acg5324

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LongRail said:

Andy

I assume the large double doors were supposed to slide sideways to open i which the beam at the top from which I assume they would be suspended would need to extend an equivalent distance either side of the opening

Short answer Gary is no idea! The doors come as framework and back panel to attach. No hinge detail though. Your suggestion makes sense though.

• RMweb Premium

What have you used for the mews cobblestone road? And what paint (colour, make, etc.,) have you used for the London yellow stock brickwork?

The cobblestones are just from Metcalfe, the paint is Tamiya XF59 Dessert Yellow. It’s just had a grey / black wash over it.

I do have some Cobblestones made by Chooch enterprises they are a rubber like moulding. I thought they would be more flexible than they are.

Edited by acg5324

• RMweb Premium

For a change I thought I’d start to lay some road surfaces down. I did get the Scalescene road as a download but as always it’s geared up for right angle road junctions so over the last couple of days I’ve been experimenting with painting some papers I had. The version I’ve plumped for is a Medium surface cartridge paper that is randomly sprayed with grey primer and satin black. The white lines etc will be added later.

CA1083A7-A4BE-4756-94A4-10B8A2B0D3C8.jpeg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

In between I’ve been cutting out walls for the next Mews which contains Olympia Motors. In real life this would be on the side of the road facing away from the viewing side of the layout so I’ve moved it across the road. Doors will be open, it seems to have pits from viewing it on Google Streetview so I’ll fit some.

0C0A11E8-E62E-4CC6-90B9-F7444198156B.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, acg5324 said:

For a change I thought I’d start to lay some road surfaces down. I did get the Scalescene road as a download but as always it’s geared up for right angle road junctions so over the last couple of days I’ve been experimenting with painting some papers I had. The version I’ve plumped for is a Medium surface cartridge paper that is randomly sprayed with grey primer and satin black. The white lines etc will be added later.

CA1083A7-A4BE-4756-94A4-10B8A2B0D3C8.jpeg

That looks good. I might try it for platforms.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

After a trip to a local reclamation yard, where we came away with a bird bath, I got down to a bit of work on Olympia Motors.

All the walls and openings are cut, two walls have had a quick coat of paint. The third is waiting some embellishments from York Modelmaking.

D2432B93-3577-4EBE-B708-DD824AFCB201.jpeg

093DF1F9-09E2-4469-9D50-5F09762A5C86.jpeg

CD388200-B4CF-44D2-BDA2-FA408965458A.jpeg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

No pictures today but got on well with Olympia Motors, it has two sets of double doors. One set I’ve left closed the others will be wide open to see the interior......just need to find some garage interior bits now. Discovered the Metcalfe garage kit has a free download which has posters ( no dodgy calendars ) signs and other paraphernalia on it. 

I’ve made the signage up for the garage. 

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Mechanics and welders on their way along with some laser cut garage type shelving. The Scalescenes garage kit also seems to have some good signs and posters and fittings with it.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Mandatory for the 1980s.

Exactly.....I remember my first day on BR..... I was sent down the Old Steine Travel Centre on the corner of St James St in Brighton and when I walked in there they had a Pirelli calendar on the wall.....out of public view!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, acg5324 said:

Exactly.....I remember my first day on BR..... I was sent down the Old Steine Travel Centre on the corner of St James St in Brighton and when I walked in there they had a Pirelli calendar on the wall.....out of public view!

A young bloke like you,,,

You must have been shocked!

• RMweb Premium

After some.....errr in depth research I settled on a Mintex calendar. Here is Olympia Motors, wall not fitted yet! The conduit that stops in between the windows will have a wall light attached to it eventually.

I think I’ll probably illuminate the workshop bay as a feature.

5165DA13-9257-4CCF-9676-9D10512B1E4C.jpeg

7E6137D8-7136-4204-B2F3-FA31B2A482BB.jpeg

E8811825-5702-447F-872C-687A976A42F8.jpeg

A00AE6C7-FBA4-4B3F-9404-D1C7B56623DD.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Whilst I’ve been waiting for my bits and bobs to arrive I’ve made a start on another building at the other end of the layout. This is No1 Addison Bridge Place next to The Hand and Flowers pub ( not yet built ) and opposite Franks Cafe (built ).

This is the building In real life....worked out how to copy pics from Streetview, not possible from an IPad. The image has been squashed up for some reason.....it should be wider.

208E776B-D842-40E7-8FB4-13D013EA44F9.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This is my attempt so far...note to self, round windows major PITA! It’s had a squirt of grey primer and the stonework picked out. 

My circle cutter only goes down to 15mm so that’s why it’s much bigger than it should be. The other layers were created by just drilling through plasticard with a 12mm 10 and an 8mm bit.

DD51B573-4EB7-46D9-9CFB-EE2C39B4F3D8.jpeg

F7B6C5B1-2730-498D-8624-9096DD9C13F6.jpeg

9E6D4FA1-439B-4B2D-A345-A31349202B46.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Sprayed up three more sheets of cartridge paper for roads last night. This should finish a couple more boards worth of roads. I’ve some road markings on order along with some more pavement and manhole / drain covers from https://www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk/. These are due to arrive today along with my mechanics for Olympia Motors.

Time for a tidy up today, the work bench... sorry layout is getting a bit covered. I’ll probably put the removed board back  in so that I can dump some more stuff on it....No......have a running session!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

With a nod to the tellytubies, tidy up time was successful and the layout is nearly clear of necessary bits and pieces  rubbish. Like buses two parcels arrived today, my mechanics and welding figures and some more pavement road markings and other bits from Scale Model Scenery.

Earlier in the week supplies from York Modelmaking arrived which included some laser cut windows and doors plus some brick headers and decorative stone edging.

D2CA5B49-83D0-4F98-B2C4-E062F5358966.jpeg

47B44169-3C20-47DF-BE23-759E3DD4ADA5.jpeg

C5B24004-F8E4-4D61-AD4E-73BD1538C018.jpeg

• Like 1