GS' is really only a small yard at the end of a collection of Mills / Factory's somewhere in England, where l can have a Southern BR hour or a Midland BR hour, so l can still build locos of both regions, so if l add a small shed it will give the locos somewhere to eat drink & sleep ?

GeorgeT

Really impressed with Carr's weathering powders, have turned two skytrex wagons into working models..

Really Good George, they have come out well and for very little work,Skytex are knocking them out cheap I believe after their crash so it may pay to have a look for a couple more.

Bodgit.

P.S. WANT TO BUY SOME LOCOS? hahhahaha

Hello Bodgit,   l do hate over weathered locos, to me they just don't look right, you can ruin months even years of hard work building a loco in a minutes with an airbrush full of grime, so all mine will be weather worn, done with powders (following your lead) so l am looking at 100s of photos to see just where the rust was present as every loco was different..  George

Archived