acg5324

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Dtwo said:

Are those exhibtion coaches of pre-nationalisation vintage? The corridor connections look like they're Stanier.

David

Yes they are Stanier coaches. A set of exhibition coaches is on the to do list......but near the bottom.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not much done on the layout this week, the signal part arrived from Wizard Models, so I’ll probably get them started and then week.

Had an unexpected trip to Kwik Fit today after clipping a curb getting out of the way of an ambulance. Low tyre pressure alarm on the car went off straight away , managed to nurse the car to a lay-by by which time the tyre was completely flat. I might have only knocked the tyre off the rim, can’t get it fixed until Sunday morning so the 50mph spare will have to suffice until then.

76725CBA-7669-4EF5-9694-88EDC43A8656.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Well this has been an odd weekend.....found a nice gash in the side wall of the tyre......£250 later I have a replacement.......That’s what you get for have 19 inch wheels and a odd sized tyre!

At the M.I.L.s after a call from her sister to say she’d just had a very odd conversation with her. Whilst we there she had a stroke, ambulance called and the paramedic crew got her into hospital double quick where she had another one. 
Looks like a busy week in store.

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

I found the missing ladder for the middle gantry.....it again drops down in the 6ft......The photo I found, shows it as painted black with a white bottom hence not picked out easily.

https://zenfolio.page.link/sxjkE

C55E7A06-3A98-4B02-ABB0-FDC3982A778E.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
Wrong photo added.
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Got the bracket signal for one of the Motorail terminal sidings built. The arm is moveable but won’t be working. Not impressed with Ratio signal kit......and even less so with their street lights four of which have been made up.

152FDA06-C8AA-4BC2-95AA-EB8A796C6BB0.jpeg

43DE18EB-0049-4486-B2A5-02DBF3C18DA3.jpeg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Steven B said:

Was the counter-weight attached to the upper post a Kensington Olympia thing?

I thought they were usually at the base of the main signal post.

Steven B.

The instructions with the Ratio signal are basic in the extreme and show the weight going on the bracket arm.  I can’t see one on any picture of that signal as it invariably gets blocked by one of the others in photos. I won’t be surprised if it’s wrong.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The purpose of the counter weight is to return the signal arm to danger if the wire breaks (and to some extent reduce the effort required by the signalman). It would normally be placed at the end of the wire, and be connected to the arm by rods (which should not break). Looking at various images, the length of the rod is not standard, so the balance weight could be either near the top or the bottom of the signal. Bracket signals often have a series of rods and cranks allowing the balance weights to be fitted to the main post. However, there are also examples where the wire runs to the individual dolly posts, with the balance weights on the dolly posts.

So, a photo of the actual signal will be the only way to know for sure.

https://www.alamy.com/kensington-olympia-motorail-terminal-1-image330391800.html

This photo shows the main post  of the bracket signal does not have a balance weight on it, but is it on the dolly post and painted white?

The single post signals do appear to have balance weights near the bottom of the posts.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Looks like it to me.

That’s the photo I’ve been working from. I have one other from the front but again the signal is partially obscured in the critical area.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

.....a walk round the corner from work to Boyes in York to see if they had the Vallejo skin tone paint set in stock....to no avail.....however they did have this non PC set of skin tones which are more than adequate!

95957D5C-C752-47A2-B304-FA869F2F5D88.jpeg

C388F87F-5815-4D80-B5E2-FE0B36A4F3E3.jpeg.928eed211fd11d84cebccab48ef24033.jpeg

not sure I’ll find this kind of fairy on the streets of West London.......but then again......

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, acg5324 said:

some 3D figures from Modelu

That "couple" don't look much like you and Debbie.

however they did have this non PC set of skin tones which are more than adequate!

"Fantasy and Historical Figures" sounds just about right for model railways.

not sure I’ll find this kind of fairy on the streets of West London.......but then again......

Worth a look though, I reckon.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Do we need to get ModelU to come to a Yorkshire Area Group meeting? - you can have us all standing on the end of the platform train spotting (or in the cafe scoffing biscuits!).

The ModelU tail lamps are rather nice...

Steven B.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Nothing done to the layout this week as I’ve been at work in the shop and have more or less completed a project for them. There is a new website and EPOS system coming…so to avoid having to use stock photos for the website an N gauge and OO gauge diorama are being made…….Guess who’s building the n gauge one!

This is progress so far. Chipboard shelf off-cut 47 cm x 23 cm, a scrap bit of battern used for the embankment and covered in papermache ( best thing to do with an old Sunday Express ). Ratio fencing and telegraph poles. Spare code 55 track. Woodland scenics for the greenery and finally a very much altered Metcalfe warehouse factory kit.

A bit more to do in the far corner.

4F0A283C-D485-4EF8-8E3E-AF4B491D7B70.jpeg

92ED9F75-AACF-4B8E-B78F-2C8361CA9A2D.jpeg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, grahame said:

And you knocked all that up in a spare 10 minutes? Impressive.

Thanks…….Maybe a little more than 10 mins…..

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, acg5324 said:

Nothing done to the layout this week as I’ve been at work in the shop and have more or less completed a project for them. There is a new website and EPOS system coming…so to avoid having to use stock photos for the website an N gauge and OO gauge diorama are being made…….Guess who’s building the n gauge one!

This is progress so far. Chipboard shelf off-cut 47 cm x 23 cm, a scrap bit of battern used for the embankment and covered in papermache ( best thing to do with an old Sunday Express ). Ratio fencing and telegraph poles. Spare code 55 track. Woodland scenics for the greenery and finally a very much altered Metcalfe warehouse factory kit.

A bit more to do in the far corner.

4F0A283C-D485-4EF8-8E3E-AF4B491D7B70.jpeg

92ED9F75-AACF-4B8E-B78F-2C8361CA9A2D.jpeg

Looks good Andy but...

will the brewery background be a bit distracting for website photos?

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Looks good Andy but...

will the brewery background be a bit distracting for website photos?

Hopefully not, I think most photos will be taken from a low angle……..and it’s a bit of advertising for the address…..OK we don’t do beer! The board will be powered so that DCC equipped stock can have its lights on etc.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Another week of little progress on the layout. As I had some different coloured flock to do the display board some of this has been used on Olympia. 
The West London line book got some attention this week with the photos being rearranged into the correct orders…..about six more to scan then a start on the captions.

M.I.L. was sent home after her stroke yesterday, originally with minimal notice to the family, but later put back by 24 hrs so that things could get sorted at home….like food, hot water turned on, key safe and handrails fitted…..drilling holes late into the evening. Fun ahead.

Debbie and I met up with Keith Carter from the Brighton club in York last night. Nice meal out after I'd had a detour via the Station Tap for a pint or two before hand.

41688650-FD2E-4A8C-9ECC-D27F280BB88E.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

This week we have mainly been away on our holidays. It was our 25th wedding anniversary yesterday…so we had a day out on the SVR!

We’ve also marked the aqueducts at Chirk and Pontcysyllte off in our ABC of bridges along with the Chain bridge at the Horseshoe falls and  Morris’ bridge on the Shropshire Union Canal as well as Ironbridge. At Ironbridge we also did a walk along the former railway line that includes these preserved level crossing gates and track. ( pics on the next post ).

AD4BEBAC-C4A7-454C-8FA0-C6908251BBED.jpeg

D0E6B970-479F-436F-8C63-FD9041F06A3A.jpeg

B4757E00-D7C5-449F-9B5A-290AA9D4D6F5.jpeg

B9357D6B-1379-489C-86E0-59F22993E8EC.jpeg

C8CEC071-FEDA-47CC-93E7-E0DE5FB2413A.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 8
  • Round of applause 1