acg5324

A bit of progress yesterday at the York area NGS meeting. Quite a lot of the windows added into the TWA building.

gallery_681_3268_112842.jpg

gallery_681_3268_33679.jpg

gallery_681_3268_116189.jpg

I've started to set up the signage for this building but am struggling with the slogan on the top of the roof. It appear to have an airliner either end then TWA and something something America to America.....I've not been able to find a better picture than this one 

of mine..........anyone out there know what it says or able to manipulate the image?

p1521642056-6.jpg

gallery_681_3476_71348.jpg

A bit of progress yesterday at the York area NGS meeting. Quite a lot of the windows added into the TWA building.

gallery_681_3268_112842.jpg

gallery_681_3268_33679.jpg

gallery_681_3268_116189.jpg

I've started to set up the signage for this building but am struggling with the slogan on the top of the roof. It appear to have an airliner either end then TWA and something something America to America.....I've not been able to find a better picture than this one 

of mine..........anyone out there know what it says or able to manipulate the image?

p1521642056-6.jpg

gallery_681_3476_71348.jpg

• RMweb Premium

p2777538506-5.jpg

This image of mine, a bit clearer but doesn't show the full text!           25302 plus it looks like a nuclear flask and ferry CCTS as barrier vehicles to me.

?????????????????? of America to America?

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 2

Impressive. It's coming along very nicely and has great presence.

G.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gang....

The phrase looks like ' the airline of America to America'

Hope this helps...

Stu from EGDL

Well at least that phrase makes sense it’s better than my wife and I could come up with. Even found a website with airline slogans which helped not a jot!

Good stuff, thank you.

• RMweb Premium

An extra photo today, the frame work for the ground floor doors has been added but the doors will be later. The building is roughly positioned where it will end up. Russell Rd runs L to R and Kensington High Street top to bottom.....just missing the bridge at the moment!

The small building in front of the TWA building is the Olympia service station, an ESSO garage. This is a Walthers Kit and will be a stand in as I can find no photos of it from the front.

gallery_681_3268_1402891.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Got the signage and doors printed off too, this afternoon.

gallery_681_3268_60605.jpg

Multiple copies of each letter as the top letters will need to be cut out individually and mounted on the building facia above ground floor. Still need to do the main ones for the Kensington High Street side which say Royal Kensington Hotel....I think!

The other signs are for the rooftop hoardings as per the pictures.

gallery_681_3268_60342.jpg

This is the label grid to make the doors, the shaded areas are removed to leave a silver frame on the clear plastic. Same method as I've used before making a table on WfW and adjusting the cell size to fit.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Finished fitting the windows today and all the doors are cut out and fitted too. Will put a couple pictures up tomorrow. Next job will be to put a top coat of paint on the building prior to adding curtains, people and signage..........

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some more progress today.

A repaint into a better colour and some slight weathering.

Missing intermediate floors added.

Russell Road signage added.

Its looking a lot better now, much better in fact....its taken long enough and I'd certainly change the method another time.

Still plenty to do to it, I've just printed off a selection of 1970's naff curtain colours.....yes there's some orange involved!

gallery_681_3268_84282.jpg

gallery_681_3268_79788.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Got a bit more work done today.......hanging curtains...and doing the signage on the High St Kensington side......I’ll post some photos later.

Nothing done over the weekend as we were away in the cold of Edinburgh. I can throughly recommend the Falkirk Wheel and The Real Mary King Close. Managed to knock a few bits of line in Glasgow off my Baker Atlas....Milngavie branch, Balloch branch, East Kilbride branch and Anniesland to Queen St via Maryhill.

• RMweb Premium

gallery_681_3268_778738.jpeg

Four floors of orange curtains done so far...The first floor big windows will get cream....or maybe maroon?

gallery_681_3268_2304.jpeg

Not enough room to put the full Trans World Airlines signage on as I had to compress the building size so Trans World only........five floors of orange curtains await!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Got a bit more work done today.......hanging curtains...and doing the signage on the High St Kensington side......I’ll post some photos later.

Nothing done over the weekend as we were away in the cold of Edinburgh. I can throughly recommend the Falkirk Wheel and The Real Mary King Close. Managed to knock a few bits of line in Glasgow off my Baker Atlas....Milngavie branch, Balloch branch, East Kilbride branch and Anniesland to Queen St via Maryhill.

Bang on with the Falkirk Wheel. Did you see the Kelpies as well?

• RMweb Premium

gallery_681_3268_778738.jpeg

Four floors of orange curtains done so far...The first floor big windows will get cream....or maybe maroon?

gallery_681_3268_2304.jpeg

Not enough room to put the full Trans World Airlines signage on as I had to compress the building size so Trans World only........five floors of orange curtains await!

Now I know where all the curtains went when we took them out of standard class on the CIGs...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Bang on with the Falkirk Wheel. Did you see the Kelpies as well?

Went to the Kelpies last year. We were on the first boat trip on the wheel...and probably the last that day due to the weather.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The NGS Carflats have arrived...I’ve posted some pictures on the NGS thread. They are very nice models...my six brings my total up to 25! That should be enough.........

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/113073-carflat-from-n-gauge-society/?p=3097546

Edited by acg5324

• RMweb Premium

Next building on the production line will be what is now the entrance and part of the Hilton Hotel at Olympia and Bristol Cars showroom. Most of the former TWA building is now part of this hotel. I don't know what the building was in 1980 so I am going to assume it was built as a hotel and was The Royal Kensington Hotel, signage for which could be seen on the roof of the TWA building...although no entrance. In real life if it is largely brick faced with bays for each bedroom. I will simplify it a bit by making the bays into three separate blocks for each floor rather than individual ones for each room.

Construction will be with mount board but faced with Scalescenes brick paper printed on to an A4 label.

gallery_681_3268_1576961.jpeg

I won't get much started over the weekend as I'm off to Ally Pally on Saturday.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Well quite a bit of progress with the Hotel / Bristol cars building today. I’ve a number of photos lined up to post but our PC has decided that windows updates are more important and is doing its own thing!

I’ll get the pictures posted later........................

• RMweb Premium

Nearly an hour and two reboots later............................

gallery_681_3268_185207.jpeg

Front wall of the Hotel and car showroom to make sure road levels are OK.

gallery_681_3268_778143.jpeg

The Holland Road wall added

gallery_681_3268_8629.jpeg

First floor details added.

gallery_681_3268_502326.jpeg

A quick squirt of grey primer to hind any white edges. Brick paper added to the main elevations. This is a Scalescenes download, Brown brick...its a bit redder than I would have liked.

Apologies for the state of the walls in our Dining room....we are awaiting the builders to start some major renovations and EVERY room in the house has been stripped of wall paper, with the exception of any wall that's going to be knocked down....I didn't see the point!

gallery_681_3268_323850.jpeg

Formers added, these will have the window bays mounted against them.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Well quite a bit of progress with the Hotel / Bristol cars building today. I’ve a number of photos lined up to post but our PC has decided that windows updates are more important and is doing its own thing!

I’ll get the pictures posted later........................

Stick with XP like me. Updates? Pah!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The PC went and downloaded windows 10 when it was left running overnight some months back.....to do a full virus scan, couldn’t get rid of it afterwards.