acg5324

I quick check of my SR Freight WTT shows BD as a Dover to LMR via Chatham and the WLL......so OK.

Now then a couple of photos to explain the lack of posts and progress from me ........................KPA is being dismantled..............................................cos.......................

gallery_681_3476_60496.jpg

gallery_681_3476_71464.jpg

.......................after only being on the market for a week it looks like we've sold our house.......just as well as we had an offer in on a house in Haxby, York that has been waiting since the end of January for acceptance because our house wasn't even on the market!

HAXBY?......Well I never. - My daughter lives only a couple of miles from there - Here's hoping you will allow me to see my old station in miniature once you're settled in! :-)

Edited by Horizontal

• RMweb Premium

I quick check of my SR Freight WTT shows BD as a Dover to LMR via Chatham and the WLL......so OK.

.......................after only being on the market for a week it looks like we've sold our house.......just as well as we had an offer in on a house in Haxby, York that has been waiting since the end of January for acceptance because our house wasn't even on the market!

In my days on the Central it was always used (possibly unofficially) for the breakdown train.

Haxby's all right. An old mate lived there when he worked in York HQ. Good luck with the move but on behalf of BMRC sorry to see you go...

• RMweb Premium

HAXBY?......Well I never. - My daughter lives only a couple of miles from there - Here's hoping you will allow me to see my old station in miniature once you're settled in! :-)

Of course no problem with that.

The layout will fit in 3 of the 4 bedrooms and I've been tentative permission that I can use the Dining room as a temp measure, saves moving it upstairs.

Assuming everything goes through OK we have plans for the house part of which will give me a layout room on the back of the garage.

In my days on the Central it was always used (possibly unofficially) for the breakdown train.

Haxby's all right. An old mate lived there when he worked in York HQ. Good luck with the move but on behalf of BMRC sorry to see you go...

Thanks John, I've been a member since I was 15....bit older now......

The house almost backs on to the Scarborough line, can certainly see it from the bedrooms, so closer to real trains than models.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The layout will fit in 3 of the 4 bedrooms and I've been tentative permission that I can use the Dinning room as a temp measure, saves moving it upstairs.

Assuming everything goes through OK we have plans for the house part of which will give me a layout room on the back of the garage.

Why not expand the layout to fill the bedrooms and build a new bedroom on the back of the garage?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm looking forward to seeing the layout progress in its new home.

Good luck with the move - when you're settled feel free to come and introduce yourself to the Yorkshire Area Group of the NGS (home of Heworth Sidings); We meet once or twice a month in Heworth (NE corner of York).

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Edited by Steven B

• RMweb Premium

I'm looking forward to seeing the layout progress in its new home.

Good luck with the move - when you're settled feel free to come and introduce yourself to the Yorkshire Area Group of the NGS (home of Heworth Sidings); We meet once or twice a month in Heworth (NE corner of York).

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Thanks for that, will do.

One indirect outcome of all this with the layout is so that I could split all the boards it's forced me to solder the rest of the part done baseboard joints and finish off the DCC droppers that were part started on a second board. Makes it more tidy for moving!

Great layout, location choice and modelling.

I've been slowly planning a small layout based on Lillie bridge, the other side of your scenic break, although my plan is set in the 60s to allow the use of panniers, though I plan to try to make it possible to change the era with removable buildings that change the era feel. The other big difference is I'm working in p4.

Great stuff, look forward to seeing more.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Made the second trip of the week to B and Q as the 'Really useful' storage boxes are still on offer. That's 8 18 litre and 4 35 litre boxes added to what we already had. Many have been used for Debbie's stash of wool. If you think you've too much rolling stock it's nothing compared to a knitter!!

Rolling stock now all safely boxed away BR and all the US stock too. Now why did I make the Georgian Town houses so long they won't fit in anything!

Last baseboard joints that needed soldering to copperclads now done and track cut to split the boards.

Had the first of the removal companies in for a quote today be interesting to see how much.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Made the second trip of the week to B and Q as the 'Really useful' storage boxes are still on offer. That's 8 18 litre and 4 35 litre boxes added to what we already had. Many have been used for Debbie's stash of wool. If you think you've too much stock it's nothing compared to a knitter!!

Rolling stock now all safely boxed away BR and all the US stock too. Now why did I make the Georgian Town houses so long they won't fit in anything!

Last baseboard joints that needed soldering to copperclads now done and track cut to split the boards.

Had the first of the removal companies in for a quote today be interesting to see how much.

Pity Lurch and I aren't still around. We could have borrowed the Lovers' Walk Sherpa.

• RMweb Premium

Pity Lurch and I aren't still around. We could have borrowed the Lovers' Walk Sherpa.

That would have been a few round trips to York. Can't remember the last time I've seen a Sherpa van or even the later LDV versions.

• RMweb Premium

Well as I can't show you any progress on the layout etc....so here for your entertainment are a few recently acquired slides.

p2222658992-4.jpg

An unidentified 47/4 heads through Kensington Olympia with 1O74 the 0958 Manchester Piccadilly to Brighton.

Slide dated May 1984.

Photographer unknown.

p2222658985-4.jpg

Taken from the South Main signalbox at Olympia, 47628 is captured with an unidentified Intercity cross London service.

Slide dated March 1987.

Photographer unknown.

p2211158128-4.jpg

An unidentified class 33/1 passes Kensington South Main signalbox with a pway train.

Slide dated June 1983.

Photographer unknown.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

The week before last with our house being cleaned to within an inch of its life our Dyson Hoover died. On line option suggested it would be either the on off switch or the motor.......they are the only two electrical things in it after all! I put the meter over the switch and that seemed fine so I ordered a new motor. An online video showed whilst you pretty well have to dismantle the whole machine it didn't look to difficult.

Motor arrived today, following the video it took less than 20 mins to dismantle the cleaner and remove the motor.

75 mins later I finally managed to get the motor correctly seated in its housing, you needed to be a &£8@/??! Octopus to get the motor in its rubber housing back into the casing lining up the fitting and making sure the wires to the brushes didn't foul anything.

I won't be adding vacuum cleaner repairman to my CV.......bring on Michael Palin...oh no that was bicycles!

Dyson still not repaired as failing light brought an end to its reassembly. Potential programme for James May too.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just back from a nice weekend in Edinburgh with an overnight stop at York both ways. The main reason for going was Mrs G was visiting http://www.edinyarnfest.com this gave me the chance to do a bit infilling on the Baker rail atlas. Lots of new bits of line in Scotland since my last visit, just a shame about the traction. With a fairly early start I got the Tweedbank line in, followed by a ride on an Edinburgh to Helensburgh service via Bathgate as far as Queen St low level. Last time I went to Bathgate that was the end of the line for passengers. Next ride across the Central belt was from Glasgow Central back to Edinburgh via Shotts. Last trip of the day was round the Fife circle, not the loco hauled set unfortunately.

Everything was on time, including the ECML and even the weather wasn't bad.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Had a nice day out at Ally Pally yesterday with Corky from the Corkscrew lines, B.I.L. Neil and Posh Colin driving. Despite the sat nav being turned on late after we missed any turning off the North Circular. It then directed us towards Buckingham Palace or even Crystal Palace but definitely not Alexandra Palace! Still got there well before opening time!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Finished reassembling the Dyson yesterday morning....and it works......one screw left over!

I was quite surprised just how many parts went into a Dyson, when, like you, I repaired one.

Also, like you, I had one screw left over.

It didn't seem to hamper its ability to recover everything the carpet monster had swallowed, and then some, and lasted for several more years, until we had a break-in.

It obviously appealed to the theives, and I had to buy a new one!

Regards

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I was quite surprised just how many parts went into a Dyson, when, like you, I repaired one.

Also, like you, I had one screw left over.

It didn't seem to hamper its ability to recover everything the carpet monster had swallowed, and then some, and lasted for several more years, until we had a break-in.

It obviously appealed to the theives, and I had to buy a new one!

Regards

Ian

That's when you really hope the repair fails very quickly!

• RMweb Premium

Managed to fit the York show in this year despite a very week prior that wasn't new home related.

Excellent exhibition managed to meet and chat with Ben and Mike on the RevolutioN trains stand, thank you both for your time, looking forward to the 35 ton tanks.

Didn't find bargains, rarely do these days, but picked up another GF Esso 45 tank plus a ICI Chemicals version for a fair price and another Mk2 TSO........where have all the FKs gone?

Got a couple of laser cut garage/warehouse type doors from York modelmaking. These will be used to form part of a Mews type property.

Nearly equaled our fastest time York to Brighton, managed it in 4 hrs 20 mins on Sunday night via A1, M11, M25.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well after what has seemed like an age we have finally exchange contracts today. The removal van is booked and we should be in our new house 300 miles north in Haxby before the Whitsun bank holiday. To celebrate we had a meal out tonight and a trip on the i360........in the dark.......and it didn't break down!

• RMweb Premium

Well after what has seemed like an age we have finally exchange contracts today. The removal van is booked and we should be in our new house 300 miles north in Haxby before the Whitsun bank holiday. To celebrate we had a meal out tonight and a trip on the i360........in the dark.......and it didn't break down!

Good luck for next month to you both. Big farewell drinks at BMRC I hope? I will join you in spirit (hic).

We went on the i360 while we were in Sussex late last year (in daylight and it didn't break down).

In the middle of this shot is the distinctive roof of Brighton Station. Over on the left you could almost see the BMRC clubrooms, if it wasn't for the 'ouses in between.

post-21039-0-19481700-1493424959_thumb.jpg

Impossible to avoid reflections due to the shape and layout of the passenger cabin unfortunately.

It was good fun but not cheap. I think it's the sort of thing you would do once but not twice - the same as the London Eye in fact now I come to think of it.

Helpful hint for prospective i360ers: pre-book to avoid long queues.

All the best.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks John. As residents you can for the princely sum of £1 get a card that gives you 50% discount for a year......this is our second trip but 3rd attempt to have a ride, no queues either time and we didn't pre book. We were on the last trip of the day at 2030 and there were 12 of us on board. The 2000 trip had 2 on board!

The curved glass is a real problem for photos as yours shows. Might have to get KRC to put a flag pole on top of the hut....we are here!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

As you would expect no progress on the layout, but on the moving front it's just two weeks before the move starts..... and in shock BT news we had a new telephone number allocated within one hour of going online to get it and the internet connection sorted......probably take two weeks to get them connected.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just 5 days to go before the big move starts. Yesterday I had a great morning getting a former colleagues O Gauge DCC layout up and running. We had got the layout powered up a few weeks ago but none of the points were working. After about 5 mins I had half the motors working and found the broken wire to the fifth. The sixth motor ( they were all tortoises) had a broken baseplate so I made a new one from plasticard and got that running. The last two had to trace the wires to find breaks on all 4 wires. Sorted! Spent the next hour "testing"!!! Great stuff running sound fitted class 03, 33 and 73 up and down the layout.

Last night was a farewell drink ( or two ) with the Brighton MRC members. Thank you for 43 years of fun and games and we even managed to wet the babies head as Adam is now a dad.

Edited by acg5324

• RMweb Premium

Just 5 days to go before the big move starts. Yesterday I had a great morning getting a former colleagues O Gauge DCC layout up and running. We had got the layout powered up a few weeks ago but none of the points were working. After about 5 mins I had half the motors working and found the broken wire to the fifth. The sixth motor ( they were all tortoises) had a broken baseplate so I made a new one from plasticard and got that running. The last two had to trace the wires to find breaks on all 4 wires. Sorted! Spent the next hour "testing"!!! Great stuff running sound fitted class 03, 33 and 73 up and down the layout.

Last night was a farewell drink ( or two ) with the Brighton MRC members. Thank you for 43 years of fun and games and we even managed to wet the babies head as Adam is now a dad.

Glad all went well last night. Did DESH make it?

Adam's a dad... now I feel old. I think he was still in short trousers when he first joined the club.

Don't go getting any bright ideas about 0 gauge.

All the best for next week and thereafter.