acg5324

• RMweb Premium

These posters were produced by finding the images on the net resizing them to be consistent then the images were resized again to be 4mm wide and 6mm tall ( or 8 x 6 for the LT maps ) and printed on to self adhesive label stock, cut out and stuck onto 20 thou black plasticard. The finished item was then glued on to the building with some acrylic varnish.

gallery_681_3268_7891.jpg

gallery_681_3268_10167.jpg

gallery_681_3268_57721.jpg

A quick trip into the loft to place the buildings roughly where they will live.

gallery_681_3268_99251.jpg

gallery_681_3268_57029.jpg

gallery_681_3268_55382.jpg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 16

Ahhh, Happy Memories!

Just the overall roof of the Motorail Terminal and its associated two island platform canopies to go now…………..

BTW, the old Up Platform could hold a loco and 20 coaches!

:-)

Edited by Horizontal

• RMweb Premium

Ahhh, Happy Memories!

Just the overall roof of the Motorail Terminal and its associated two island platform canopies to go now…………..

BTW, the old Up Platform could hold a loco and 20 coaches!

many thanks everyone for the comments.

The Motorail terminal will take the biggest hit on length but will be built like the real thing...probably only 3 roads rather than 4.

I can get a loco and 10 in the main platform.... 11 at a pinch. The Brighton to Manchester services were loco and 7 so they can be scale length. the Motorail trains will be reduced to 5 coaches and 4 carflats.

I'm guessing by 1980 the scissors crossover didn't get much use? Whilst I'm putting one in its probably not going to be functional.

• Like 1

……..the Motorail trains will be reduced to 5 coaches and 4 carflats.

Personally, I would have done it the other way round, as there were always more car-flats than coaches on the prototype - Oh, and a full restaurant car is an absolute must, as I distinctly remember having my breakfast in one whilst the two portions of the train were being joined up adjacent to North Main Box in both 1966 and 1967 - BTW, all the other coaches were first class, no seconds, and the restaurant car was always next to the loco when departing northwards!

Edited by Horizontal

Personally, I would have done it the other way round, as there were always more car-flats than coaches on the prototype - Oh, and a full restaurant car is an absolute must, as I distinctly remember having my breakfast in one whilst the two portions of the train were being joined up adjacent to North Main Box in both 1966 and 1967 - BTW, all the other coaches were first class, no seconds, and the restaurant car was always next to the loco when departing northwards!

A quick calculation suggests that, if the occupants of each car took one first-class compartment, and each Carflat held four cars, then one first-class coach (seven compartments) would need one and three-quarters Carflats for the associated cars. Should the number of cars per wagon be increased to five, then this figure comes down to 1.5 (ish). This latter would give a ratio of four coaches (plus restaurant car) to six Carflats; suddenly, you can see the attraction of Cartic-4s..

I'm guessing by 1980 the scissors crossover didn't get much use? Whilst I'm putting one in its probably not going to be functional.

No, they were pretty rusty by then, and the facer in the down platform saw little use except when the Kenny Belle wasn't formed with either a TC set or a DEMU

I've lived nearby for the last 10 years so know the station very well. I kick myself for not photographing it before London Overground got their hands on it (so much worse to use than it used to be!).

It's nice to see someone doing it accurately Andy! The photos further up the page really show it coming together well.

I was just looking at pictures to try and work out when the scissors were removed. They still seem to be there in 81 but gone by 86.

Do let me know if you need anything measuring up. I'm away travelling until February but should be moving back to the area again in March.

Guy

I was just looking at pictures to try and work out when the scissors were removed. They still seem to be there in 81 but gone by 86.

They were taken out in October 1983, when North Box was abolished after the end of the last Motorail season there

• RMweb Premium

Point taken regarding the Motorail trains....will have more carflats than coaches....does mean I'll have to make even more of them. :(

I have four finished and three part constructed. Will need to wait for some more bargain GF Blue Riband Mk1's ( last batch I got were only £11 each. )

Point taken regarding the Motorail trains....will have more carflats than coaches....does mean I'll have to make even more of them. :(

I have four finished and three part constructed. Will need to wait for some more bargain GF Blue Riband Mk1's ( last batch I got were only £11 each. )

It'll be worth it! - Ohh, and don't forget the dark blue protection pads on the car windscreens, which protected them from any vandals that the train may have encountered on route!

Edited by Horizontal

It'll be worth it! - Ohh, and don't forget the dark blue protection pads on the car windscreens, which protected them from any vandals that the train may have encountered on route!

And for that added bit of realism, around half the pads on incoming trains should be shown as blown up and partly off the windscreens by the wind :)

A pic of the building taken in July 1964 during the period when the overnight sleeper trains from Scotland to Euston where being diverted to KPA

As far as I can ascertain, the building was erected when the new LT Bay was commissioned in March 1958, but was primarily built for the Kenny Belle

BTW, the substantial footbridge was built in 1930!

post-18256-0-64548300-1407918991.jpg

Edited by Horizontal
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice photo.... The footbridge has been chopped and changed a lot over the years.....lost its windows, lost the SW staircase lost the extension across Olympia way, regained a new SW staircase! To name but a few.

Flapping windscreen covers.......I might just give that a miss!

I really hope that Bachmann take the plunge and do a RTR Carflats for n scale. there is a Motorail branded GUV due but I think these were not commonly used until later. The kit of the Newton le Willows car carriers is another option.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy,

Ultima do a kit for the carflat.

http://www.ultima-models.co.uk/catalogue/br-wagons.html

Best regards,

Jeremy

Yes I know and the Newton le willows car carriers...they just look like a pig to assemble, at least going down the GF Mk1 route it's largely only soldering the side rails to the deck that is a major PIA and a source of burnt fingers tips :)

• RMweb Premium

I keep calling them Newton le Willows car carriers when they should be Newton Chambers! I haven,t come across a photo of one at Olympia either ....modellers licence.......

just when I was about to give up a remembered this photo.

http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p974485281/h1d4ec3b6#h1d4ec3b6

Edited by acg5324