acg5324

With the lack of class 47's available and GF releasing the shove duff this spring I wondered how I could justify one as I've always had a soft spot for them.

A trawl through the Internet revealed this photo of 47701 at Kings Cross early in its life https://flic.kr/p/ojWk6h

That's close enough for me!

The release of a plain blue 47/0 also in the spring should bring the fleet up to strength.

Interesting photo with the unusual headlight.

• RMweb Premium

Yes it is....looks similar to the car headlights fitted to the class 26's and 27's.

These were the standard headlights fitted to the 47/7s as originally converted - as I recall they were indeed an automotive headlight (lorry/bus rather than car). The RCH receptacles have already been modified. Originally they were mounted with the cable entry at the bottom but they filled up with water so very early on they were turned through 180 degrees.

Oops - 180 degrees not 90 degrees

Edited by St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

A bit more progress on the buildings for Olympia over the last few days

This is the Motorail Reservations Office which was on the east side of the station overlooking the SE bay platforms. Needless to say not many helpful photos about and I've had to shorten it both lengthways and widthways. 

Needs weathering yet. 

gallery_681_3268_116208.jpg

gallery_681_3268_67905.jpg

gallery_681_3268_160318.jpg

gallery_681_3268_144064.jpg

Some time back I built a Mk1 BSO by cut and shutting  various GF Blue Riband coaches......I've now weathered it... very heavily. I have a photo this coach M9225 at Olympia on a Motorail service but have lost the online link to it.

gallery_681_2655_107289.jpg

gallery_681_2655_16948.jpg

The weathering has been done as if the coach has had a major attack of exmover in the carriage washer that hasn't been rinsed properly.

Probably at Lovers' Walk then. :)

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I thought today I'd spend some time renumbering some of my coaches. Got 5 FK,s done and curtains added into them so what next....... I can do the catering vehicles.

The lovely RU has been renumbered and relettered as an RBR ( using RAILTEC decals ) which is not strictly correct but it's to good a model to chop. Why on earth did GF choose that vehicle rather than the much more common RB who knows.

Next up were the RMB,s it was at this point that I found I had 4 of them instead of the two that I thought I had!

After removing the numbers from the first RMB I selected a new set of numbers from my RCTS Coaching stock book. M1838 a Commonwealth bogies dual braked and dual heated example. I carefully cut of the RAILTEC decals and mounted them carefully. Job done. I then removed the next RMB from its box....it was at this point that I realised that the stock running number is M1838!!!!!!!! I'd just renumbered the previous coach with its original number.......what a muppet!

Needless to say it has been re-renumbered now as M1862.

• RMweb Premium

A few more jobs completed this week as I'm now back at work.

Acquired a couple more Mk1 FK's at a good price these and the rest of the FK fleet have had orange curtains added.

Whilst tidying up the dinning room which has been my temporary work room I thought I'd take some photos of trains you'd see at Olympia

First up is 1O52 the 2330 Manchester Piccadilly to Brighton and its return working 1M50 the 0907 Brighton to Manchester Piccadilly

A 7 car Mk1 set vacuum braked and dual heated.

gallery_681_3476_106897.jpg

gallery_681_3476_31087.jpg

gallery_681_3476_80132.jpg

2nd is 1M63 the 2035SO Brockenhurst to Stirling Motorail. This attached at Olympia to a portion from Dover. The inbound service was 1O92 the 2020FO Stirling to Dover and Brockenhurst which divided at Olympia. I will need to shorten this train somewhat for the layout!

gallery_681_3476_55240.jpg

gallery_681_3476_123863.jpg

gallery_681_3476_4681.jpg

And finally folks a couple of pages from the West London Line WTT for 1979/80 to show what a diverse range of trains and light engine moves there are, and this is only 0005 to 0800.

gallery_681_3476_67650.jpg

gallery_681_3476_104223.jpg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 9

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Blimey over a month since I last posted anything......so what's been happening I hear you ask? B****r all really now that I'm back at work.

I have been however doing some mods to the Dapol 21 ton hoppers so that appear more like the re bodied versions. all the uprights stripped off and new ones made from Evergreen plastic strip. I had a number of NGS detailing kits for their 21 ton hopper kit so I though I'd use them up.......but the handrails won't fit :( I will see if I can use some plastic rod to make new hand rails...either that or some wire.
gallery_681_3476_56995.jpg

On the left, stock Dapol 21 ton hopper resprayed bauxite and vacuum cylinder plus HOP21 decals added. On the right rebodied version, uprights and rivets removed, new uprights added. 

As part of the research into the Olympia area I have found some great photos including one that shows that the building that is now the Hilton Hotel at one time contained the offices for TWA......LINK TO THE PICTURE  and another HERE.

The other end of this building has the famous Bristol Cars showroom. I have come across a website for paper or card models and one they do is for a Bristol Sports car....free to print off. Just needs resizing to 1/148.

I splashed out and bought a new gadget this week for the princely sum of £2. An adjustable circle cutter, intended for paper it should go through thin plastic or at least mark it for a stouter knife. This will be used for the Hand and Flower pub in the Hammersmith Rd as it has lots of arched windows.

gallery_681_3476_32873.jpg

The pub can be seen above the Crompton in this image. So thats the next two buildings sorted...................just need to get some more done to the actual layout.

p1019020330-4.jpg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Another long lapse before posting anything....time flies

Anyhow a bit of progress with buildings outside of the station...as in post 186 above I have made a start on 380 Kensington High Street the TWA West London terminal, two walls part completed so far and a few windows attached. This will be an L shaped low relief building. The walls are plasticard with an overlay of Scalescenes pebbledash once again printed on to an A4 label. Windows are produced as per the station buildings using a table produced in WORD to form the window frames.

gallery_681_3268_75593.jpg

gallery_681_3268_101310.jpg

The two Dapol 21 ton hoppers have had vacuum cylinders and plastic handrails added plus are now painted. Decals and weathering to add.

gallery_681_3216_21413.jpg

gallery_681_3216_43689.jpg

gallery_681_3216_48360.jpg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Blimey six weeks since the last post, still........... haven't been sitting around modelling!    A fantastic few days at the Boskerris Hotel in Carbis Bay gave me a great excuse to visit a certain Cornish Model shop in Camborne....didn't buy anything..................I lied

gallery_681_3383_91324.jpg

Couldn't  resist a Western....bit out of time period but what the heck!

gallery_681_3383_40575.jpg

Weathered class 25 will give me my third class 25 for dragging the Motorail trains to Mitre Bridge.

gallery_681_3483_52323.jpg

Former LMS BG, this will be dismantled and resprayed to become another item of parcels stock

Another few days away at the in-laws in York for the Tour de Yorkshire and work has also eaten into any modelling time.....any old excuse!

gallery_681_3476_75827.jpg

Finally arrived yesterday a box of 5mm foamboard to construct the platforms

Yodel have just delivered my Cumbrian Mountain Express set......looks great. Interestingly whilst the RMB Buffet car is the same running number as current stock M1838 the FO is M3105 and the BSK M35295 neither of which match any stock I have.

Pictures later.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not much progress on the actual layout but I've managed to get on a bit with my train of modified Dapol HTV coal hoppers. Some nice decals from Railtec have been added along with some from the NGS Store. First one has had some weathering applied including the wheels. They will both get a load of real coal as I have access to quite a quantity of it.

gallery_681_3216_64175.jpg

gallery_681_3216_83345.jpg

The newest arrival has been another bit of railway memorabilia. This was advertised on eB** as a large station sign...but no dimensions. I was the only bidder for a tenner. It was collect only but Newhaven is only 20 mins away it was an easy pick up until I got to the house. I was expecting a standard BR black on white station platform sign but what I got was a lot bigger, 7 feet long!

Mrs G had to sit in the back of the Kuga behind me as I dropped the rest of the back seats to slide it in! The sign is light as it is PVC so I'm wondering if this is off the signal box, as if it fell on to the track it would not short out the 3rd rail. Its obviously been mounted close to the track as the top edge has loads of brake dust weathering on it. The sign itself is a shallow U channel with lips to clip over a metal rail top and bottom.

gallery_681_3476_232768.jpg

gallery_681_3476_138789.jpg

Preston Park was the first ticket office I worked in, back in 1979...... The sign is currently on our verandah waiting a more permanent home.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Last friday saw me have a sleepless day, finished night shift at 0645 got home 0730ish for a couple of hours kip before joining this for a trip between Brighton and Ashford and v/v.  Great day out, a couple of hours sleep in the afternoon and then back to work!  

gallery_681_3476_144386.jpg

At Brighton station before forming the 1047 to Ashford

gallery_681_3476_33211.jpg

Photo call at Eastbourne, Alan ( Pondy ) Lake who had organised his own train is the chap with grey hair, glasses and beer next to the train :)

gallery_681_3476_135271.jpg

Back at Brighton 1450

gallery_681_3476_85855.jpg

A bit of EE power!

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Nearly finished the HTV 21ton hoppers, i'll post a photo later.

Yesterday had a trip to Lewes and the bus rally, 100 years of Southdown this year. I've always had a bit of an interest as my late Dad worked for Brighton, Hove and District then later Southdown as a coachbuilder. Again I'll get some photos up later.

Little delivery from Liverpool today

gallery_681_3476_221600.jpg

From L to R

Base Toys crew van - nice model apart from the dire fit of the windscreen.

GF 47701 my namesake  St Andrew! This will be back dated a bit. Lose the grey roof and the headcode panel will be black with domino markers.

GF Castle Cement Presflo.....on offer and these are great for a little block train.

Base Toys Duple Dominant DP coach in Ribble livery - in my mind there is an exhibition on at Olympia so a good excuse for coaches.

Oxford Foden FG 8 wheeler.......for a little project now that I realise that these models are so easy to dismantle.

Base Toys Express Parcels van - nice model again apart from the dire fit of the windscreen.and why print on wiper blades that are a foot thick

In the front is an adjustable tool for laying parallel tracks....made in Turkey!

Hope to get into the loft tomorrow and get some track bed down and even some track laying..........stay tuned!

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 3

Not much progress on the actual layout but I've managed to get on a bit with my train of modified Dapol HTV coal hoppers. Some nice decals from Railtec have been added along with some from the NGS Store. First one has had some weathering applied including the wheels. They will both get a load of real coal as I have access to quite a quantity of it.

gallery_681_3216_64175.jpg

gallery_681_3216_83345.jpg

The newest arrival has been another bit of railway memorabilia. This was advertised on eB** as a large station sign...but no dimensions. I was the only bidder for a tenner. It was collect only but Newhaven is only 20 mins away it was an easy pick up until I got to the house. I was expecting a standard BR black on white station platform sign but what I got was a lot bigger, 7 feet long!

Mrs G had to sit in the back of the Kuga behind me as I dropped the rest of the back seats to slide it in! The sign is light as it is PVC so I'm wondering if this is off the signal box, as if it fell on to the track it would not short out the 3rd rail. Its obviously been mounted close to the track as the top edge has loads of brake dust weathering on it. The sign itself is a shallow U channel with lips to clip over a metal rail top and bottom.

gallery_681_3476_232768.jpg

gallery_681_3476_138789.jpg

Preston Park was the first ticket office I worked in, back in 1979...... The sign is currently on our verandah waiting a more permanent home.

Nice sign and a bargain price! I worked at Preston Park as an estate agent for a a few years. really nice spot. I even popped up to the station to film the royal train passing through!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice sign and a bargain price! I worked at Preston Park as an estate agent for a a few years. really nice spot. I even popped up to the station to film the royal train passing through!

It still is a nice area and Preston Park is our local station. Shame that most of the station buildings have been removed.

• RMweb Premium

Nearly finished the HTV 21ton hoppers, i'll post a photo later.

Yesterday had a trip to Lewes and the bus rally, 100 years of Southdown this year. I've always had a bit of an interest as my late Dad worked for Brighton, Hove and District then later Southdown as a coachbuilder. Again I'll get some photos up later.

Little delivery from Liverpool today

gallery_681_3476_221600.jpg

From L to R

Base Toys crew van - nice model apart from the dire fit of the windscreen.

GF 47701 my namesake  St Andrew! This will be back dated a bit. Lose the grey roof and the headcode panel will be black with domino markers.

GF Castle Cement Presflo.....on offer and these are great for a little block train.

Base Toys Duple Dominant DP coach in Ribble livery - in my mind there is an exhibition on at Olympia so a good excuse for coaches.

Oxford Foden FG 8 wheeler.......for a little project now that I realise that these models are so easy to dismantle.

Base Toys Express Parcels van - nice model again apart from the dire fit of the windscreen.and why print on wiper blades that are a foot thick

In the front is an adjustable tool for laying parallel tracks....made in Turkey!

Hope to get into the loft tomorrow and get some track bed down and even some track laying..........stay tuned!

Hasn't KRC got one of every die-cast Southdown bus and coach produced in 4 mm scale?

• RMweb Premium

Hasn't KRC got one of every die-cast Southdown bus and coach produced in 4 mm scale?

Quite probably he's got quite a bit stashed away.......he's retiring next April.......I'd better say early!!

I've a few Southdown and BH&D goodies that 'fell off' the buses stashed away including a cast aluminium Daimler badge plus several Southdown radiator crests got the odd Bristol too.....badge that is!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

What's the proper name, era and use of this colour green?  My memories of BR Southern in the 60's were of a much lighter washed out green.

Andy

A very good question that I cant answer properly.

• RMweb Premium

OK 5 HTV 21 ton hoppers largely completed, just need a tad more weathering and coal loads added to two off them.

Lifecolor acrylics for the paint and Railtec excellent decals plus some from the NGS.

gallery_681_3216_104613.jpg

gallery_681_3216_79910.jpg

gallery_681_3216_122301.jpg

gallery_681_3216_12082.jpg

gallery_681_3216_88464.jpg

A start has been made on a former LMS BG

gallery_681_3483_11846.jpg

gallery_681_3483_33336.jpg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And to finish off today some images from the Lewes Bus Rally on Sunday....This year is the 100th anniversary of the formation of Southdown Motor Services.

gallery_681_3476_86292.jpg

gallery_681_3476_42571.jpg

gallery_681_3476_67804.jpg

And some cars that Oxford could produce in N scale please ( other than the Moggie Minor )!

gallery_681_3476_175214.jpg

Edited by acg5324