acg5324

It's progressing very nicely. The station buildings look great. 

As well as ballasting there's third and fourth rails to install. What will you use for them (code 40?) and the supports/isolating pots.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Steven B said:

Coming together nicely Andy.

How much longer are you going to put off ballasting?

Steven B.

50% is ballasted already.... the plan this week is to get the rest of the rail edges painted and maybe start ballasting the rest.

2 hours ago, grahame said:

It's progressing very nicely. The station buildings look great. 

As well as ballasting there's third and fourth rails to install. What will you use for them (code 40?) and the supports/isolating pots.

The third and fourth rails are already installed Grahame.....I’ve used T gauge rail mounted on PECO track pins that have had the head filled flat.

They went in during the first lockdown when we had some great weather did all the soldering in the garden.

EC30856A-25AD-4EF1-A091-836DB4C9A7B4.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, LongRail said:

Thats a strange looking building it almost appears as if it should sit on top of something else

Yes it’s very odd looking  Gary. I’m not sure the roof should be flat but I can’t find a sharp enough aerial view to confirm what is there and hidden behind the curved bit of facade. In real life the pavement ends either side of the Centre doors so that at one point things could be driven into it.

Andy,

will be interesting to see it in place on the layout, may put some perspective into it. I would have thought given the age it would most likely have a hipped roof originally but could well have been replaced at some time.  reminds me of the roof to Curzon Street Station in Birmingham 

image.png

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It could well be like Curzon St.

I’d tried Google Earth and maps, and the Britain from above site, plenty of views but nothing clear enough, it might even have been a long skylight, lantern roof?

• RMweb Premium

A bit of spare time this evening gave me the chance to start drawing up a rough outline for the Hand and Flower Pub. This is a big and ornate building that will be simplified somewhat. Only the Addison Bridge Place elevation done so far. Kensington High Street elevation tomorrow.

It will be built in its pre painted walls condition complete with TAKE COURAGE sign on the roof

9A3E8E70-FA2B-45AB-AF27-A921D9004B26.jpeg

16D095ED-210F-4AF1-BDDB-1CC6600591C7.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Finished the drawing off this morning. The rear will be complete guesswork, I expect there is a fire escape as the Pub has bedrooms. 

The 1895 1:1056 map of the area shows that the site of 1 Addison Bridge Place ( then called Portland Place) was just a yard, the entrance to which is still current.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/101201388#zoom=7&lat=4862&lon=10319&layers=BT

343265F3-FFFA-4390-9255-48EE64EF6D9B.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, grahame said:

A nice lot of window and door apertures to cut out. And many with arched headers. It should keep you busy for a little while.

;-)

Yes there’s barely two windows the same, at least I can make it nice and plain at the back!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Steven B said:

I've found your next project - one of Amtrak's Auto Train terminus at either Lorton or Sandford. Two locos, around 16 coaches and up to 33 auto-racks puts BRs Motorail trains to shame!

Steven B.

That train might just be long enough to join end to end on Olympia.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Today I cut out the carcass for The Hand and Flower pub......then spotted a bit of a cock up..........

I’d cut the building as per a right angle corner and it clearly isn’t.

A162F013-A724-44C4-BF39-6D231DBB45E5.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 09/11/2020 at 20:49, acg5324 said:

A small delivery arrived today...a MK2c TSO from Electra Rail, this will give a bit of variety in the Mk2 fleet. I have a Mk2b BFK to fit as well.

1E798F6E-81CC-4FAA-91DE-8B268E1EE243.jpeg

Just catching up so apologies for the time lag. What are you using as the base model for these, Andy? The old farish aircon Mk2, or the newer Mk2 / 2As?

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Jim T said:

Just catching up so apologies for the time lag. What are you using as the base model for these, Andy? The old farish aircon Mk2, or the newer Mk2 / 2As?

Hi Jim, I have a couple of the older Farish Mk2s for this project. Haven’t started them yet but have a one that I did earlier......I’ll try and dig it for some photos.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Another grey day today. Finished painting the rail edges of the unballasted baseboard.....might start ballasting tomorrow. Not my favourite job.

One wall cut out for The Hand and Flower. Brick window headers from York Modelmaking. It’s been given a quick squirt of primer. The second photo shows the relationship of the pub to 1 Addison Bridge Place.

87E799C8-8F78-4DCF-87DF-98D7F60C37B0.jpeg

8C5E64BF-4AAF-453A-89E9-A7DDB2CBD7F9.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Second of the ‘made up ‘ walls completed and given a squirt of primer. Now on to the difficult stuff.

1st of the walls has been cut out, but not all openings completed. The curved topped windows are going to be pain but I’m only going to cut them out of the brick plasticard. 

ACA20905-F4D7-4072-BB72-67321941A7C9.jpeg

863E900E-75C7-4FAB-BED6-CF8EBB320023.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 26/11/2020 at 14:16, Jim T said:

Forgot I’d made a start on two...Mk2b TSO and a Mk2b FK. The TSO is further finished, interior and vents (PECO track pins) added along with a bit more underframe gubbins. The FK has the holes drilled for the vents.

8E587DCE-B20A-4784-B39C-0DBC748ECB5B.jpeg

C65CD768-3E03-49B7-8817-A8187E365F6E.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium

Nice work Andy! Great idea with the track pins. I’ve done a couple on the old Mk2 air cons but they’re Mk 2Ds. Good to be reminded I can do 2Bs and 2Cs this way too.

Thanks for that.

Loving the buildings by the way: I was a student at Imperial in the late 80s with lots of mates over at Earl’s Court so your model sparks a lot of memories :-)

• Thanks 1