acg5324

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, grahame said:

Nice.

Where did you get the adverts?

Various sources on the Internet, just resized to print at 20x40mm. 

I’ve some Heineken, Fiat and BCal adverts too, would you like a copy?

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, acg5324 said:

Various sources on the Internet, just resized to print at 20x40mm. 

I’ve some Heineken, Fiat and BCal adverts too, would you like a copy?

Some of the ones out there are actually from print media rather than billboards. Yours look OK though, except for the fake news - Morris Marina a touch more class????? More class than an Austin Allegro I suppose.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Some of the ones out there are actually from print media rather than billboards. Yours look OK though, except for the fake news - Morris Marina a touch more class????? More class than an Austin Allegro I suppose.

It’s surprising how few billboard images are out there and many are American.

The Marina advert I think is a typo...should be a touch more glass!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ordered Monday, delivered today from The Orkneys.....good going Peedie Models and the Royal Mail. These are the gates and fencing for the Motorail Terminal......and also some of the Georgian Town Houses.

8E855FF9-F5F2-455C-A094-6C6C8E8B547A.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The other two billboards were finished today as well. I’m going to have a Billposter cameo hence the part finished Sealink one.....Mmmmmm Car Ferry covering up Joan Collins........and the punchline is.......?

181F5FF9-1DB7-4281-A311-F48C48DB8471.jpeg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, acg5324 said:

The other two billboards were finished today as well. I’m going to have a Billposter cameo hence the part finished Sealink one.....Mmmmmm Car Ferry covering up Joan Collins........and the punchline is.......?

181F5FF9-1DB7-4281-A311-F48C48DB8471.jpeg

Roll on, Roll off?

Regards

Ian

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

A £15.99 investment at Amazon got us some sound activated Disco lights.!!......something to brighten up the Saturday night FaceTime curry night with friends.

9C3CFA4F-6FF8-4BE9-A300-7B95CF4D6DA3.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

Back in the 70s diesel was cheaper than petrol and petrol was leaded. And in 1975 a pint of bitter was 25p. Prices rocketed quickly in the late 70s and 80s. And so did interest rates - mortgages got to 15%. I remember a lot of my friends saying they were giving up drinking when the price of a pint got to 35p then 50p and then a £1. Now it's around £4 in some pubs. 

• Agree 1

25 pence in 1975 was the equivalent of £2.11 in 2019 according to the BOE inflation calculator. However, Since 1975 average earnings for full-time employees have more than doubled after accounting for inflation.

Edited by maico

• RMweb Premium

I bought my first car in 1973 or 74 (a Ford Anglia for £90). That week petrol went up from 54p to 72p per gallon. I was earning £12 per weekend while still at a school, serving petrol, 2pm to 11pm Saturday and Sunday, at Fleet services on the M3 before there were overall roofs. Remember the days before self-service?

My first mortgage in 1979 had an interest rate of 18% while my starting salary as a graduate with Marconi was £1760 per annum.

The good old days?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Steven B said:

I can't believe I've just Googled petrol prices:

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/1981-03-26/debates/7a8666a0-e7a9-40bb-b9a9-4ab0d9ca9cd7/PetrolAndDieselFuel(Prices)

Your diesel's underpriced about about 8p per gallon!

Steven B.

From the Hansard list Looks like the Diesel is fine but the Petrol might be a bit dear......it is London and those taxi drivers have a lot of clout!  :)

I think I used this image from 1980 for a rough price and added a bit for London.

938815F0-3D3B-445E-BC2B-9B87571DA68A.jpeg

Edited by acg5324

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, grahame said:

Back in the 70s diesel was cheaper than petrol and petrol was leaded. And in 1975 a pint of bitter was 25p. Prices rocketed quickly in the late 70s and 80s. And so did interest rates - mortgages got to 15%. I remember a lot of my friends saying they were giving up drinking when the price of a pint got to 35p then 50p and then a £1. Now it's around £4 in some pubs. 

I remember......probably 10 years ago now I was at Chelsea Harbour, next to the West London Line and had time to spare and it was a nice day so I went in to The Waterside pub next to the river to get some lunch and a drink......no ale....never a good start.... so I was forced to have a draught Peroni. £5.50 a pint and they had no food either. I nearly spat out a £1 worth when they said how much!

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, grahame said:

Double baked beans and kidney beans!? I bet the atmosphere in your railway room gets a little fuggy . . . .

;-)

.........more than enough to fill the Gas Holder you built!

Fantastic thread, have really enjoyed reading through it. 

My school commute from 1987 to 1994 was from Hassocks to Brighton so nice to see your destination board in the background. 

Looking forward to your Southern book arriving tomorrow :read:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, jamesinyk said:

Fantastic thread, have really enjoyed reading through it. 

My school commute from 1987 to 1994 was from Hassocks to Brighton so nice to see your destination board in the background. 

Looking forward to your Southern book arriving tomorrow :read:

Thanks very much for the lovely comments, the next book should be out in April, Rails around Brighton in the 70s and 80s.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Rails around Brighton in the 70s and 80s? I was there, standing on top of the grit bin at the southern end of Howard Place. Unfortunately my Instamatic and cheapo slide film means I have nothing suitable for publishing, but I like this one anyway. Cor...

2011-01-15_196.JPG.c1d0e689ff2c9e70d38e013bd5b274b4.JPG

Don't know if anyone can be clever with Photoshop and improve it.

Edited by Ian Morgan
re-loaded image
  • Like 6

44 minutes ago, Ian Morgan said:

Rails around Brighton in the 70s and 80s? I was there, standing on top of the grit bin at the southern end of Howard Place. Unfortunately my Instamatic and cheapo slide film means I have nothing suitable for publishing, but I like this one anyway. Cor...

2011-01-15_196.JPG.bc8721b8b8c2058f0a50c9c9aef52cca.JPG

Don't know if anyone can be clever with Photoshop and improve it.

A little better?2011-01-15_196.jpg.7e0d5bd4cd63d1d190e97da66acd7ac6.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 13/01/2021 at 18:42, acg5324 said:

Had a bit of a tidy up over the weekend, desk still needs sorting out though......

I’ve constructed the three big brick gate posts that are the boundary into the Motorail terminal, some etched gates and fencing is enroute from Peedie Models. At the top of Olympia Way there were several 48 sheet billboards. I’m making four, the first two are pretty well finished complete with suitable advertising!

The billboards are just temporarily planted for the picture.

173023D0-574C-4867-90B1-F559AAEA9A95.jpeg

CB7F4A32-F5A7-461F-9BE9-6959C3333F32.jpeg

I put exactly the same Lambs Navy ad on City Basin Goods - fondly remembered by those of us of a certain age (certainly wouldn't be allowed today) !!

Edited by D1059
  • Like 3