acg5324

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, acg5324 said:

No Steven, that will be an issue as I can’t turn the cars round. I am going to fit a pin at the centre of each car that’ll fit a small hole in the carflat so that they won’t roll around. 

I’m open to any suggestions.

Use GUVs? :P

How about glueing the wheel chocks to the cars and use magnets to hold them in place? You'll still have to manually load them. Probably not feasible and I think ignoring the problem is the way forward!

Either way, I shall look forward to seeing it at the Yorkshire N Gauge group some time, (hopefully this year!). I'm sure it'll look rather good with some Intercity stock on it!

Steven B

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The easiest Motorail train is actually one that will be very interesting to run. the Brockenhurst / Dover to Stirling and v/v this will involve some serious shunting to get all the bits in the right order. It also won’t be an issue turning the cars as that can be done in the fiddle yard!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The layout was successfully parted today with one slight mishap. I’d missed cutting a section of road surface across a baseboard joint.........the repair will look like potholes!

Board E now has half its point motors installed and I’ve completed the “Common jumper” for this and the adjacent board. This carries the DCC bus and two commons, one for points and one spare....probably for signals.

One of my very old spools of cable has now run out...just a couple of inches left.

FD2A1F23-255B-4348-8825-CC895896829D.jpeg

CF12E852-CDBE-4811-9FC3-9D59E3DCBECD.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, acg5324 said:

The layout was successfully parted today with one slight mishap. I’d missed cutting a section of road surface across a baseboard joint.........the repair will look like potholes!

Board E now has half its point motors installed and I’ve completed the “Common jumper” for this and the adjacent board. This carries the DCC bus and two commons, one for points and one spare....probably for signals.

One of my very old spools of cable has now run out...just a couple of inches left.

FD2A1F23-255B-4348-8825-CC895896829D.jpeg

CF12E852-CDBE-4811-9FC3-9D59E3DCBECD.jpeg

How long have you had that tin of Fluxite?

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

How long have you had that tin of Fluxite?

Oh god it must be 30 years old. It did have a price label on it for Airds tool shop which was in Brighton’s Bond St......not to be confused with the London one!

Theres not a huge amount left.....I’ve heard good things about liquid flux.

Edited by acg5324
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

A while back I got a Fleischmann bogie curtain sided wagon to anglicise. Earlier this week I found that Precision Decals had 4 versions of the liveries that are available on the ferry versions of these wagons......so I ordered two varieties on Wednesday which arrived today, excellent service from John at Precision labels and the post office.

The wagon will get a respray as it needs to be dark blue.

182BE4FC-9526-410E-A009-855994F26E7D.jpeg

BB4C402D-9D72-4296-A13F-D743FB0B0A8C.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Apart from a few flurries of snow it’s been a grey and miserable day so to brighten things up I’ve started to add road markings. These are from Scale Model Scenery and pre cut on very thin self adhesive vinyl. They are a little bit fiddly to lay but look great. I went a bit wobbly going round the corner with the double yellows.....they are already cut curved.

652C96FA-36AA-452D-8BBF-9097C2880C5B.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Steven B said:

I don't think I've seen the great storm of '87 modelled so well!

Steven B

I slept through that......woke up to a scene of destruction around Brighton. I should have been working at Hassocks I think no trains so spent the day in Brighton ticket office. Did the banking run, with another Relief Clerk who also couldn’t get to where they working, in a taxi and had a guided tour of the mess that was left.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I was ten and lived north of the M62 and didn't understand what all the fuss was about...

Mind you, I could say the same about the recent snow in the South East!

Steven B.

Edited by Steven B
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Steven B said:

I was ten and lived north of the M62 and didn't understand what all the fuss was about...

Mind you, I could say the same about the recent snow in the South East!

Steven B.

Did a Zoom call to my sister in Shoreham (by sea) today.....just a dusting there. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Bit of socially distanced shopping yesterday. Whilst Mrs G went round the Supermarket I went to The Range. Got the last pack of cartridge paper to finish the road surfaces etc and an A1 sheet of mountboard which should keep me going for a while.

I managed to track down some loft panels, 2.4m long ones on Sunday. MKM delivered these for free yesterday lunchtime. Excellent service.

Today I’m going to carry on adding road markings. The only issue I’ll have is that there is only one set of bus stop markings and these are in yellow. My bus consultant tells me that yellow markings were not compulsory until 2002 and that back in the 1980s would have been in white. I’m going to see it they are paintable.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, acg5324 said:

Today I’m going to carry on adding road markings. The only issue I’ll have is that there is only one set of bus stop markings and these are in yellow. My bus consultant tells me that yellow markings were not compulsory until 2002 and that back in the 1980s would have been in white. I’m going to see it they are paintable.

Interesting about the bus stop marking colours. It had me scurrying to check what I'd done so far and it looks like I've got it wrong. It'll need changing, but shouldn't be too difficult. I use a Posca paint pen to apply the marking - letters are done freehand over lightly pencilled marks and straight lines against an upturned rule:

DSC_7198.JPG.00747bdf4b4dbf29e6da468bbbb194c4.JPG

Edited by grahame
speeling
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, grahame said:

Interesting about the bus stop marking colours. It had me scurrying to check what I'd done so far and it looks like I've got it wrong. It'll need changing, but shouldn't be too difficult. I use a Posca paint pen to apply the marking - letters are done freehand over lightly pencilled marks and straight lines against an upturned rule:

DSC_7198.JPG.00747bdf4b4dbf29e6da468bbbb194c4.JPG

You might be OK Grahame as it only compulsory from 2002 I assume that before that it could either colour...I’ll try and find what date the yellow version was introduced......and at the end of the day it’s only us that knows that and I’ll have forgotten it by tonight. :wacko:

• RMweb Premium

There are plenty of 1970s and 1980s videos of London buses on you tube including tours of the city.

Having had a look at a hand-full I don't think you need any bus stop markings on the road - even into the 1990s they didn't appear to be common. What was common was a row of parked cars right next to the bus stop!

1970:

https://youtu.be/VwXQA03MJgE

>1985

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xag6rEpwG4k

Steven B.

• Like 1