acg5324

• RMweb Premium

Today I made a start on the row of shops next to the Hand and Flowers Pub. Just the front wall largely cut out. This will have a covering of brickwork. I also made a mountboard frame for part of the Olympia multi storey car park. A search on the Interweb states this was the first multi storey car park in the UK. It looks a bit odd by itself so I’m going to construct the building to its left too.

E621D4DC-3E12-4A22-A7B9-3352E2BB42B7.jpeg

8B060557-E043-43AF-B57C-AB06586362C5.jpeg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

I now have an RJ12 cable to connect my Zephyr with the Utility throttle I had for Christmas two years ago! Just need to cut a hole to mount the socket facia.

999AF876-670E-40B4-8D66-C4F7472CBF84.jpeg

• Like 3

16 hours ago, acg5324 said:

Today I made a start on the row of shops next to the Hand and Flowers Pub. Just the front wall largely cut out. This will have a covering of brickwork. I also made a mountboard frame for part of the Olympia multi storey car park. A search on the Interweb states this was the first multi storey car park in the UK. It looks a bit odd by itself so I’m going to construct the building to its left too.

E621D4DC-3E12-4A22-A7B9-3352E2BB42B7.jpeg

8B060557-E043-43AF-B57C-AB06586362C5.jpeg

Looking good. You're certainly bashing along rapidly with this. Have you got a deadline?

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

No.....can’t find the link now but the carpark isn’t as old as 1901.

Still can’t find the link but in the process found this file on its Grade 2 Listing.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1457494

Edited by acg5324
Link added
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, grahame said:

Looking good. You're certainly bashing along rapidly with this. Have you got a deadline?

No deadline Grahame....just trying to get as much done before I go back to work though.

• RMweb Premium

To nice to be in doors today so the cutting board and supplies joined me in the garden. Some progress with the shop fronts. I’ve got plenty of Dornaplas sash windows for this.

9CD4BD57-0AC8-4C99-96BB-99D0FE07559F.jpeg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Well the shop facials are coming along nicely.....nearly finished the building work....but I’ve run out of balustrades so that will delay finishing them a bit.

45C8F3F7-9E77-47C0-B9FC-33302BCB19BB.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

The shop fronts got a coat of white undercoat yesterday and today two of the three shops got the red brick treatment. The other shop will remain as painted brick and weathered accordingly.  I’ve made up some artwork for the facias, they’ll be a takeaway, restaurant and off license.

9329DC28-82AD-447C-A7A7-26D23A1C4701.jpeg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

My control panels arrived today. I’ve bought a 450mm wide and a 300mm wide panel that will be mounted side by side. Originally I was going to mount them vertically as they are slightly too wide the ‘“correct” way round. I did know that when I ordered them. Setting them up I now prefer the flat version which pokes out by about an inch rather than the vertical format I originally planned.

FE505DE5-B438-4501-A156-551170AF2CC1.jpeg

597C96CF-7AD9-4BF5-BDFE-C1CA0C15FD7B.jpeg

6C9BF56A-27D4-409B-8141-9BE3C98A8E6E.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, acg5324 said:

The shop fronts got a coat of white undercoat yesterday and today two of the three shops got the red brick treatment. The other shop will remain as painted brick and weathered accordingly.  I’ve made up some artwork for the facias, they’ll be a takeaway, restaurant and off license.

9329DC28-82AD-447C-A7A7-26D23A1C4701.jpeg

Would there have been a separate off-licence so close to the pub, Andy?

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Would there have been a separate off-licence so close to the pub, Andy?

Good point....No idea John....the current occupants of the six shops are mainly restaurants with a chemist, and a shop selling food and wine. I guess licensing laws have changed a lot since the 1970/80s. I remember being sent to the local pub when I was about 10 or 11 ( The Hikers Rest in Coldean Lane ) to get a bottle of stout or brown ale if my mum needed it for cooking. They had an off license door that got you to the back of the main bar.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, acg5324 said:

I remember being sent to the local pub when I was about 10 or 11 ( The Hikers Rest in Coldean Lane ) to get a bottle of stout or brown ale

I knew you'd started young...

• Funny 3

3 hours ago, acg5324 said:

Good point....No idea John....the current occupants of the six shops are mainly restaurants with a chemist, and a shop selling food and wine. I guess licensing laws have changed a lot since the 1970/80s. I remember being sent to the local pub when I was about 10 or 11 ( The Hikers Rest in Coldean Lane ) to get a bottle of stout or brown ale if my mum needed it for cooking. They had an off license door that got you to the back of the main bar.

When I lived in Wood Green back in the 80s there were two off licences in close proximity to a pub. One literally next door, the other on the opposite site of the street. Numerous foody takeaways as well.

Scott

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I knew you'd started young...

A pint of lager and lime at The Swan in Falmer......very sophisticated back in the day......add lime to make something palatable!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I’ve glued up the frames of the control panel..still can’t decide whether this is the way forward or have them flat but slightly proud of the base board edge......which will probably annoy me eventually.......any thoughts out there?

4C98B99D-657A-4460-9665-1D124C1B9479.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
Typo
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, acg5324 said:

I’ve glued up the frames of the control panel..still can’t decide whether this is the way forward or have them flat but slightly proud of the base board edge......which will probably annoy me eventually.......any thoughts out there?

Difficult to see what's going on behind them if they're like that?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Try sitting/standing at the control panel and operating some imaginary controls. The most comfortable orientation wins.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, ian said:

Try sitting/standing at the control panel and operating some imaginary controls. The most comfortable orientation wins.

That reminds me I had a stool for the layout before we moved north........not seen it since, might have left it with the Brighton MRC.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, acg5324 said:

That reminds me I had a stool for the layout before we moved north........not seen it since, might have left it with the Brighton MRC.

Not one of those big green draughtsman's chairs?

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, acg5324 said:

11 hours ago, 31A said:

Difficult to see what's going on behind them if they're like that?

I'm with Steve. I think not being able to see what's going on would be a problem. 

Ideas:

1. If the projecting piece becomes an annoyance, prop up the back just enough so that the front doesn't project (Pythagoras' theorem, etc.).

2. If all else fails cut a slice off the back (this would give you better access to the innards as well).

• Like 1