acg5324

• RMweb Premium

A couple of photos showing a start on the cab end jumpers for the 4TC....what do you think, 5amp or 15amp fuse wire?

This is the 15amp

gallery_681_4518_194830.jpeg

This is the 5amp

gallery_681_4518_640943.jpeg

10 A if you can find it, otherwise the 5 A. it will look thicker when you paint it.

• RMweb Premium

Good that’s exactly my opinion 5 amp plus paint.

Looks like 10amp fuse wire is only available on a reel rather than a short length on a card.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Saturday afternoon had a trip into the countryside, to Gilling and the RSME running day. I’ll post some photos later but seeing miniature engineering masterpieces with full length passenger and freight trains running around the track was a great afternoon out.

https://rsme.org.uk

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well UPS delivered a box from Shapeways safely today.

A pair of RailNscale Range Rovers.

gallery_681_2306_182837.jpeg

A RailNscale Bedford Chevanne and a Reliant Robin from another maker.

gallery_681_2306_211195.jpeg

Some NEM bar couplers for the 4TC.....I've fitted the middle length ones at present

gallery_681_4518_303902.jpeggallery_681_4518_619685.jpeg

Some buffers for the DTS coaches of the 4TC set. The Farish ones are too short with the cab end added and a little lightweight.

gallery_681_4518_928832.jpeg

Finally some chimney pots in a couple of styles.

• RMweb Premium

The 4TC after a quick squirt of Rail grey.....doesn't match the Farish paintwork very well. Looks like some work still required on the quarterlights.

gallery_681_4518_20122.jpg

The NEM bar couplers in place. It'll be interesting to see how this propels now.

gallery_681_4518_211268.jpeg

gallery_681_4518_832434.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not much progress with the 4TC this week but I have managed to add the dampers to the bogies to make them more like B5,s....well when I say dampers it’s a bit of plastic rod. I’ve also started to make some horns from plastic road and filler as the only brass ones I’ve found don’t look suitable.

Finished scanning the pictures in for the third of my books today, this is the Eastern Region. This will give me some breathing space as it doesn’t need to be with the publishers until November. About 150 out of 190 captions written too.

• RMweb Premium

Not much progress with the 4TC this week but I have managed to add the dampers to the bogies to make them more like B5,s....well when I say dampers it’s a bit of plastic rod. I’ve also started to make some horns from plastic road and filler as the only brass ones I’ve found don’t look suitable.

Finished scanning the pictures in for the third of my books today, this is the Eastern Region. This will give me some breathing space as it doesn’t need to be with the publishers until November. About 150 out of 190 captions written too.

B5 or B5(S)?

• RMweb Premium

I think he means B5s, as in plural, not in the possessive, nor the Southern.

Paul

Yes the plural...although the number on the Southern must have outnumbered the Catering and Sleeping cars by far.

Hence my question - the TCs, like all contemporary SR EMU trailer cars, were fitted with B5(S) bogies, not ordinary B5 bogies as used under loco-hauled cars. The obvious visual difference is that the traction rod is attached to the bogie frame by a prominent casting (I think - or possibly forging. Can't remember after all these years).

See the third picture down on this page:

http://www.semgonline.com/gallery/class421_04.html

• RMweb Premium

Ah I see what you mean, so my answer should have been yes plural and yes B5S.....only the damper fitted so far, will start the other bits at the Yorkshire NGS meeting today. If plasticard doesn’t work I’ll have to find some thin brass strip.

I’ll also be doing some propelling testing with the bar couplers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Photos to follow but the bar couplers worked a treat with a propelling test on the Wards Cutting layout.

Made some brackets up from plasticard for the bogies, about 50% fitted. Horns are being made up from plastic rod and filler, look a little chunky but not to bad.

• RMweb Premium

Ah I see what you mean, so my answer should have been yes plural and yes B5S.....only the damper fitted so far, will start the other bits at the Yorkshire NGS meeting today. If plasticard doesn’t work I’ll have to find some thin brass strip.

I’ll also be doing some propelling testing with the bar couplers.

Hi

I did mine with square brass strip

post-109-0-08023900-1536440770_thumb.jpeg

Difficult to take a photo of though.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well some belated pictures of the 4TC and Crompton on the Yorkshire NGS Guys Cutting layout. A successful trial with the bar couplers. I have subsequently removed the Dapol working knuckle couplers and replaced them with the non working type. The working ones look far to big to me much larger than MT ones.

gallery_681_4518_548941.jpeg

gallery_681_4518_1637192.jpeg

gallery_681_4518_1334976.jpeg

As you can see the cab recesses have had a light wash to make them stand out more. Horns have been added to one of the DTS cars since this was taken.

I've bought a couple of ODC Mk3 Ford Cortinas in red, which are the latest release.They still suffer from over-wide wheels and axles. Don't really know why the bother with rotating wheels at all.

A still have several Mk1 chassis available from non produced carflats. One of these is going to be married up with a selection of cheap Farish Leyland Nationals to produce RDB977091. The National body is a little narrow for the Mk1 frame so I will split the sides from the roof and add a fillet of plasticard to make it a bit wider. The window spacing isn't far out, any extra space will be lost around the doors. I know it doesn't fit into my 1980 time slot but as I've always planned to run a 1986 timetable as well it looks like 1983 will also be added!

p106047062-4.jpg

p614357351-4.jpg

p379796218-4.jpg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 4