acg5324

• RMweb Premium

Started on the interior...more to add and a signal man!

gallery_681_3276_55471.jpg

The relay room that was added 1958? has now been completed and the signal box finally has some signs. Strangely the south end had the name double stacked the north end as a single line.

gallery_681_3276_12453.jpg

gallery_681_3276_138634.jpg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

I think you'll find that the third lever from the right is meant to be blue....... :no:

Nestor

(hehehehehehehehe)

How did I know you were going to make that reply......... :)

Hello Andy

Just found this thread/blog ..............

Kensington Olympia is a great subject for a model. I am a (very minor) part of Twickenham & District MRC's team building this in 7mm. We have modelled it as Addison Road station set in the 1920's. Due to the size of the project we are only building half of the station - the Northern end with the bays serving Clapham Junction.

We have run a blog on MRF showing progress ever since we started - 2009 from memory. We chose this station as it allows us to prototypically run GWR, LNWR, SR and virtually anything.

Just for comparison, here is the interior of our box - much easier in 7mm! Amazed at what you have achieved in N!

post-4476-0-39350500-1404280242_thumb.jpg

Here is the box in situ

post-4476-0-24288400-1404280241.jpg

Good luck with the project! Maybe we might one day go to an exhibition together - so people can see the same station 50/60 years apart.

Please feel free to visit us any time you're in London on a Friday night and please look at our blog on MRF or visit our website www.tdmrc.org.uk and you can access our blog via the Addison Road layout page.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hello AndyJust found this thread/blog ..............Kensington Olympia is a great subject for a model. I am a (very minor) part of Twickenham & District MRC's team building this in 7mm. We have modelled it as Addison Road station set in the 1920's. Due to the size of the project we are only building half of the station - the Northern end with the bays serving Clapham Junction. have run a blog on MRF showing progress ever since we started - 2009 from memory. We chose this station as it allows us to prototypically run GWR, LNWR, SR and virtually anything.Just for comparison, here is the interior of our box - much easier in 7mm! Amazed at what you have achieved in N!

Many thanks for the comments, funnily I had only recently come across your Olympia blog when searching for pictures of the signal boxes!! It really looks a fantastic model and the layout so far..... I guess mine is about 1/16th the size of yours in volume.

Having both layouts exhibited together would really be an interesting comparison. I reckon I'm at least 2 years off it being exhibitable.

I have made a start on the. North Main box which has had a weeks rest as Mrs G and I have been away on holiday so I should resume some progress this week.

Edited by acg5324

• RMweb Premium

The next building is the North Main signal box.....yes who would build a layout that needs two scratch-built signal boxes

Construction is the same as the South Main box...its just a bit smaller and has an external staircase and rather odd replacement windows.

Progress so far......

gallery_681_3312_4846.jpg

Brick base southern end

gallery_681_3312_67658.jpg

Brick base side

gallery_681_3312_48489.jpg

The four sides cut and planking added. Windows and doorway yet to be added to the ends.

gallery_681_3312_77937.jpg

Two pairs of sides clamped together for glueing.

gallery_681_3312_62438.jpg

Base and top ( western side ) paired up. Cabin has been sprayed white but not oversprayed with Dullcote.

gallery_681_3312_52492.jpg

Base and top ( eastern side ) paired up. Cabin has been sprayed white but not oversprayed with Dullcote.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Some photos showing progress over the last few days. First up are a couple of views of the start on the station building. I was originally going to construct the building as one lump but have decided to construct it as four interlocking blocks. This is block A the most southerly one. Top view is looking from the street side towards the platform. The second view is the platform side of the building. gallery_681_3268_32265.jpg

gallery_681_3268_1955.jpg

The North Main signal box is now largely completed with just the interior and staircase to construct. The name boards were printed off on my home BJ printer........think I will be reprinting them at work on the laser jet.

gallery_681_3312_52383.jpg

gallery_681_3312_91060.jpg

gallery_681_3312_8207.jpg

gallery_681_3312_111974.jpg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 9

Great work on the scratchbuilt signal boxes! I have been in two minds whether to use Scenecraft GCR buildings, including the newly announced signal box, on my Charwelton layout or scratchbuild/kitbash my own but since reading this thread I am convinced I should at least make an attempt at the latter.

Very inspiring!

Hector

Edited by Hector Lawn

• RMweb Premium

Great work on the scratchbuilt signal boxes! I have been in two minds whether to use Scenecraft GCR buildings, including the newly announced signal box, on my Charwelton layout or scratchbuild/kitbash my own but since reading this thread I am convinced I should at least make an attempt at the latter.

Very inspiring!

Hector

Great work!

I find it interesting how you mix plastic sheet and brick and slate papers to great effect in your models. It can be a long job of painting trying to get a realistic effect with plastic brick sheet.

Douglas

Many thanks for the comments.... this is the first time I have used the downloadable brick papers etc and plasticard so its been a bit of a learning curve for me. In the past I've always used plasticard only. Certainly in 2mm the brick plasticard available is not good.

Now some more pictures of the station building. This is still the first block of 4 and uses the Scalescenes brick paper and Pebbledashing. Windows are produced using the word for windows table and label method again with the cell sizes adjusted to suit.

gallery_681_3268_10839.jpg

Top floor windows next to be added ( above ).

gallery_681_3268_45166.jpg

The big hole in the side of the building ( above ) takes a huge multi- paned window.

Ground floor windows and doors to added ( below )

gallery_681_3268_70675.jpg

This represents this building...... The walk through originally had doors either side and this is how it will be modelled. An extra door has also been added over time on the RH side, this has been removed from the model.

p492412931-4.jpg

p293088472-4.jpg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Nestor......................................

Today's progress

After spotting a fairly major cock up with the big side window......hole too small thankfully......this was rectified and the big side window added. In real life there is a staircase here.

The rest of the windows were added along with some strengthening pieces and blocks to later support the roof.

Then on to block B!

gallery_681_3268_47033.jpg

gallery_681_3268_32982.jpg

gallery_681_3268_33500.jpg

Looks like I'll need to get out the bigger cutting mat!

gallery_681_3268_11797.jpg

gallery_681_3268_43289.jpg

gallery_681_3268_66620.jpg

gallery_681_3268_10474.jpg

gallery_681_3268_65063.jpg

Won't be much progress over the weekend but I should get these two buildings largely completed next week.

Block C will be a problem as I don't have enough photos and some extra spying via Google Earth shows the end building to be more than just the rectangular I thought it was.........Doh! A trip to Olympia beckons.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 10

BLIMEE! - I remember having my interview for my first signalling job in that building in July 1973 - In August 1973, I began my training in both North and South Main boxes - Happy memories! - BTW, WELL DONE!

:-)

Edited by Horizontal

• RMweb Premium

BLIMEE! - I remember having my interview for my first signalling job in that building in July 1973 - In August 1973, I began my training in both North and South Main boxes - Happy memories! - BTW, WELL DONE!

Thank you..... Glad to bring back some happy memories.

• RMweb Premium

Some progress with the station buildings, all doors and windows now fitted, roofs have been cut but are not fitted as I am going to put some interior details due to the large expanse of glass, especially at the street frontage.

I will add the impression of a staircase into the part of the building with the full height windows...need to visit Olympia to see which way it runs.

Once the roofs are fitted I can add the coping edging and finish painting their rough edges.

Flooring is again a word for windows table shaded and printed on to an A4 label. 

gallery_681_3268_103891.jpg

gallery_681_3268_77649.jpg

gallery_681_3268_100538.jpg

gallery_681_3268_6855.jpg

gallery_681_3268_82525.jpg

gallery_681_3268_113750.jpg

gallery_681_3268_50896.jpg

gallery_681_3268_64072.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks..... Even with the simplification of the buildings and the odd cock up it does look like Kensington Olympia. Now on to the platform building near the South Main signal box. This looks like a waiting room and toilets?

• RMweb Premium

The waiting room / toilet block has been quite a job for a simple building http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p920577291/h16e80a0#h16e80a0

Largely due to the fact that as the building no long exists I'm having to work from photos like this that show parts of it at an oblique angle.

I'll try and get the photos posted tomorrow.

• RMweb Premium

'Don't know if any of these will help, but it's all I've got ATM

AFAIR it was a plain wall at the back of the building - I don't remember any windows at all!

There are windows and doors.....not many though.....thankfully!!! https://www.flickr.com/photos/66162475@N06/6761752999/