acg5324

• RMweb Premium

A little bit of progress today whilst Mrs G was out with her sister in Malton.......getting some more Gin...her sister not us!

The front fascia has been altered somewhat and the building will be apartments only...fancy embellishments need to be picked out yet.

51A6F0A7-6CF6-4C07-9E55-A1C592EB68ED.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Well I had to give in eventually.........and continue ballasting. The four foot only has been ballasted on the main running lines, the two NE bay platforms and one of the NW Motorail Sidings.

47D06C34-556D-43B2-B2CE-C2824ABDD166.jpeg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Well after tonight’s announcement I’m glad I got a stock of point motors in hand, I’ll have plenty of spare time. No excuse not to finish the ballasting although getting it painted will have to wait for much better weather.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Lockdown v3 d2.........

My next least favourite job after ballasting is cleaning up afterwards......so after a little bit of both those jobs I turned my attention to something else. Platform edges and surface. I’ve used the Metcalfe paving slabs cut into strips as the edging and the trusty cartridge paper sprayed with grey primer and Tamiya German Grey to form the surfaces. 

The Motorail shed has gained its road surface so I started edging there.

F379C183-EC70-4376-BED5-6AFA8F019D03.jpeg

BC3A2CFB-5C51-45D6-B327-6812C620D845.jpeg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

There are very few pictures of the inside of the Motorail shed out there......I’m wondering if there was some sort of raising barrier to block the ramps on to the carflats. Can’t have them driving the cars off the platform on to the track can we?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I don’t often get model railway magazines, but picked up a copy of February’s Hornby magazine yesterday whilst picking Mrs G up from work. Whilst flicking through it during the evening I was pleasantly surprised to find a nice review of my Scottish Region book.

BC2CEBBC-858E-4499-BC57-21327BFC5B40.jpeg

• Round of applause 4

On 29/12/2020 at 18:51, acg5324 said:

Some progress with the rear extension to this building today. This is basically the bin store and a couple of garages with a store room above.

E38230FE-7732-4C40-BC34-E6EBD0C3C032.jpeg

95490C1B-8A79-48C9-92B6-D707B23A7810.jpeg

4251C52D-415B-4898-9C53-3164D0E00F03.jpeg

Hi Andy,

Been watching your progress for some time now and it's all coming together very nicely. Noticed the Preston Park sign in the background in your photos, I worked there for a number of years. Happy times!

Best regards and stay safe,

Jeremy

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, acg5324 said:

There are very few pictures of the inside of the Motorail shed out there......I’m wondering if there was some sort of raising barrier to block the ramps on to the carflats. Can’t have them driving the cars off the platform on to the track can we?

Nothing obvious on the ramp in 1966:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exx_pGQIWe0

or 1972:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUL_CPuJGvg

I'm guessing the existence of the terminal building and plenty of staff would have been enough to stop folk driving onto the track. Were there barriers at the entrance to the terminal?

Steven B.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, cornish trains jez said:

Hi Andy,

Been watching your progress for some time now and it's all coming together very nicely. Noticed the Preston Park sign in the background in your photos, I worked there for a number of years. Happy times!

Best regards and stay safe,

Jeremy

The sign is from the signalbox. It was the first ticket office I used to cover when I started as a Station Relief Clerk......it ended up being my local station.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Steven B said:

Nothing obvious on the ramp in 1966:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exx_pGQIWe0

or 1972:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUL_CPuJGvg

I'm guessing the existence of the terminal building and plenty of staff would have been enough to stop folk driving onto the track. Were there barriers at the entrance to the terminal?

Steven B.

I’d seen both videos before Steven.....funnily I was watching the 1966 last night. no barriers in sight. There was a little cabin just under the shed roof to check in and direct the cars. Big pair of gate posts at the entrance which are in period with the terminal. Don’t think the videos pick them up. They are still there.

Edited by acg5324

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, acg5324 said:

The sign is from the signalbox. It was the first ticket office I used to cover when I started as a Station Relief Clerk......it ended up being my local station.

Seen this?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1968-Preston-Park-Signalling-Signal-Box-Sidings-Railway-Plan-Diagram/353343129203?hash=item5244e44673:g:gwYAAOSwJB1f549h

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I’ve  had this on watch for a couple of weeks......it’s a bit steep for a start price. Might make a cheeky offer if it doesn’t go earlier.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, acg5324 said:

I’ve  had this on watch for a couple of weeks......it’s a bit steep for a start price. Might make a cheeky offer if it doesn’t go earlier.

Yes, there's some good stuff there but not enough (yet) to make me want to pay the asking prices.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

All the west side platforms now have there coping stones and the south end is now surfaced. Even got the first bit of greenery added........needs toning down a bit.

3D60E8AA-23FC-4E2C-BEE3-C96688E6C66E.jpeg

39556C8D-4D13-4C55-88C9-C53C76BABCED.jpeg

8744DE03-A73F-4998-BC39-136415F35843.jpeg

6ECCB3DC-6D89-4BF2-9B95-C1EBBAB7EF82.jpeg

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Had a bit of a tidy up over the weekend, desk still needs sorting out though......

I’ve constructed the three big brick gate posts that are the boundary into the Motorail terminal, some etched gates and fencing is enroute from Peedie Models. At the top of Olympia Way there were several 48 sheet billboards. I’m making four, the first two are pretty well finished complete with suitable advertising!

The billboards are just temporarily planted for the picture.

173023D0-574C-4867-90B1-F559AAEA9A95.jpeg

CB7F4A32-F5A7-461F-9BE9-6959C3333F32.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 14