acg5324

• RMweb Premium

Busy time at work and getting ready for the Brighton MRC exhibition has meant little or no progress with Olympia. 

Got a little bit of modelling done today which included checking how the Dapol NEM pockets will fit the BR ferry van ( some cutting required ) and the Newton Chambers car transporter ( easy fit to the bogies )

The ferry van has a coat of paint...awaiting decals before I start weathering it.

gallery_681_3216_113866.jpg

gallery_681_3216_59982.jpg

The Newton Chambers car carrier. I've decided to keep the as supplied bogies which I will try and strengthen a bit. A start has been made on weathering it......they do seem to have got very dirty from the state they appear in on any Internet photos.

gallery_681_2084_72636.jpg

gallery_681_2084_12085.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Very nice Andy. The car transporter looks great and the weathering looks spot on!

Thank you. The Dapol NEM pockets have turned up so have glued them in place on the bogie......just waiting the actual couplers!

I should be able to get a bit more modelling done as my Surgeon has just signed me off for a month and put me on crutches due to a crack in my left knee joint. Just need my dear wife to get some modelling stuff out of the loft now for me to work on.

I will post some pics of the TCV a shortly and the ferry wagon, which has been decaled and weathered but needs some Matt varnish on it.

I'm also doing some drawings to produce the Motorail reservations office which was adjacent to Russell Road on the east side of Olympia. Very few pictures on the web of it and none of the side facing the street.

Stumbled across this thread and kept on reading and reading.  Excellent buildings you have constructed Andy.  Not my scale, not my region of interest, but your thread has kept me entertained for a few hours.  Will be following to see how it all progresses....

Regards...

• RMweb Premium

Stumbled across this thread and kept on reading and reading.  Excellent buildings you have constructed Andy.  Not my scale, not my region of interest, but your thread has kept me entertained for a few hours.  Will be following to see how it all progresses....

Regards...

Many thanks for the comments..........................more to come from me in a few mins!

• RMweb Premium

Mrs G has been an angel and got as much stuff into the Dining room as she could, Including her first solo trip into the loft and we've been in this house since 1998!

This lot then promptly arrived....... Isn't the internet wonderful!

gallery_681_3476_138911.jpg

4 GF blue riband Mk1's one C & M models in Carlisle, super quick delivery and a very good price........4 more carflats beckon.

Dapol NEM pockets and couplers and GF NEM rapidos from that shop in Liverpool.

1981 Motorail brochure from eBay to add to my Motorail Gallery

On the Ipad Sniff 'n' the tears - Drivers Seat.

gallery_681_2084_42969.jpg

The Newton Chambers TCV kit has had some weight added in the form of some scrap square section brass added to the bogies and body. NEM pockets glued to the bogies.

gallery_681_2084_49042.jpg

gallery_681_2084_34322.jpg

NEM Rapido added to one end and a Dapol knuckle coupler to the other. A couple of US brake wheels have replaced the very small ones supplied. A washer has been added between the body and bogie but lifts the body too high. Once the layout is runable I will see if this is needed, hopefully not!

gallery_681_3216_32672.jpg

The Mill lane sidings BR ferry van is completed now with NEM pockets glued in and short GF Rapidos added. Seen here attached to an Arnold Transfesa van.....The difference in scales works in our favour here for Ferry vans.

gallery_681_3268_11330.jpg

I've run up some outline drawings for the Motorail reservations office at Olympia. This was on the east side of the station adjacent to Russell Road, Very few photos of this building on the web ( including the ones I have ) and none of the wall that

faces Russell Road so that will be complete guesswork. 

gallery_681_3268_53797.jpg

gallery_681_3268_46163.jpg

A couple of views of progress so far. This will use the Scalescenes downloaded brick paper printed on to an A4 label once again and windows produced as previously for the station buildings and signal boxes.

And finally still given stirling service many years after being bought when we sold off the last few from Brighton Travel Centre is my plasticard bag

gallery_681_3476_115853.jpg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

What a horrible grey day out there. my enforced feet up at least has some advantages.........................I'd still rather be at work though.

My 4 GF Mk1's from C&M models in Carlisle are now being converted into............... yes you guessed it...........more Carflats.

The plastic handrail versions are certainly easier and quicker to produce than those with wire.

One of the carflats is a GF/ Ultima models combo.....I decided the Ultima kits carflat kit was going to be a bit of a fiddle to build so I've used the deck, hand brake levers, end flaps and works plates as part of a GF conversion.

gallery_681_2084_72483.jpg

gallery_681_2084_83120.jpg

gallery_681_2084_45527.jpg

Today the Postie brought gifts of gold, frankin................not really just a pair of GF Mk1 CCT's and very nice they are too.

gallery_681_3483_6312.jpg

I have made a start on weathering some of my parcels stock as a break from carflat construction

Dapol ex SR CCT

gallery_681_3483_21425.jpg

Dapol ex Blue Spot fish van 

gallery_681_3483_84826.jpg

I've some nice chalk destinations decals from Railtec to add to some of these. 3 more ex CCT's to do along with 3 Mk1 GUV's and of course the new MK1 CCT's.......Hope the Farish will do the ex LMS Full brake in blue next year, if not I'll have to pick up 

one of the others for a repaint....the ex SR Full brakes are due as well next year to be followed by the PMV's for even more variety.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

As result of the carflat build I do have several Mk1 bodies ( all latest model ) of varying types and liveries.......mainly SR left over for disposal..... i'll list them shortly. If anyone wants them let me know and I'm sure we can do a deal.

• RMweb Premium

5 more Carflats completed this week and weathering started on half a dozen parcels vans. Spraying the carflats will have to wait as I cant get to the garage easily and for some strange reason the ever tolerant Mrs G won't let me spray them in the Dining room!

I had a nice visit from Corky and Mrs C http://www.corkscrewlines.blogspot.co.ukthis week a very pleasant time putting the world to rights.

Edited by acg5324

Hi Andy,

You have some superb stock coming along. The car flats look really nice. I tried using primer in the kitchen once, did not go down too well! My excuse for needing correct temperature etc fell on deaf ears. Your reservations office should look nice when finished, I have used the Scalescenes paper on my bridges for Dallam and its excellent but did not use labels which think I will do next time.

Cheers

Simon

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Andy,

You have some superb stock coming along. The car flats look really nice. I tried using primer in the kitchen once, did not go down too well! My excuse for needing correct temperature etc fell on deaf ears. Your reservations office should look nice when finished, I have used the Scalescenes paper on my bridges for Dallam and its excellent but did not use labels which think I will do next time.

Cheers

Simon

Many thanks.......found some Humbrol Rail blue acrylic in the cupboard so avoided the problem in the end. Need to spray the building in Dullcoat now that it has its brickwork added.

• RMweb Premium

Not much progress other than more car flats............they are for life not just Christmas!

15 now completed with variations in TOPS panel placement etc.....some still need their hand brakes adding.

gallery_681_2084_345247.jpg

gallery_681_2084_10094.jpg

gallery_681_2084_82089.jpg

gallery_681_2084_53149.jpg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Wow, that's quite a collection! Nice work!

Thanks, I'm out of 'cheap' Mk1 coaches now so they'll be a bit of a pause. Some weathering and making the hand brakes will fill the time in up to Christmas.

I think I'll stop at 20........or when GF release them RTR in 2016!

• RMweb Premium

Who knows! I think your versions are pretty damn good though! Will look amazing on your layout, maybe a rake of Mk1's behind them too.

I also like the fact that you have varied the versions too which adds a bit of additional interest to the consist.

There is quite a pile of Mk1 FK,s in the cupboard to go with the carflats. I have a Mk1 BSO conversion which seems to be the normal brake accomadation BSK,s will have to suffice for the rest. I also have several sleepers......hope to add more when / if the price drops!!

Mk1 GUV,s will make up one train and I think I'll get more of the TCV kits to for variety.

Edited by acg5324

• RMweb Premium

I've had a Tomytec tractor / trailer sitting in the cupboard for a while to turn into something more suitable for 1980. The tractor unit is a Hino one which I am make a bit more generic UK. The trailer is a 40ft one with rib sides to which I have added a fridge unit ( this was a part on an American Ltd spruce of coach parts.....should be an aircon unit. )The tractor and trailer will get repainted into a Company that no long exists and is also a play on my surname............. No clues other than its Scottish......the hauler not my name!!!

gallery_681_2306_50212.jpg

The original model, good value at £7.00 and on the Ipad today The Pierces,

gallery_681_2306_9009.jpg

Dismantled....its at this point I find the cab is moulded in clear plastic which is painted over...b****r

gallery_681_2306_39387.jpg

Fridge unit added and some mods started on the cab...a blurry clue lies in the background to its future identity.

Edited by acg5324

• RMweb Premium

Some more parcels stock being weathered and altered.

First up Mk1 BG renumbered and Express Parcels decals added from the RAILTEC range.

gallery_681_3483_55686.jpg

Next a GUV Express Parcels lettering removed and renumbered and weathered...again Railtec decals.

gallery_681_3483_457067.jpg

Then two more GUVs renumbered, recoded and lettered for Motorail traffic.............no surprise there then!!! Decals again from Railtec

gallery_681_3483_116.jpg

gallery_681_3483_28959.jpg

Lastly progress with the Artic........its ultimate guise can be spotted in the background...........................of the very last photo for today.

gallery_681_2306_12069.jpg

gallery_681_3483_48433.jpg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Last post before Christmas.......the artic is nearly finished....just a few bits to touch up!

gallery_681_2306_79107.jpg

Home made decals and some light weathering mainly to the trailer. Red stripes to add to the tractor unit....if I can find those 4mm Intercity stripes I had.

gallery_681_2306_20961.jpg

A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone................

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 5

Last post before Christmas.......the artic is nearly finished....just a few bits to touch up!

gallery_681_2306_79107.jpg

Home made decals  and some light weathering mainly to the trailer.

gallery_681_2306_20961.jpg

A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone................

Looks very nice. Are Gibbs still going? I'm sure I've seen their lorries on the Shuttle.

Did Hino ever sell tractor units in Europe? I can only remember seeing 8-legger tippers, often with Northern Irish plates; presumably they were imported via there?

• RMweb Premium

Looks very nice. Are Gibbs still going? I'm sure I've seen their lorries on the Shuttle.

Did Hino ever sell tractor units in Europe? I can only remember seeing 8-legger tippers, often with Northern Irish plates; presumably they were imported via there?

Gibb's closed down in 2002. The tractor unit has just been made to look a bit less Japanese.....if I could it would have been converted into a Seddon Atkinson tractor.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well after not much work done over Christmas and the New Year, I've got down to some modelling this week.

First up some progress with the Motorail Reserations Office. I have deviated from plan here and made construction easier by changing the windows on half the building to match the other half. This is only a representation of the real building as I've shrunk it to fit the site
and I haven't a clue what the side that faced Russell Road looked like.
gallery_681_3268_46611.jpg

gallery_681_3268_120508.jpg

Whoops bit of a cock up in the size of the wall!
gallery_681_3268_74020.jpg

Soon rectified.......Sisters of Mercy - a slight case of overbombing ( greatest hits......yes they did have more than one! ) on the Ipad.
gallery_681_3268_28309.jpg

Signs produced for the building
gallery_681_3268_31122.jpg

An easy side project.......Found a Flickr album containing lots of Motorail photos including a couple which had a Mk2z BFK in the formation,
The Farish Mk2 BSO uses the same body shell.......................................

The dismantled coach and the interior of a Mk1 CK that will be the donor for 4 1st class compartments.
gallery_681_2655_77020.jpg

The interior fitted, not neat but all the joints will be hidden.
gallery_681_2655_51002.jpg

As Mk2z BFK M14045 decals from Fox transfers, curtains are paper printed orange with some pencil shading.
gallery_681_2655_85442.jpg

If you are not already aware...and I'm sure you are.......have a look at Loftus Road, Kensington Olympias bigger brother...fantastic work from James and the team.

And of course the amazing O gauge Kensington Olympia layout from the Twickenham MRC.

I wonder we could get away with having an Olympia sub forum!!!!

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

A bit more progress on the buildings for Olympia over the last few days

This is the Motorail Reservations Office which was on the east side of the station overlooking the SE bay platforms. Needless to say not many helpful photos about and I've had to shorten it both lengthways and widthways. 

Needs weathering yet. 

gallery_681_3268_116208.jpg

gallery_681_3268_67905.jpg

gallery_681_3268_160318.jpg

gallery_681_3268_144064.jpg

Some time back I built a Mk1 BSO by cut and shutting  various GF Blue Riband coaches......I've now weathered it... very heavily. I have a photo this coach M9225 at Olympia on a Motorail service but have lost the online link to it.

gallery_681_2655_107289.jpg

gallery_681_2655_16948.jpg

The weathering has been done as if the coach has had a major attack of exmover in the carriage washer that hasn't been rinsed properly.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

With the lack of class 47's available and GF releasing the shove duff this spring I wondered how I could justify one as I've always had a soft spot for them.

A trawl through the Internet revealed this photo of 47701 at Kings Cross early in its life https://flic.kr/p/ojWk6h

That's close enough for me!

The release of a plain blue 47/0 also in the spring should bring the fleet up to strength.