acg5324

• RMweb Premium

The third bridge to span the WLL has had some progress today. Nearly....well I did...make a monumental cock up. Built the ramps and cut the bridge sides to find everything was far too low despite measuring twice.....etc.

What I’d forgotten was that the baseboard level needed raising to match the platform height. Everything now OK after the 10mm foamboard was added. Here is progress so far...PS this isn’t where it lives!

672D5716-F856-4FF7-84A4-D94419714059.jpeg

0EDD200D-3B74-44F1-B97E-B3C2B6F9001F.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

12 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Just before Gatwick for some of us...

I'd expect you'd fly in to Airwick Gatport or Deathrow, so by train from either it'd be after . . . Long walk or train journey otherwise.

;-)

• RMweb Premium
Just now, grahame said:

I'd expect you'd fly in to Airwick Gatport or Deathrow, so by train from either it'd be after . . . Long walk or train journey otherwise.

;-)

Gatport Airwick - good old Ray Moore...

True enough nowadays (unless I used Shoreham...) but in times past I lived in Eastbourne and before that, when I first got to know Andy, in Brighton (Hove, actually).

• RMweb Premium

Good old 'Hove Actually'. I lived there once, long, long ago. Went to St Andrew's C. of E. Infants school, George Street. It seems to have disappeared now, according to Google maps. Looks like it is either the Cliftonville Inn, or Bonmarché now. Oh, I feel old.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Ian Morgan said:

Good old 'Hove Actually'. I lived there once, long, long ago. Went to St Andrew's C. of E. Infants school, George Street. It seems to have disappeared now, according to Google maps. Looks like it is either the Cliftonville Inn, or Bonmarché now. Oh, I feel old.

Well, I lived in Mile Oak, Portslade, in fact but it was part of the Borough of Hove in those days rather than the People's Republic City of Brighton and Hove. Closer to 40 years ago than 30 now. Scary.

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, grahame said:

I worked near Preston Park for a while and occasionally at Black Rock, but that'd be around 35 years ago now.

I was, as Andy knows, Depot Manager at Lovers' Walk EMU Depot from 1983 - 1985.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, grahame said:

I worked near Preston Park for a while and occasionally at Black Rock, but that'd be around 35 years ago now.

Preston Park station was the first ticket office I regularly worked in. The incumbent booking clerk always took the accounting period end week off.

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, acg5324 said:

Preston Park station was the first ticket office I regularly worked in. The incumbent booking clerk always took the accounting period end week off.

So if there were any discrepancies it was your fault?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

I lived close to the line at Salford’s and my school(Redstone) backed on to the Quarry Line. Then I worked at Gatport Airwick on the aviation side but my office overlooked the north end of the station. So I had the best of both worlds aircraft and trains........heaven

Keith

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

After a thoroughly enjoyable break at Carbis Bay it’s back to York and Tier 2! I even managed to avoid going to Kernow Models!!

I’ve made a start on the next pub....The Bricklayers  Arms. This has featured in a few episodes of Minder and was a meeting place for the band members of Queen. It’s another building that’s been knocked down but I managed to find some good pictures on the Kensington Borough planning site, showing it with its replacement.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I’ve ordered some more Georgian Town houses from KINGSWAY MODELS these will finish off the block next to the Bricklayers Arms. 

There are also some 3D printed items on their way including some 1970s figures, postman opening a postbox and some street cabinets.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Not much point going anyway as you can't browse the shop at the moment. They're only doing click-and-collect.

Hadn’t noticed that so just as well I didn’t go. 

Forgot to say we did see a sign for the St Enodoc Hotel when we were near Port Issac last week.

• Like 1