acg5324

• RMweb Premium

Now....I hope everyone’s sitting down.......got home from a trip out to find the postie had left a couple of parcels in the log store. One was a replacement set of solar lights........the other was from Dapol and contained three replacement GW LQ home signals!!!

I’ll test them before fitting but this was an unexpected and positive move by them.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Still keeping you on tenterhooks....haven’t tested the Dapol signals yet!

Spent a couple of hours today under the baseboards checking that the diode mattrixs do what they should. So far two point motors wired the wrong way round......easily corrected. One point rod has fallen out...........and I’ve found a route that’s missing a diode!

...time for some Ibuprofen for my knees and back......and maybe some curry, beer and wine in friends garden later!!!

Have a good weekend all.

• Friendly/supportive 2

Andy when working under my baseboard I have a moulded wooden seat and back as one unit I brought from IKEA , no legs you sit on it as a normal seat and the back holds you upright you can even lean back to look up using your legs as a counterbalance 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Back under the baseboard for a bit this morning.....the missing diode was actually one ending on the wrong PCB track. New diode fitted and old one cut out.....sorted. That’s 1/4 of the fiddle yard working as it should.

To paraphrase Ted Hastings from Line of Duty.......Jesus, Mary, Joseph and the wee donkey! ........tested the Dapol signals and they all work correctly. Well done Dapol.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

More testing this afternoon, cleared up a couple of faults.....the wires to points 8 and 9 were reversed due to someone marking the points the wrong way round!

Just one set of routes to check out on the Southern end of the fiddle yard now, everything else at that end is checked and working correctly.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Tad damp bank holiday...cleared all the faults at the Southern end and switched the DCC Concepts CDU over to twin output.....nice wallop on the points now. 
I’ve made a start on the Northern end route setting. Of the 10 routes available 5 are OK and 5 are not! On 4 of 5 routes points 1 and 2 don’t appear to throw. I suspect they are wired the wrong way round. More investigation later in the week.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, acg5324 said:

Tad damp bank holiday...cleared all the faults at the Southern end and switched the DCC Concepts CDU over to twin output.....nice wallop on the points now. 
I’ve made a start on the Northern end route setting. Of the 10 routes available 5 are OK and 5 are not! On 4 of 5 routes points 1 and 2 don’t appear to throw. I suspect they are wired the wrong way round. More investigation later in the week.

I wonder what happened to the 10,000 microfarad CDU I loaned the club for Tarrant Riverside all those years ago?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

I wonder what happened to the 10,000 microfarad CDU I loaned the club for Tarrant Riverside all those years ago?

Is that the one that was on Springfield Parkway? ........... probably still going strong.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Had a parcel arrive from DM-toys in Germany today.....ordered Friday and no customs to pay. Sent via UPS. Amongst the pair of Tomytec artics I’d ordered and the packs of road wheels and tyres was an MF Trains Autic.... articulated 3 axle car transporter.....nice model, runs well and nicely painted etc. It’s 1/160 of course so I thought it would scale down well as the originals would be to Berne gauge. It’s still wider than I expected.  It might get route restricted.

The plan is to make some Renault decals and redecorate it as such.

https://zenfolio.page.link/a3AQw Photo from Paul Bartlett

The model is more yellow than this shows

43C8C02A-CAD7-4265-8883-890BA2DD32A9.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Spent a couple of hours jammed under the baseboard sorting out the diode matrix faults at the northern end of the layout. As I thought they were down to wiring issues, with 12 sets of wires on a connecting block arse about face........obviously I must have been short of beer or wine when I wired them up! 
Just need to fully check the routes, but it’s looking good so far.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

All routes checked this morning and all bar two are fine, one looks like the diode has become unsoldered, the other hasn’t been checked properly as its two boards away, so maybe a jumper issue.

The district line got added to the control panel yesterday as well.

I’m off to the TUI shop at the weekend....see what all inclusive holidays they’ve got in the South Sandwich Islands as this is one of the 12 places we can go on holiday without isolating on return!

Edited by acg5324
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

This was the offending, connecting block, you can just make it out...just above the diode matrix.....right in the corner and the most inaccessible of course.......shouldn’t really blame it on the connecting block!!!!

F23D7503-0DC6-4900-ADDF-B5F87202D065.jpeg

C970641D-942D-4C09-8159-C34B4F9A1DF5.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, acg5324 said:

I’m off to the TUI shop at the weekend....see what all inclusive holidays they’ve got in the South Sandwich Islands as this is one of the 12 places we can go on holiday without isolating on return!

Is that between Ramsgate and Deal? :jester:

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Fault cleared on Route C this morning after extending the tails on the diode to make it more securely soldered to the PCB. the point motors that needed adjusting has been sorted but not permanently fixed yet. That leaves route L into the loco siding to check.

As it’s such a grotty day today I’m going to have a good tidy up......and run some trains!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Have a good weekend everyone...and I’ll leave you with a Crompton heading south with a load for the Dover train ferry.

36BED77E-AE3B-4B6F-9E52-47E3654623F1.jpeg

3EA4ED51-E706-42CE-95E5-7DACEEB84894.jpeg

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Not much done this week to the layout......a start has been made on the platform lamps and signs. The lamps are from Knightwing and vary in quality of casting. Quite a lot of flash and mould mismatch on many. 

14745F98-8D8B-4888-832F-64DA5534D198.jpeg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

The other job I’ve started is on the Edwin Shirley truck. I’ve made up the artwork for the trailer and Reg plates for it and the tractor unit. It will be based on this truck. I’m using a Tomix tractor unit with a 3D printed Scania 110 cab....similar but not identical. The trailer will be scratchbuilt.

1E53E375-E7AE-433A-B1B9-0DCE877B5B06.jpeg

2C06B07E-FE4A-4897-B625-069DA3E9E6F1.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, acg5324 said:

Not much done this week to the layout......a start has been made on the platform lamps and signs. The lamps are from Knightwing and vary in quality of casting. Quite a lot of flash and mould mismatch on many. 

14745F98-8D8B-4888-832F-64DA5534D198.jpeg

Have the lamps got the station name on them?????

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Have the lamps got the station name on them?????

Thankfully not on the shades, just the standard BR signs attached to some of the posts.

• Friendly/supportive 1

18 hours ago, acg5324 said:

The other job I’ve started is on the Edwin Shirley truck. I’ve made up the artwork for the trailer and Reg plates for it and the tractor unit. It will be based on this truck. I’m using a Tomix tractor unit with a 3D printed Scania 110 cab....similar but not identical. The trailer will be scratchbuilt.

1E53E375-E7AE-433A-B1B9-0DCE877B5B06.jpeg

2C06B07E-FE4A-4897-B625-069DA3E9E6F1.jpeg

Interesting project there Andy. I don't envy you with trying to match that purple shade, it seems to look different in every photo! The Sealink branding is very "of it's era" too.

Jo

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Interesting project there Andy. I don't envy you with trying to match that purple shade, it seems to look different in every photo! The Sealink branding is very "of it's era" too.

Jo

Yes the purple shade does look different on every lorry....I’ve matched the paint to the print shade of the decals. The Sealink branding is too late for me so I can ignore that.

This is the first attempt at the truck trailer chassis with the Scania cab balanced on its chassis to be.  My B.I.L. who drives class 1 HGVs tells me I need more of a step up and a bigger gap behind the tractor so that the landing legs can be fitted and then the trailer will be level.

639DBA8C-8E44-4C5B-AACD-DFFE24ED6167.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 7

26 minutes ago, acg5324 said:

I’ve matched the paint to the print shade of the decals.

I find that the easier way to colour match too. 

I'd agree with the comments on the trailer, it's a strong start, and the white edging looks a similar thickness to the purple edging to the lower edge of the trailer, so on that basis I reckon that little bit extra to get it sitting level and the height will be spot on

Jo

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Got the Mk2 trailer chassis built, the rear axles are now sleeved in brass tube which is sleeved within a plastic tube....made it easier to fit.

The trailer is now level and has a larger and longer step.

6AFC3E14-E2E0-4760-ABA2-C4D020B8FCB4.jpeg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Off out out to eat in today! An hour run over to Skipton and lunch booked at the Keelham Farm shop....they do great pie!

Before then I had time to make most of the step frame van. There are various smaller bits with glue setting to add.

78F39705-A9B0-4283-9D04-20266E947065.jpeg

• Like 4