acg5324

• RMweb Premium

Nice work. Wasn't it CJF that said  "a coat of paint hides a multitude of sins"?

I don’t know John, but it certainly applies in this case. Or another Pythonesque version... If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck it must be a duck.

• Like 1

Ahhhhh pictures.....

First up the completed Metrobus

gallery_681_2306_189485.jpeg

gallery_681_2306_1307926.jpeg

gallery_681_2306_518741.jpeg

A great effort there.

Looks like I might have to bite the bullet and try to bash a Leyland Titan or two from a couple of my spare Fleetlines. The lower deck windows will need enlarging, so they'll need new glazing, and then there's . . . . Perhaps it's something for the future. ;-)

G

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I left the side windows alone as moving them also meant moving the doors, the panel where the stairs are and all the roof ribs. It’s really only a Metrobus front and back but looks different to the DMS and now not like the Atlantean it was bashed from.

Cars Workshop would clean up if they anglicised the DMS. A Metrobus would be a good subject too as well as a different coachbuilder for an Atlantean.

One day GF may reissue their buses at the correct scale.

• RMweb Premium

Well my copy of the Goulding EMU plans book arrived today...bit of an oh moment as the drawings for the 4TC don’t show any underframe equipment. Looks like I’m going to have to rely solely on photos. The plans also don’t have roof ventilator positions, only the side elevations.

• RMweb Premium

Well my copy of the Goulding EMU plans book arrived today...bit of an oh ###### moment as the drawings for the 4TC don’t show any underframe equipment. Looks like I’m going to have to rely solely on photos. The plans also don’t have roof ventilator positions, only the side elevations.

Andy, why not contact the Swanage mob or one of the other groups that own one?

• RMweb Premium

Andy, why not contact the Swanage mob or one of the other groups that own one?

Good idea John, however Mr Carter owns a Kernow one which he has taken a few photos of for me, easier to flip upside down. I’ll have to get some more and of the roof too.

• RMweb Premium

Good idea John, however Mr Carter owns a Kernow one which he has taken a few photos of for me, easier to flip upside down. I’ll have to get some more and of the roof too.

Hmm, weren't we all brought up not to model a model?????

• RMweb Premium

It was a few bottles of Dark Star Hophead for me.

G

Being a Sussex lad Darkstar was a local brewery...spoilt for choice here in Yorkshire....however the last couple of weeks Aldi has had Dark Star Hophead at £1.29 for a 500ml bottle, a real bargain. Needless to say I acquired more than a few bottles, lovely stuff.
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Another day at the Yorkshire NGS meeting, some more work done on the 4TC set, photos to follow.

Took a trio of Tunnel Motors and some of the PSCX coal gondalas for a run. These haven’t run for about 4 years but after a slightly faltering start ran well until one unit lost power and kept derailing with the leading bogie trying to do an impression of Buckaroo! I tracked the fault down to bogie having seized. This was due to one of the gear assemblies coming out of the gear train and jamming everything. five mins to dismantle and reassemble and everything was ok, very weird fault never had anything like that before.

• RMweb Premium

The cab front and intermediate corridor connections have been designed by fellow NGS member Sandy Clark. They are now available on his Shapeways Store.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/HXA8MHF4E/2-cab-ends-for-4cig-4big-4vep-4rep-4tc?optionId=66560465&li=user-profile

https://www.shapeways.com/product/HYVDTXG26/sr-emu-corridor-connections?optionId=66560501&li=user-profile

The corridor connections just replace the existing ones, the holes for the locating pins may want opening out slightly. The rain cover will want removing from the ends as they don’t exist on the EMUs.

The cabs will plug into the the end of the Graham Farish Blue Riband Mk1 coach once the end has been removed by cutting from the inside of the coach to leave the side untouched. Slight filing of the roof is required as it will be too long.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some pictures of the 3D printed 4TC cab and intermediate gangways,............................

gallery_681_4518_1040263.jpeg

gallery_681_4518_989712.jpeg

gallery_681_4518_988158.jpeg

Loosely attached to the Mk1 coach and getting a shove from a trio of tunnel motors........

gallery_681_4518_827541.jpeg

gallery_681_4518_94189.jpeg

I will get some close ups taken later today.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

If you want the location of the roof vents, pop over to Dart Castings website and download the pdf instructions for their 4mm 4-TC brass sides. They are all on their, and also the interior arrangements as well. Should be fairly easy to scale down to 2mm....

http://www.dartcastings.co.uk/resources.htm

Edited to add URL

Edited by Geep7

Do the corridors stick out the same amount as the Farish mouldings they replaced? On my mk1s I think ( from memory) that I used one long and one short rapido. I do know, the corridors touch on the straight but still get round my 9 inch curves on the test track

Jo

• RMweb Premium

If you want the location of the roof vents, pop over to Dart Castings website and download the pdf instructions for their 4mm 4-TC brass sides. They are all on their, and also the interior arrangements as well. Should be fairly easy to scale down to 2mm....

http://www.dartcastings.co.uk/resources.htm

Edited to add URL

Do the corridors stick out the same amount as the Farish mouldings they replaced? On my mk1s I think ( from memory) that I used one long and one short rapido. I do know, the corridors touch on the straight but still get round my 9 inch curves on the test track

Jo

Thanks for the Dart Castings link that’s very useful for the roof vents.

The corridor connections are the same depth as the existing Farish ones. I think these are the short Dapol knuckles. I’ll swop them back to Rapidos as a trial, the layout has quite generous curves. Fleischmann profi couplers for the intermediates might be an option.

• RMweb Gold

Yes it is a big gap, Dapol knuckle couplers. I’ll be using them at the cab ends but it needs something shorter inbetween.

Way back when I had a 4-TC set converted from Farish coaches, we cut the back off the Rapido coupling and permanently glued it to the bogie. If I remember correctly, we did this on all the inner couplings and it still went round 12in radius curves, obviously the lack of buffers within the set helping with this

Edited by Geep7
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The second cab is enroute from Shapeways along with a few cars.....Peugeot 504, Skoda Estelle and Vauxhall Chevettes.

Some Evergreen plastic tube is also on its way to produce the air tanks and MG set (or is it a compressor ) for the 4TC.

All the additional windows have now been cut out.

The MJT plan showing the position of the vents is at odds with the Kernow 4TC so I am going to break a rule and model the model!

Yes it is a big gap, Dapol knuckle couplers. I’ll be using them at the cab ends but it needs something shorter inbetween.

Hi Andy

I made the corridor connections the same depth as the originals, my only British train is an Edinburgh - Glasgow push pull set which I fitted Dapol short shank couplers when sitting on the straight the connections are about 1mm apart so I [may wrongly] assume that the MK1's are the same as the Mk2's.? If that helps.

Sandy

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy

I made the corridor connections the same depth as the originals, my only British train is an Edinburgh - Glasgow push pull set which I fitted Dapol short shank couplers when sitting on the straight the connections are about 1mm apart so I [may wrongly] assume that the MK1's are the same as the Mk2's.? If that helps.

Sandy

These are Dapol short knuckles, definitely longer than the Farish Rapido. I have found Etched pIxels do a NEM Bar coupler in varying lengths and of course Dapol do a non working knuckle bit like Red Caboose? used to do.

The corridor connections are great as a straight replacement.

These are Dapol short knuckles, definitely longer than the Farish Rapido. I have found Etched pIxels do a NEM Bar coupler in varying lengths and of course Dapol do a non working knuckle bit like Red Caboose? used to do.

The corridor connections are great as a straight replacement.

Hi Andy

Ooops you are correct I have the non working ones fitted to the push pull set.

Sandy

• Like 1