acg5324

• RMweb Gold

Sisters of Mercy followed by Keane...definitely an eclectic taste is there ever was one...

Good to see the layout coming along, all that flowing track is looking great

Nestor

• RMweb Premium

Sisters of Mercy followed by Keane...definitely an eclectic taste is there ever was one...

Good to see the layout coming along, all that flowing track is looking great

Nestor

Thank you..........Shuffle is wonderful........Sarah Mclachlan then Delerium, New Order, Lizzie and Within Temptation one after each other.

Just about run out of track pins.....some in the post from Liverpool along with some more points and another Mk1 BG......you can never have enough parcels stock!

• RMweb Premium

Coming along nicely. I really like your motorail flats. I must build myself some of those for my Cornish layout.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Thank you.... some earlier photos of the Carflats

gallery_681_2084_111939.jpggallery_681_2084_178285.jpggallery_681_2084_110271.jpg

In the batch that is under construction there will be a non Motorail branded bauxite coloured carflat with B5 ( well B4 ) bogies.

• Like 13

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just found this. You may have already seen it but it's from the Britain from Above website. Nice view if the station, albeit in 1949 but still gives an idea of how big this station is.

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw022038?search=kensington%20olympia&ref=7

No never came across these....quite a few of Olympia, very good, thanks for posting the link. What is currently the LT bay seems to have an extra track and parcels stock in it.

I was at Olympia yesterday whilst the car was being serviced......4 hours.......6 freights only and 2 of them turned up while I was on the phone to the garage! Dull day for movements but nice relaxing sit in the sun!

• RMweb Premium

Great start to your layout ,love the signalbox very well modelled .

looking forward to your progress

Brian

Many thanks........ Not much progress over the last week on the layout but have been doing a bit of modelling. GF class 24 conversion into a 25/0 altering the handrails on the new GF class 25 so that they don't stick out so far. I have been building more carflats as well, making the wire guard rails has been driving me nuts, difficult to solder then I can never get them to stick to the sides. My last trip to the Hobby Box at Uckfield included a purchase of some fine plastic rod by Evergreen, so I have used these to replace the wire on batch 2. much easier to work with and look OK to....will get some photos posted over the weekend.

• RMweb Premium

First of the second batch of Carflats. 6 vehicles, various GF Blue Riband Mk1 coaches brought as cheaply as possible.

Here are three, handrails done but awaiting end flaps. Handbrakes and signage boards fitted.

gallery_681_2084_123393.jpg

gallery_681_2084_107640.jpg

The first one sprayed and lettered...TOPS data panels from Precision Decals This will be probably be the only B5 bogied carflat I have as they were very rare.

Deck and details yet to be painted. On the iPad at the moment the album Hydra from Within Temptation.

gallery_681_2084_100266.jpg

5 rail blue Motorail carflats drying....honest I wasn't watching them dry.

gallery_681_2084_68828.jpg

All 6 carflats from the second batch......that gives me 10 so far........ I'll probably do another 6. I have a Newton Chamber car carrier kit on order to see what that is like, plus a few GUV's should see me sorted.

Now Playing The Habit by Lizzie.

gallery_681_2084_40895.jpg

They are not dry enough to start adding the decals. I have run out of hand brake parts so two will have to wait until I find something to use.

gallery_681_2084_69698.jpg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

A final run through the paintshop ( Garage ) and here are the six finished carflats.....one even got a light weathering before I pack everything up and go to work tomorrow. ( Just had my long weekend off ).

..........and on the Ipod this afternoon Junk by Monaco ( a New Order spin off for those that have never heard of them ).

gallery_681_2084_59877.jpg

The weathered Carflat

gallery_681_2084_103199.jpg

The 'brown' Carflat with B5 bogies.......the deck is actually a different colour although it dosn't look it. In the background Moony - Dove

gallery_681_2084_41430.jpg

I've just ordered some more FVV TOPS panels from Precision Decals to do the next batch as I've run out.

Quite a constructive weekend with nice interruptions, Friday saw the play Daytona at the Theatre Royal in Brighton staring Maureen Lipman, Harry Shearer and Oliver Cotton, excellent, Watched the Tour of Britain from the roadside about a mile from home...near Old Boat Corner those that know Brighton and finally Monday night we were back at Theatre Royal again to see the local comic Simon Evans tour, which was also being recorded for DVD......very very funny indeed highly recommended.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

My order from Ultima / Etched Pixels arrived yesterday. The mixed media Newton Chambers car carrier kit looks particularly interesting. I've taken some photos of the bits which I've now posted...plus of course some progress photos.

The etchings and 3D printed body

gallery_681_2084_68249.jpg

A closer view of the 3D printed body.....the pins are the roof vents and supplied. This is the first 3D item I have been near, very odd feel to the surface which will need rubbing down.

Etches are good although the bogies sides are very flat, might have a play with them though.

gallery_681_2084_81798.jpg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

3D printed shell, roof sprayed grey and rubbed down several times to give a smoother finish.

gallery_681_2084_48502.jpg

The ends come as a clever 3 part etch which goes together very easily, shame my bogeyman Superglue came to the fore, wouldn't set, got a tube of Unibond extreme glue that said it would glue anything and could work as a contact adhesive too. horrible stuff a gel like glue that also wouldn't bond but left everything sticky. I ended up using Evostik contact adhesive, new stuff is nothing like old solvent based glue.

gallery_681_2084_63512.jpg

Solebar details added and the edging to the well between the bogies.

gallery_681_2084_77856.jpg

Ends completed, nice turned buffers.

gallery_681_2084_52735.jpg

Overall side view.......it was at this point I noticed one of the pins that act as roof vents was missing. No idea where that's vanished to.

gallery_681_2084_51506.jpg

The bogies on the real wagons are short wheelbase B2? The etch for the bogies is three parts, frame and outer detail for each side, plus top hat bearings that drop into place. Once again the glue failed me so I soldered them up, should have done that to start with.......and the ends too.

gallery_681_2084_70896.jpg

The bogies folded up. For the life of me I have been unable to fix the coupler into its mounting box, have now broken part of the etch too. What I am going to do is get some NEM coupler boxes and glue them in place.

gallery_681_2084_20230.jpg

PECO track pins as the replacement vents.

gallery_681_2084_103371.jpg

Overall side view with the bogies in place.

gallery_681_2084_15599.jpg

Roof lights added, glued on with varnish, the roof will be resprayed. The bogies have had quick spray in dark grey as well.

gallery_681_2084_77830.jpg

And on the IPod tonight Thea Gilmore.

gallery_681_2084_1168.jpg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 5

Just found this. You may have already seen it but it's from the Britain from Above website. Nice view if the station, albeit in 1949 but still gives an idea of how big this station is.

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw022038?search=kensington%20olympia&ref=7

Great photo! I can see my house once logged in/zoomed in.

I was wondering about the big cleared area around Blythe Road. I'd always assumed that this was bomb damage but it looks like it was possibly never built on?

The station looks great with all four sets of bays in place. Such a pity that they sold the eastern half of that off to build houses. Some of the point work is still there for the south-eastern bay though.

Guy

• RMweb Premium

Well that's another week of night shift finished.......fairly benign.......one fatality, one engineering work overun estimated 30 mins, actual overun 107 mins!  one engineering work overun estimated 60 mins, actual overun 2 mins! plus sundry defective stock and signalling problems. Back to the land of the living and a chance to get a bit of modelling done.

More progress with the Newton Chambers car carrier..

The sides are a download printed on to photo paper then sprayed with satin varnish to seal them. Edges 'painted' with a black then blue marker. Printing them was a bit of a paint as my home printer and the ones at work refused to print them the correct size until I found what setting was causing the issue. At which point my home printer died with the dodgy on / off switch becoming dodgy no more....just a complete failure. New one has arrived, nearly as cheap as a set of ink refills!

gallery_681_2084_2261.jpg

gallery_681_2084_26918.jpg

Blown up pictures are very cruel.....not to happy about the bogies, I'm thinking of getting a pair of Dapol B set bogies, same ( or near enough ) wheelbase and modifying the sides.

gallery_681_2084_99442.jpg

And can you guess what it is yet! Next project before I do some more track laying.

gallery_681_3216_100826.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Superb Andy! A rake of these will look pretty impressive. Have you weighed them down a little of are they heavy enough? 

They are quite light, even with the etched bogies.....some weight will be needed. I can't remember if the Farish mk1's had a weight as I've dismantled loads for the carflats! If not there is a sheet of lead in the garage...........

Edited by acg5324

• RMweb Gold

Loving the car flats.  

Like the ipad sleeve notes too. Monaco, great stuff...are you a Peter Hook fan by chance... perhaps I could recommend 'The Light' if you are not aware of his current project (with his son).

Keep up the good work.

Edit ... spelling mistake... cat flaps lol

Edited by griffgriff

• RMweb Premium

Loving the car flats.

Like the ipad sleeve notes too. Monaco, great stuff...are you a Peter Hook fan by chance... perhaps I could recommend 'The Light' if you are not aware of his current project (with his son).

Keep up the good work.

Edit ... spelling mistake... cat flaps lol

More of a New Order fan.....first Monaco album is excellent the second is a bit pants..... I'll check out The Light, thank you.

I'll have some photos of the Ferry Wagon to post later today and some comments regarding construction.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some photos of the Mill Lane sidings BR Ferry van, this has the Etched Pixels  / Ultima Models detail kit added. The kit is laser cut from card and a chopped and stretched PECO 15ft wagon chassis.

The roof has been added now as well as V hangers, but it needs air and vacuum tanks and handbrake levers. I think this makes a nice model, The only weakspots for me are the buffer beams which are card. I made up some plasticard ones. It could also include the V hangers in the underframe truss. The underframe trusses went like spagetti at one point because I used PVA watered down a bit. once dry I could reform them straight! 

I've just realised that the photos show the LH end frame extensions missing.......these have been added.

gallery_681_3216_93460.jpg

gallery_681_3216_57053.jpg

gallery_681_3216_83282.jpg

Once painted and lettered I think it will stand up well to the likes of this. An Arnold continental van weathered and re- lettered to represent a Yugoslavian ferry van.

gallery_681_3216_185924.jpg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1