acg5324

• RMweb Premium

A little bit of track laying today at the southern end of the station. The crossovers between the up and down line are installed but the sweep of the curve took up more room than I expected so more cork sheet had to be laid. I managed to keep the radius to 2 feet so a nice sweeping curve.

I've also worked out where the access to the SE bay platforms will be as the line will need to parallel the mainline to get through the bridge on Kensington High Street. As is always the case I need RH short points, the only ones I have left are of course LH.

There will be room to put in some of the sidings that were Warwick road goods depot, latterly used for storing spare Carflats.

Photos to follow.......

So more Carflats needed?...

• RMweb Premium

Well after a nice weekend on the Isle of Wight, which included eating and drinking our way round the Island and 12 miles of walks.......its back to n gauge reality!

The Motorail terminal building is now taking shape with the photos showing progress.

gallery_681_3268_115933.jpg

7 side and roof trusses completed...the trusses should be open but as you wont be able to see them unless you are a mouse I've left them solid to give some strength.

gallery_681_3268_145199.jpg

gallery_681_3268_37819.jpg

Three trusses and bays assembled.

Scalescenes brick, the rest of the trusss will be covered in the pebbledash finish.

gallery_681_3268_70959.jpg

In place on the layout. The building will of course be at platform height. 4 more trusses and bays to added.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The seven trusses are now assembled and the roof ridge added to start giving the rather floppy building some strength. Whilst checking some photos I realised that the non platform side has solid walls, no windows. DOH!!! It won't be to difficult to remove the stub walls and put full height ones in thankfully.

After downloading from Scalescenes the weathered corrugated iron for the roof I found I couldn't open the zip file, Windows 10 kept sending me round in circles much to my frustration. The extract all menu being greyed out. A two second visit by my wife opened the file on the PC even she said I don't know how I did that!

Anyway pictures to follow.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

gallery_681_3268_49648.jpg

4 trusses, 3 bays...after adding the concrete finish I realised it was easier to do this before assembly and just cut holes where the plasticard needed to touch for bonding.

gallery_681_3268_92374.jpg

7 trusses and 6 bays plus the ridge attached. The gap allows a car to access the platform and be side loaded on to a carflat. The real building has 10 bays so has been shortened quite a bit.

gallery_681_3268_85816.jpg

The RH side walls should be full height so will need replacing.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Glad to see you and Deb are spending more time together now you're retired.

Its what retirement is all about!

Had a break from the modelling yesterday, Mrs G and I went for a walk from our home to Queens Park in Brighton about 4 miles, then dropped down into Kemptown for a light breakfast and then a nice fish lunch in the Lanes, washed down with a great bottle of Rose from Georgia! That's a new country for us as alcoholic products.

Well its a horrid day in Brighton today drizzly rain and mist so time for some modelling......interrupted by the tennis. 

gallery_681_3268_27457.jpg

Corrugated roof sections on, this is another Scalescenes download

gallery_681_3268_25219.jpg

gallery_681_3268_95648.jpg

Wrong height walls replaced with full height ones.

gallery_681_3268_17745.jpg

And a start made on the glazing...there's a lot of it! Fine glazing bars are scored on the plasticard and then painted over and excess wiped off. Outer frames are from plastic strip.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

The metal shuttering on the ends of the shed roof were originally painted a dark red oxide colour, from photos I have sometime between 1974 and 1979 it was repainted blue. I will be doing the blue version. I've come across some nice photos of the inside of the shed and a short YouTube clip that includes interior views. Once the shed is finished I will need to build the small reception office that sat at the entrance front of the shed. There also appears to have been a (staff?) toilet block on the LH side at the entrance. This will also be constructed but might involve a bit of guesswork as the photos are few and far between.

• RMweb Premium

The side glazing has been completed but the roof glazing has become a bit of a problem as the building is not quite square and I didn't like the roof glazing as it was. I've had to remove the ridge which allows me to put a strip of glazing in using the Windows table method that I used for the station building and signal boxes. The ridge will then be replaced overlapping the glazing.

The glazing for the lower part of the roof will be made using a similar method but I will have to adjust the panel size to disguise the lack of squareness.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Most of the roof is now complete, I just couldn't get the glazing bars to line up with the roof trusses so I'll just have to ignore that issue!

gallery_681_3268_129088.jpg

A reminder how the windows are constructed. Set out a table in Word so that the cell and frame are the size you need, shade in the cell ( in this case brown to give a brake dust finish ). Print on to an A4 label. Cut out the length of windows you need...stick it down on clear plasticard.............then go blind trying to cut out the cell. The white frame becomes the window frame, any brown bits look like dirt!

Some photos of the Motorail terminal.

gallery_681_3268_23970.jpg

gallery_681_3268_75138.jpg

Yes the building has ended up shorter than I'd originally planned.

gallery_681_3268_124797.jpg

Now with 3/4 of the roof completed.

gallery_681_3268_53422.jpg

• Like 12

Terrific modelling. Those buildings are hugely impressive, and the rolling stock is looking great. Thanks for directing me to this thread, Andy. Really looking forward to seeing the Olympia run!

• RMweb Premium

Terrific modelling. Those buildings are hugely impressive, and the rolling stock is looking great. Thanks for directing me to this thread, Andy. Really looking forward to seeing the Olympia run!

Hi Simon, thank you and welcome to RMweb

• RMweb Premium

Whilst I was out enjoying myself on Thursday, lunch and beers with former work colleagues, the paint arrived to largely complete the Motorail terminal building.

These photos taken outside on my nice shinny new Sony A77 mk2 then wified to the PC whatever next!

gallery_681_3268_20359.jpg

gallery_681_3268_2832.jpg

gallery_681_3268_14817.jpg

gallery_681_3268_93321.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Whilst I was out enjoying myself on Thursday, lunch and beers with former work colleagues, the paint arrived to largely complete the Motorail terminal building.

These photos taken outside on my nice shinny new Sony A77 mk2 then wified to the PC whatever next!

gallery_681_3268_20359.jpg

gallery_681_3268_2832.jpg

gallery_681_3268_14817.jpg

gallery_681_3268_93321.jpg

Andy, I hope you don't take this as over-critical, but that roof just doesn't look right with the glazing panes misaligned both with each other and with the trusses I'm afraid.

• RMweb Premium

Andy, I hope you don't take this as over-critical, but that roof just doesn't look right with the glazing panes misaligned both with each other and with the trusses I'm afraid.

Not at all John, it was driving me nuts trying to get the cells to line up. I might try disguising the trusses by putting a thicker bar over the top.

• RMweb Premium

Not at all John, it was driving me nuts trying to get the cells to line up. I might try disguising the trusses by putting a thicker bar over the top.

How about laying out both the side walls and the roof on a single spreadsheet? You should be able to size the cells to match the dimensions of the wall sections that you've already built, then the location of the trusses should follow and you could divide the spaces between them into equally-sized panes.

• RMweb Premium

Spreadsheet...now you're getting technical :)

Most of the problem is that the building is out of square by about 2mm and the glazing isn't. Even using 60 thou for the trusses there is some bend in one or two of them. I like your idea of setting out the windows against the trusses. My original plan was to do each roof section between the trusses as a separate piece but went for the longest length I could to put some strength into the building.

This would be an ideal building to have the trusses and wall sections laser cut by someone like York Modelmaking. Adding the glazing would be a doddle then!

• RMweb Premium

How about a little more weathering on the glazing especially around the truss area thus disguising those areas that look out of line

Yes I'll be doing that as well, it's only had a squirt of Dullcote so far to make the glazing not so shiny if that make sense.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Have you seen today's announcement from the N Gauge Society? Farish produced Carflats....

I've known about this quite a while but had to keep it under my hat :)

• RMweb Gold

I've known about this quite a while but had to keep it under my hat :)

Thats good of the NGS (Ben?) that you had the heads up rather than waste time building more car transporters only to find out when you had finished them all which is normally what happens.

• RMweb Premium

Thats good of the NGS (Ben?) that you had the heads up rather than waste time building more car transporters only to find out when you had finished them all which is normally what happens.

Yes it was........mind you 12 months before we see the Carflats I might be tempted to build some more! I do have some spare chassis available and of course I can do variations they aren't.

Today's building is the smallest one yet after building the shed. Pictures later...............

• Like 1