acg5324

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, acg5324 said:

Truth tables done......I’ve done it so that the points on the UM into siding E remain straight when a route is taken from the DM and vice versa. Not sure if that’s overkill.

CC101179-BF17-40C3-A87A-C69B3E15B0C4.jpeg

5CEB482C-1943-4C9E-8E9D-C5C15EA0BB40.jpeg

That makes perfect sense but I don't think your truth table does that. You seem to have switch E selecting two routes. Surely you need the two unlabelled switches to the right of point 5 - EU and ED perhaps? - to select 5 ST or TU.

I'd suggest:

UM = 8ST, 15TU

EU = 5ST, 8TU, 9ST, 15TU

ED = 5TU, 8ST, 9TU, 14ST

DM = 9ST, 14ST

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

That makes perfect sense but I don't think your truth table does that. You seem to have switch E selecting two routes. Surely you need the two unlabelled switches to the right of point 5 - EU and ED perhaps? - to select 5 ST or TU.

I'd suggest:

UM = 8ST, 15TU

EU = 5ST, 8TU, 9ST, 15TU

ED = 5TU, 8ST, 9TU, 14ST

DM = 9ST, 14ST

I think I see what you’re getting at John. I think I was trying to over complicate things by keeping points 8 or 9 parallel when the other route is selected....and I’d missed 15TU for E.

mark 2 below

DE0C2578-406E-4E5E-B172-461D8A22A841.jpeg

7A768086-4E01-455C-BA3C-F1CAF6B5B337.jpeg

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, acg5324 said:

I think I see what you’re getting at John. I think I was trying to over complicate things by keeping points 8 or 9 parallel when the other route is selected....and I’d missed 15TU for E.

mark 2 below

DE0C2578-406E-4E5E-B172-461D8A22A841.jpeg

7A768086-4E01-455C-BA3C-F1CAF6B5B337.jpeg

That looks better.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Silly me....just realised I only need one wire per route across the baseboard jumpers when I’ve allowed and fitted for two wires per point. At least I won’t have problems finding spare wires for signals and lighting!

First route has been tested....all the motors buzzed...no CDU so the points wouldn’t move over....fingers crossed.

• RMweb Premium

Are you planning on installing multiple CDUs, with a trigger activated by low current signals from your control panel? If, instead, you have just one CDU with wires to and from the control panel carrying the full current, then those long wires, and especially the D-type connectors, could drop quite a few volts, and reliability of point operation could suffer (been there, done that). Having two pins per route might help there, as you could link them together and half the voltage drop for each connector.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ian Morgan said:

Are you planning on installing multiple CDUs, with a trigger activated by low current signals from your control panel? If, instead, you have just one CDU with wires to and from the control panel carrying the full current, then those long wires, and especially the D-type connectors, could drop quite a few volts, and reliability of point operation could suffer (been there, done that). Having two pins per route might help there, as you could link them together and half the voltage drop for each connector.

Thanks for that Ian, good idea. Probably one CDU for the fiddle yard and one for elsewhere......but very flexible at the moment.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, acg5324 said:

Thanks for that Ian, good idea. Probably one CDU for the fiddle yard and one for elsewhere......but very flexible at the moment.

You'll remember my old CDU that I think ended up on Tarrant Riverside. That was 10,000 microfarads. I read somewhere that you should allow for 1,500 microfarads for every motor that is to be thrown at the same time. I've always worked to this value and never had a problem.

Hope this helps.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

You'll remember my old CDU that I think ended up on Tarrant Riverside. That was 10,000 microfarads. I read somewhere that you should allow for 1,500 microfarads for every motor that is to be thrown at the same time. I've always worked to this value and never had a problem.

Hope this helps.

Certainly remember the Soyuz rocket boosters! Do you remember the time someone decided to put a screw driver near it  and bridged the contacts welding the screw driver to it.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, acg5324 said:

This looks like it might be a worthwhile investment....and has an integral power supply.

https://www.dccconcepts.com/manual/cdu-2-mains-powered-super-high-energy-dual-output-capacitor-discharge-unit/

Should be OK. I use a lot of DCC Concepts stuff, not least Cobalt point motors (usual disclaimer).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A brief interlude from the layout after a tip off from Mabel of this parish.....DRS liveried 68033 on a Scarborough working.  Here it is just south of the York ring road at Haxby on its way back to Liverpool......not my best photos, should have stayed where I was rather than check out somewhere new.

1F840811-6977-4B69-8A69-553E6AC0F501.jpeg

25F6F80F-97C1-4A16-B110-63D50DCCAC88.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Next truth tables for the other end of the fiddle yard which does spread over two boards A and F. I was going include the crossover 31a and b but it makes too many routes and is mainly used by traffic from the downside of the fiddle yard.

Route L is the loco road at the end of the other fiddle yard board B and comes off A road.

BB76F197-C368-4407-BCB7-E0A165D6AB4B.jpeg

BEB301BC-94C1-4432-B47B-9B20224E2B8C.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Couple of deliveries today, thicker flexible cable for the DCC bus jumpers and some grey card. 

The more interesting delivery was from Railtec, excellent service as always.

3D decal name plates and numbers for 47555 The Commonwealth Spirit, Black IC numbers to renumbering my Mk2f coaches when they arrive and finally a set of decals for breakdown train coaches and departmental stock.

I have a couple of Dapol Maunsell coaches to convert into the tool and mess coaches. With the York show cancelled I was unable to get hold of any Superstrip.....might be another mail order next week.

FA47E68E-F1FE-4DE6-84F5-C71C74B0FD40.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, acg5324 said:

Next truth tables for the other end of the fiddle yard which does spread over two boards A and F. I was going include the crossover 31a and b but it makes too many routes and is mainly used by traffic from the downside of the fiddle yard.

Route L is the loco road at the end of the other fiddle yard board B and comes off A road.

BB76F197-C368-4407-BCB7-E0A165D6AB4B.jpeg

BEB301BC-94C1-4432-B47B-9B20224E2B8C.jpeg

Have you made future provision for the extension of E road?

• RMweb Premium

I’m glad someone is paying attention John, unlike me......

3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Have you made future provision for the extension of E road?

........no......I will add that in, thanks for the reminder.

Other than getting the main jumpers and the diode matrix made and attached this is the end of the wiring for a while. No point motors, I’ve used all my old ones up.

Back to buildings and scenery  next week.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

In a change to the advertised programme....started one of the three overbridges.

AD3BB7C6-030F-48E1-8C32-7A985EF8ED48.jpeg

F5DEAAA2-018C-4897-A1F8-10E95C1DADA2.jpeg

image.jpg

As you can see I added some additional bracing to the bridge. The far one is not yet finished and the brick piers underneath are not yet attached. 

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, acg5324 said:

In a change to the advertised programme....started one of the three overbridges.

AD3BB7C6-030F-48E1-8C32-7A985EF8ED48.jpeg

F5DEAAA2-018C-4897-A1F8-10E95C1DADA2.jpeg

image.jpg

As you can see I added some additional bracing to the bridge. The far one is not yet finished and the brick piers underneath are not yet attached. 

How are you going to ballast under the bridges?

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

How are you going to ballast under the bridges?

Carefully........it’s only 100mm wide, track needs painting too. The second bridge has a removable deck which will be replaced with some 80thou plasticard. The third bridge is some way in the future. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Very little progress today. The bridge girders were finished and have been sprayed....currently drying in the garage. I’ve made a start on the High Street Kensington bridge which will mean slewing the District line again as there isn’t room for the bridge support. Thought it might be tight for clearance...and it wasn’t so much tight as blocked!

• Friendly/supportive 1