Peco O Gauge Set Track

two tone green

• 1 month later...

April 2021, and I finally have my hands on these set-track points - nearly 8 years after I first learned of them. This was partly because supply here in Australia was a bit all over the shop and at one stage they were listed at $140AUD each! More recent exchange rates have been more favourable. Now to get to Inglenooking!

• Like 4

Guest Jack Benson
On 06/06/2019 at 19:25, Nile said:

Thanks to Dapol, Ixion and Minerva I have a growing collection of small O gauge locos and wagons. What I haven't got is room for a permanent layout to run them on, this is where this new set track could be of use. My initial examination of the points showed that the geometry of them owed more to the likes of Brio or Lego than the real thing. But I came up with a cunning plan to modify them to make them more useful.

I made four cuts to shorten the point.

The result is a much smaller item.

I also made cuts to a piece of curved set track so that it matched the shortened point. The result is shown below. The 'six foot' spacing has been roughly halved to a scale nine feet, a more useable size.

There is potential for further trimming to achieve a closer track spacing if desired.

Hi Neil,

The term ‘game changer’ is over used but not in this case. Your post has changed our plans so that we may be able to build a small layout based on Iain Rice’s plan of John Dale’s Alexandra Wharf.

Thank you

• RMweb Premium
On 17/04/2021 at 10:16, ossygobbin said:

my Dapol pannier doesnt run thru setrack points very well

Mine is fine, as are it's Minerva and Lionheart compatriots.

Are these recent points?  Mine are only a year old, I was wondering if like in OO, they change over time.

P1150189.JPG.5d84700d3b8053731d1f460706e05a57.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 07/07/2021 at 16:21, Night Train said:

Hi, a couple of quick questions. -

When using the points in "cut down mode", what is the track centre line spacing in mm?

Unfortunately that depends where you cut them! Mine are cut two sleepers off the end of the check rails giving roughly 100mm centres. 

(taking the closest edges of the tape as the centrelines)
E7ED3989-DF7C-4A8F-BCE7-A1B7C7FC0760.jpeg.fc3b3bdf533c2739e854c158b1ae0f47.jpeg

Are the blades sprung and do they remain in place when "switched"?

Thanks.

Yes, standard Peco over centre spring. 

C68B1AE5-9C97-4A35-A239-BE387968AEC8.jpeg.f9cd0fe3f6067f3fbc065268efaf7e31.jpeg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

When using the points in "cut down mode", what is the track centre line spacing in mm?

Also Neil B. (@Nile) was very kind and recently reloaded his photos of his cut-down points on Page 19 for me - there are no measurements but they give an excellent view of how a crossover looks with the cut-down points and it should be possible to guesstimate the track spacing from these photos. I have some points of my own but sadly I'm still no closer to actually starting a layout... hopefully one day soon... fingers crossed...!

There are also Peco point templates available on both the Peco and the Tower Models websites - these might be worth hacking about before taking a cutter to the real thing!

Cheers, Neil.

Edited by Porfuera
  • Like 2

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

A friend was having derailments at slow speed and I thought it would just be the blades wide of gauge again but when we looked at it they were dropping in just after the tips of the switch rails. 
IMG_2724.jpeg.33f0c23fa6efca4c08d5a630e68c4511.jpeg

There’s not really much room for it to be the blade curvature here. 

IMG_2725.jpeg.5eab8bd762482edd85a76231197781eb.jpeg

So measuring the outer stock rails the gauge was 1mm wider, 35mm, than the other points here. The rails were tight against the chairs on the curved stock rail while on other points they are actually quite loose and aren’t actually in contact with the outer chairs. 

So we put a card packing piece in to close up the gauge by about 0.75mm and the derailments stopped. 

The packing piece will be cut down to two small pads once it’s been tested with all locos and stock as it might need reducing slightly for longer wheelbase 0-6-0’s. Under the wheel here. 

IMG_2726.jpeg.a958788f7869bacd3fb2235bdcedcdfc.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

image.jpeg.f7a00a02de7f67f1c0204248758fb138.jpeg

I’d expect it to fall in here.  The right hand wheel is on the stock rail and the blade is closed against it.  The left hand wheel should be on the blade, but it’s the wrong side.  It shouldn’t ever be in this condition, has it split the point - ie gone the wrong way?

Edited by Simond

I think this maybe an optical illusion.The righthand wheel is actually on the switch rail,the left hand wheel is in between the stock and switch rail.In a case like this I would first check the back to back on the wheels.Dapol seem to leave a lot to be desired where this is concerned,I have a lot had a lot of issues with derailing Dapol stock,and was advised by Peco's Technical Department to check the B2B before anything else,having had similar problems.Most wheel sets needed adjustment.

Phil

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes it was definitely on the switch rail and yes it may well be a combination of b2b’s and the point but the point was also definitely 1mm wider gauge than the others just there. 
We are still testing as he has to try the Terriers and Pannier through it but unless they need that stock rail to flex out against the chairs to get round on the other points this should have solved his problems. 

IMG_2725.jpeg.ed0a058f2e5a9d39af23397d138091a1.jpeg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 4

The other day I bought the Peco O Gauge Set Track starter kit. I think they were on the money by providing a kit which is basically O gauge Inglenook layout in a box. I already own a pair of Set Track O gauge points, so I have a few extra options.

Is there a published list of the RTR locos known to operate on the points and curves successfully and any known issues with buffer-locking? Would like to know in advance where potential issues may arise.

• Informative/Useful 1

Hello Martin.

Now that is something I have been considering of late too.  A compact, but full of interest shunting plank but using set track  parts.

Ill mark this as one to watch.

44 minutes ago, Barnaby said:

Hello Martin.

Now that is something I have been considering of late too.  A compact, but full of interest shunting plank but using set track  parts.

Ill mark this as one to watch.

I might start up my own O gauge thread for it. I've got my fingers in a few pies at the moment, with American On30 (slowly being Australianised) some British 7mm Standard Gauge and NSWGR 7mm Standard Gauge.

I have read comments elsewhere that the Panniers and Jintys don't seem to like these points, but the Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0 and the 0-4-0s seem to do okay. I have a Sentinel and a Heljian 04 which I have not yet test run on these points.

Edited by hartleymartin
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I have Minerva, Lionheart and Dapol panniers which are perfectly happy on them, a Dapol Jinty, Minerva Victory (fitted larger buffers due to locking) and even a Lionheart/Dapol Prairie that buffer locks but runs fine through the points.  Some fitting of larger buffer heads to end vehicles in fixed rakes (4w coal wagons mostly) has also helped.

20221124_151433.jpg.c643e401bc765f3f7e5a1492a1ddceb7.jpg

P1150189.JPG.71fb0e202edba81fe714fe1a0b120aa9.JPG

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 03/04/2023 at 05:48, New Haven Neil said:

I have Minerva, Lionheart and Dapol panniers which are perfectly happy on them, a Dapol Jinty, Minerva Victory (fitted larger buffers due to locking) and even a Lionheart/Dapol Prairie that buffer locks but runs fine through the points.  Some fitting of larger buffer heads to end vehicles in fixed rakes (4w coal wagons mostly) has also helped.

I am guessing that the buffer-locking is mostly an issue when propelling through S-bends? I've been doing some testing with set-track pieces and it is only S-bends (reverse curves) where it becomes an issue. Largely mitigated by some length of straight track between the two curves.

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, hartleymartin said:

I am guessing that the buffer-locking is mostly an issue when propelling through S-bends? I've been doing some testing with set-track pieces and it is only S-bends (reverse curves) where it becomes an issue. Largely mitigated by some length of straight track between the two curves.

Yes, dependent upon wagon wheelbase mostly, or on locos how far the buffers are from the leading wheelset - hence the bigger buffers on the Victory.  My track plan allows the usual propelling moves to be in straight lines, more by chance than design, but it works for me!

• Like 1