acg5324

Some fine modelling there.

A tip I learnt the hard way with making jewellery, put a small shelf (f you can) under your desk/bench that just covers some of the gap between you and the edge of the desk. Put some soft foam on it that stops stuff bouncing (not sure what the correct type is, but the stuff I have is very very soft). You lose a lot less parts that way (especially important for jewellery if you end up working with precious metals or semi precious stones).

On the subject of Vauxhall's, they've all been a bit lacking for a number of years, really just a Opel with different badge, likely new models in the future will just be rebadge pugs (urgh!!). I used to drive a '73 HC as a daily driver until about 8 years ago (was not mine so got returned when I moved to a new place). Had a '64 HA before that. Now have a Mondeo estate, purely for the size of the boot and the economy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some fine modelling there.

A tip I learnt the hard way with making jewellery, put a small shelf (f you can) under your desk/bench that just covers some of the gap between you and the edge of the desk. Put some soft foam on it that stops stuff bouncing (not sure what the correct type is, but the stuff I have is very very soft). You lose a lot less parts that way (especially important for jewellery if you end up working with precious metals or semi precious stones).

On the subject of Vauxhall's, they've all been a bit lacking for a number of years, really just a Opel with different badge, likely new models in the future will just be rebadge pugs (urgh!!). I used to drive a '73 HC as a daily driver until about 8 years ago (was not mine so got returned when I moved to a new place). Had a '64 HA before that. Now have a Mondeo estate, purely for the size of the boot and the economy.

My aunt once had a 1969 HB SL90 estate, which went like excrement off a digging implement (at least it did when i was driving it...).

• Like 1

My aunt once had a 1969 HB SL90 estate, which went like excrement off a digging implement (at least it did when i was driving it...).

I only ever had the smallest engine in the ones I was allowed to drive (my ex had a job with a 2200 engine in that went like crazy, was never allowed near that one lol!). But they still drove well enough, especially the HA as it was so light, though it jad crossplies and no seatbelts!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello,

I like your scratchbuilt ferry vans. Any tips on how to build them and drawings in N gauge would be great, especially the Interfrigo one. These would be a nice addition to my scottish n gauge layout.

Markus

• RMweb Premium

Hello,

I like your scratchbuilt ferry vans. Any tips on how to build them and drawings in N gauge would be great, especially the Interfrigo one. These would be a nice addition to my scottish n gauge layout.

Markus

My reference sources are for Plans the Barrowmore MRG BR Folio books they have a pretty complete set.

http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/Prototype.html

There are two volumes of International vehicles. You will need to calculate the dimensions.

The drawings are basic so photos, photos, photos required.

Paul Bartlett’s wagon website

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/paulbartlettsrailwaywagons

Get David Radcliffe’s book International train ferry wagons for the modeller......Amazon sell it.

Pick your wagon of choice!

My Interfrigo van has a stretched Fleischmann wagon chassis under it, or you could go down the scratchbuilt road like Paul has done in post 569 http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/75679-kensington-olympia-in-n-scale/?p=3164148

The Interfrigo van is really just a plasticard box, two layers of 20 thou, with a 10 thou skin for the plug door and sides. The roof is layers of plasticard then filled and sanded to shape. You’ll need to get a good selection of Evergreen plasticard, planked, strip, rod, H and L section for any other wagons.

The end platforms, which are to big, and ladders are from Peedie models.

Paint is white primer from Halfords then clear lacquer.

Edited by acg5324

• RMweb Premium

Both my Viva HCs were 1300s so fast wasn’t in the spec!

I did get the first one off the ground momentarily on a Brighton Model Railway Club treasure hunt I hit a hump back bridge a bit too quickly and neither of my passengers including my sister were belted in, both banged their heads on the roof!

Dukes of Hazzard it wasn’t!

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 1

I can recommend Paul bartlets website as a good source of reference, if you purchase a photo 50p to download you typically get a much higher quality image if the higher quality images are not available the website advises that so no nasty surprises

• RMweb Premium

Both my Viva HCs were 1300s so fast wasn’t in the spec!

I did get the first one off the ground momentarily on a Brighton Model Railway Club treasure hut. I hit a hump back bridge a bit too quickly and neither of my passengers including my sister were belted in, both banged their heads on the roof!

Dukes of Hazzard it wasn’t!

Was that the one that my brother and I won, which finished up at some pub in Newhaven??

BTW I think you mean "hunt" No one, not even PJW, could describe the BMRC hut as a treasure.

• RMweb Premium

Blooming auto correct!

No it was somewhere near West Chiltington.

Where you on the one I set that had as one of the clues the East Quay cannon at Newhaven....what I hadn’t taken in was that it was on the West Quay. Nearly everyone that eventually found it then got trapped as the swingbridge opened. We were waiting at the Tiger Inn at East Dean which was halfway.....most were over an hour late getting there.

• RMweb Premium

The second batch of transfers arrived today and have now been added to the Interfrigo van. I’ll add some photos tomorrow. As expected yesterday the PC fell over at 81% with its windows updates but has rebooted OK.

Hopefully I should get the Leyland National doors finished tomorrow.

• RMweb Premium

Blooming auto correct!

No it was somewhere near West Chiltington.

Where you on the one I set that had as one of the clues the East Quay cannon at Newhaven....what I hadn’t taken in was that it was on the West Quay. Nearly everyone that eventually found it then got trapped as the swingbridge opened. We were waiting at the Tiger Inn at East Dean which was halfway.....most were over an hour late getting there.

No, I wasn't on either of those!

• RMweb Premium

Hello,

which Fleischmann chassis have you used for the Interfrigo van?

Thank you

Markus

The Transfesa ones use a Fleischmann van that were split from a starter train set by DM Toys.....chassis has kinetic couplers but body is very basic, don’t know what model number it is but you can see pictures from this post onwards http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/75679-kensington-olympia-in-n-scale/?p=2388107

These wagons have a shorter wheelbase than many. You need a wagon with a 45mm wheelbase and 76mm over the headstocks.

For the Interfrigo van I used a cheap van picked up at a swap meet, no idea what it was. These have the ‘standard’ 8000mm wheelbase. So you need something with a wheelbase of around 54mm and 86 mm over headstocks.

I’ll take a photo of the underneath as I think it shows a Fleischmann serial number.

Hope this helps.

• RMweb Premium

The wagon has Piccolo 8335 marked on the chassis....it was a wagon like this.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Fleischmann-Spur-N-8335-Schiebewandwagen-der-DR-in-OVP-LZ9815-/362114983989

This was cut in two and stretched to size with a new plasticard section in the middle.

Edited by acg5324

• RMweb Premium

The Interfrigo ferry wagon is now completed bar a light weathering. Thanks once again to LongRail for the decals.

I’ve just noticed there is a buffer missing, no idea where or when that happened as I haven’t dropped it. Will have to look in my bits box for a replacement.

gallery_681_3216_433455.jpeg

gallery_681_3216_519569.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The doors for the second LS have been made and fitted. I now have one with closed doors and one open. Both are the Farish model. I’ll need to order some more LT roundals from Mabex as I’m out of stock after one set disintegrated when trying to move it off the backing paper. From the slight yellowing to the decal I’m guessing they are probably old stock.

Another of the difficult to find Oxford Diecast Routemasters with LT Roundal has joined the fleet, £1.20 from eBay...there’s still the odd bargain out there....even including the postage it was under a fiver.

gallery_681_2306_117852.jpeg

Edited by acg5324

• RMweb Premium

Another NGS meeting tomorrow. I’ll be taking the Leyland National to finish off and the DMS to reassemble.

I’m waving between taking the Mk1 vehicles for the 4TC conversion or starting another ferry van. I’ve printed off plans for an SNCF one and a JZ one.

• RMweb Premium

Today I are mostly been putting buses back together........

The second Leyland National is now finished apart from any black bits as I forgot to take the fine Sharpie with me....so grills and blinds to be done.

The DMS has been reassembled after its repaint.......again black bits need doing.

I’ve also made a start on marking out the sides for two SNCF Ferry vans to diagram E304

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/frenchferryvan

Edited by acg5324

• RMweb Premium

A couple of pictures of the completed LS Leyland Nationals, one with open doors and sans LT roundals........and also the reassembled DMS bus, now with a paint job to match the rest of the fleet. A missed opportunity by Cars Workshop not to do UK versions of this bus, they would have cleaned up.

gallery_681_2306_1484399.jpeg

gallery_681_2306_231063.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

It pays to check drawings against pictures....... after printing off the outline drawings for the 4TC I found some big errors on the TBS vehicle. It’s basically a Mk1 BSK but the SR panelled in one of the large brakevan windows....the drawings show three panelled windows. Oooops! Photographic evidence shows only the one window panelled over.

Tomorrow will see me dismantling the two TSOs, BSK and FK....yes I’m having to use one of my Motorail fleet.

Today I dug out some road vehicles that had been partly completed. I should have some photos later in the week. But it will see the Harrods van finished as well as the Hall and Co Leyland Ergo 6 Wheel tipper and the Leyland Ergo Octopus flatbed.

• RMweb Premium

No modelling today just a nice circular walk from Grassington to Burnsall via Hebden and Linton....just under 7 miles, many alongside the River Wharfe. Beautiful day.

Managed to print some suitable decals yesterday for the part finished lorries. The Harrods ones were a failure as the gold didn’t show up very well on the dark green lorry. Plan B has been to reprint them in yellow and then mount the gold ones over the top to increase the colour density.

Yesterday I started to dismantle the coaches for the 4TC. First up was the BSK which becomes a TBSK. Battery boxes, Dynamo, vacuum brake cylinders and buffers all removed. A start has been made on filling in the one window that doesn’t exist on the TBSK.

Next up will be the FK. Pictures of progress to follow.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This is the first of the 4TC coaches.....window filled in!.......I've found someone who has etched window frames intended for a refurbished 4CEP for sale, not sure if the raised window frames will make much of a difference and I'll need to cut the window bar out where the hopper window fits. The glazing from the filled in was reused as the toilet window as these don’t have the usual Mk1 vent in them.....strangely I had to file the window to fit....so much for standard sized panels on a Mk1.

gallery_681_4518_567178.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Now for the road vehicles....

Both are ODC 8 wheel chassis, one has had the front axle cut off. Cabs are Leyland ERGO cast pewter from PG models.  Homemade decals. The Octopus has a Farish resin sheeted load added. The six wheeler a tipper body added.......might add some sand to that.

gallery_681_2306_567454.jpeg

gallery_681_2306_770305.jpeg

The RT bus has just had L plates fitted...the destination blinds are a work in progress.

gallery_681_2306_1067983.jpeg

This is a Parker Models Mk1 Transit......homemade decals for Rediffusion. Roof and bonnet need painting yellow.

gallery_681_2306_1222375.jpeg

• Like 4