acg5324

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Ian Morgan said:

Your static grass is much too vivid green :D

......and the worms don’t react well to the Static applicator!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

After a false start the first bits of conrail have been added. I tried soldering PECO track pins to the underside of the rail but found it impossible to keep everyone straight.....so I desoldered them and fitted the pins on to the sleepers first before soldering the rail on top.

1A22CA00-0279-4623-AEF7-6D7260366B09.jpeg

8FB22C11-CDE1-4519-8545-4E3BFB4CDA33.jpeg

Its a bridge...needs a bus on top........

26155D94-EAB2-4AD7-8FD0-C436030358A7.jpeg

These are the Scale Model Scenery pavements. Laser cut with varying corner angles. I’d quite like wider pavements but this will be fine. 

7F39F434-16EA-400C-9B75-8BAE005D60FB.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

This is looking lovely.  Are the retaining walls on the curve where you’ve started with the conductor rail scratchbuilt?

Also, Looking at the scale model scenery paving makes me wonder whether, given they are laser cut, it would be possible for a more flexible pack with a standard outer edge and then the inner edge cut to follow the individual slabs.  The sheet could then include strips of single slabs cut in a similar way, allowing any width of pavement to be built up.

If that makes sense!

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Ben A said:

Hi Andy,

This is looking lovely.  Are the retaining walls on the curve where you’ve started with the conductor rail scratchbuilt?

Also, Looking at the scale model scenery paving makes me wonder whether, given they are laser cut, it would be possible for a more flexible pack with a standard outer edge and then the inner edge cut to follow the individual slabs.  The sheet could then include strips of single slabs cut in a similar way, allowing any width of pavement to be built up.

If that makes sense!

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben, the retaining walls are actually Metcalfe kits modified to reduce the overall height. They have been toned down just a bit!

Yes, I understand what you mean and yes that would have been very useful. They are introducing many new items so it might be a future plan.

• RMweb Premium

The adjacent station board is now about 95% ballasted. Hopefully might get the ballast sprayed tomorrow. Then the conductor rail can be fitted here too.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, acg5324 said:

Another fine so out in the garden again with the baseboard. The con rail installation is now finished on this baseboard.

Andy, I"m going to be hyper-critical and ask whether you set out the juice rails using a jig, as they both look a bit wibbly-wobbly.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Andy, I"m going to be hyper-critical and ask whether you set out the juice rails using a jig, as they both look a bit wibbly-wobbly.

No jig John. They probably are a bit wibbly-wobbly, might be a trick of the light too  as where it’s been soldered the chemical black has changed colour a bit. The rail is only soldered down about every couple of inches not every 3rd or 4th sleeper.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Three boards are temporarily reassembled, just to check things still fit! The station buildings are marked up to sink them into the platform surface. I’ve got on a bit with scenery but cannot finish it until the Metcalfe retaining wall kits are available again. Next week should get the con rail down in the District line platform. I’ve removed another baseboard to start wiring that up. I have enough point motors for it. As it’s the fiddle yard board I’ve another diode matrix or two to make up.......and I need to design the control panel......it’s probably going to be long and thin.

Have good weekend and here’s some pictures of the reassembled, but not lined up boards.

205D2B46-9BA0-4C28-84C5-FB281DB145D2.jpeg

A4A6A00F-F691-48CF-857C-B7A682BA3782.jpeg

0C5A1473-5961-45A3-B9B1-00C2B9311344.jpeg

57182E17-1F4A-4E1B-A681-C395702419E8.jpeg

1F02012E-CD43-4542-BF1D-B270C3888879.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium

Parcel from Scale Model Scenery  arrived this afternoon. Lots more pavement, some laser cut letters and some cable hangers and cables to run along the retaining wall next to the District line. I’ll post some pictures tomorrow. Still haven’t started the second baseboard of con rail but hope to start that tomorrow too.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I made a start on the installation of the LT conductor rail this morning.......as it’s more visible, not hidden by the retaining walls, I’m spacing the pins to solder the rail too correctly. A little jig has helped, might see if I can find some thick clear plasticard as that will be even easier.

95B4F022-1DFA-4456-ADB3-68BCA97F0991.jpeg

0BCB9205-4B83-47E4-A1EF-FDC6ED1B2560.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Lousy day weather wise in Yorkshire today....at least the water butts are filling up, nearly 250L so far........not all today!

I got on with the conductor rail in the platform area. All done, needs some pots painting and the con rail touching up to hide the odd bit of solder.

579AA5FA-2993-43C8-8D35-F1F96D989BD2.jpeg

55E6027B-08B2-4BCF-A226-3B8F0A83F2D4.jpeg

518539B2-6CB9-4F62-A13D-5B3E89B728A1.jpeg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, grahame said:

Looking very effective.

What are you going to do for an underground train?

Thank you, I have a LT battery loco, powered by a Tomix tram chassis......plus a couple of LT bogie pway wagons. This will have to suffice for the time being.

Link to the loco kit......resin casting.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174283136354

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Padishar Creel said:

Yes it would, thank you. N train do have a bit of a reputation of being produced in a rather hard and floury like plastic.  

54 minutes ago, acg5324 said:

Yes it would, thank you. N train do have a bit of a reputation of being produced in a rather hard and floury like plastic.  

Yep, although it looks like from the link that the only material choice from Shapeways is FUD/smooth fine detail plastic which I'm presuming is better than the tough rough finish nylon versatile plastic that N-train use in their own branded direct sales.

I'd be interested to see what can be achieved with that set although it's rather dear for just a bit of experimental fun bearing in mind you also need to source bogies/wheels and motor.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, grahame said:

Yep, although it looks like from the link that the only material choice from Shapeways is FUD/smooth fine detail plastic which I'm presuming is better than the tough rough finish nylon versatile plastic that N-train use in their own branded direct sales.

I'd be interested to see what can be achieved with that set although it's rather dear for just a bit of experimental fun bearing in mind you also need to source bogies/wheels and motor.

Indeed.

• RMweb Premium

One of those oh Bo**@c#s moments. Went to fit the four pint motors on baseboard A to find I had glued the ply supports for them 90degress out.....they should all be verticalish!

20E31087-D747-413D-A7BF-D24C806856B4.jpeg

The baseboard top is 6mm ply so screws go right through unless you have a block underneath. Anyway lots of bits of ply cut to correct that bloomer.

Edited by acg5324
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, acg5324 said:

One of those oh Bo**@c#s moments. Went to fit the four pint motors on baseboard A to find I had glued the ply supports for them 90degress out.....they should all be verticalish!

20E31087-D747-413D-A7BF-D24C806856B4.jpeg

The baseboard top is 6mm ply so screws go right through unless you have a block underneath. Anyway lots of bits of ply cut to correct that bloomer.

What I used to do when I had individual  boards that you could turn over was to draw the track plan (in reverse of course) on the underside.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

What I used to do when I had individual  boards that you could turn over was to draw the track plan (in reverse of course) on the underside.

You should have told me earlier John :D

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

All four motors installed and ready to wire up. The square block at the top will be another diode matrix which I’ve yet to put together.

EC2AB4DA-9567-4D0B-899D-36A90524D6A0.jpeg

• Like 1