DJModels announce new models in N, OO and O

Andy Y

Honestly! Does it REALLY matter how long things take to come to fruition? The planet's going to carry on spinning no matter what...........ffs.....

The only person that the timings really affects is Dave himself, he's the one investing and putting his money where his mouth is. Being a keyboard warrior is something anyone can do with little skill and far too much time on their hands.

Keep going Dave, the vast majority of modellers are behind you and don't let the odd troll get under your skin, you're better than that.

cheers

Andy

Well I'm looking forward to the DJM/Kernow DMU-fest when orders are ready to be taken even if my savings account won't be.  A collection of Cross City fart-carts with authentic dyspeptic sounds to replace my venerable converted Lima 117s is "vapourware" of underpant-threatening delight.  Based on the various kettles I've seen in prototype or seen in pictures I fully expect the Kernow units to be at least on a par with Bachmann's various units and probably beyond that. 

Hell, I might even have my condensing vapourware* shed layouts operational by the time they come to market so I'm in no rush.

* Shed built two years ago, just getting round to fitting it out.  I'm in no place to moan about long delivery times...

I often look at the number of posts someone has made on RMweb and find it suspicious and coincidental that some with a low number of posts seem to have just come on here for a whinge. Just saying like as we say down in these parts.

I've said it before and i'll say it again i've got a Western so I know what Dave is capable of. I'll wait for my J94 because I know it will be good.

I'm ever so sorry Mr Jones, I thought RMweb was for railway modellers and not an exclusive advertising zone for DJ Models.

Easy mistake to make.

How many of the other thousands of members are manufacturers then? And I do post on other forums, just not the ones that you read, probably because they're not advertising platforms for Vapourware, they're the ones used by real modellers who make things - For themselves, not to sell, isn't that what the hobby is about? Obviously not in your world.

If you never buy RTR why are you so bothered about it? Talking of vapourware, can we see some of your models, kit builds etc.? I'm not doubting you, but so far you're all talk.

• RMweb Gold

I'm ever so sorry Mr Jones, I thought RMweb was for railway modellers and not an exclusive advertising zone for DJ Models.

Easy mistake to make.

How many of the other thousands of members are manufacturers then? And I do post on other forums, just not the ones that you read, probably because they're not advertising platforms for Vapourware, they're the ones used by real modellers who make things - For themselves, not to sell, isn't that what the hobby is about? Obviously not in your world.

You chose to post on this thread......The title of which acts as a clue as to its content.

The nature of your posts invite reaction.

Please, take it elsewhere. You offer nothing and contribute a lot less.

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Calm down gentlemen. It's only a hobby after all...

For us it may be just a hobby but for Dave it's much more.

He has a right to respond to criticism.

If the big boys take months\years from initial concept to full manufacture

why should we expect Dave to be any quicker.

Having worked in a similar industry I fully agree with the statement quoted in an earlier post: Have it now or have it right when its ready.

• RMweb Gold

Anyway Dave, 'bout this Midland Johnson 0.4.4T. ....wot win your obvious talent for this sort of thing.....innit

Rob

post-14122-0-30577900-1429336747.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Anyway Dave, 'bout this Midland Johnson 0.4.4T. ....wot win your obvious talent for this sort of thing.....innit

Rob

Rather surprised its got one of the those black on yellow cross signs to signify it won't couple to a Sprinter.... :)

I think the recent criticisms are legitimate and have been born out of sheer frustration. Back on post 303 I made a list of announcements. The DJ models website has not been updated since mid November last year and the timeline not since September. I'd like to see this updated weekly - there has been calls for more regular updates in the djm class 71 thread. Why isn't there something like the Hatton project progress advert as published in some recent mags?

That Hattons project progress advert is on this months BRM - you are the first I have seen mention it: it's a nice idea! It does, of course, include the 'King' - would like to see some more news on progress with this so that I can decide whether or not to sell one of my children to pay for one....;-)

That Hattons project progress advert is on this months BRM - you are the first I have seen mention it: it's a nice idea! It does, of course, include the 'King' - would like to see some more news on progress with this so that I can decide whether or not to sell one of my children to pay for one....;-)

Only joking of course! ... I actually want three......

I think the recent criticisms are legitimate and have been born out of sheer frustration. Back on post 303 I made a list of announcements. The DJ models website has not been updated since mid November last year and the timeline not since September. I'd like to see this updated weekly - there has been calls for more regular updates in the djm class 71 thread. Why isn't there something like the Hatton project progress advert as published in some recent mags?

We have to remember DJM is DJM - one person Dave Jones so we cannot expect him to do a Hornby and have an ongoing blog of developments.  There was a valid point raised around the 71 which being a kickstarter does have a lot of investors and as money has been paid up front then some sort of newsletter to those people should be made available,

Even Bachmann don't release any news on a model till there is something to see.

Unlike Bachmann and Hornby Dave is building this company by himself, the profits on one model helps to fund the next and so forth - perhaps all this commission work he has been doing is an indication that funding all the launch models was proving more difficult in the current climate and actually who can blame him if someone like Kernow or Hattons want to commission his services - at the end of the day he isn't just in this for his love of the hobby and still needs a steady income.

• RMweb Gold

it makes me wonder if you need your head examined to be a model railway producer. you invest time and money probably sweat and tears Bending over backwards keeping people informed of time scales and developments. And still get stick.

All I can say keep up the good work.

Ps weres my MR 0-4-4t :)

Hiya,

I think your right, and I will endeavour to update more often on DJM projects.

However I do run the risk of repeating myself and some might find that more tedious and boring than normal.

With external clients, such as Hattons, FTG, Kernow and others to be named shortly, it's up to them to release info, not me. So I will, unless expressly told to by that client, remain quiet ( I hear the cheers of 'thank god' over the ether as I type this) on their models.

I'll try and update the website this evening after I give the class 71 update here and there.

Point taken guys, and apologies for not being as vocal as previous. This will change.

Oh, and a heads up for those interested, I'm attending Fareham show later this year with a stand and display. Some might want to come along and say 'hello' ;-)

Cheers

Dave

Well volunteered.

Not my job to Black Rat.

To be honest my list was not easy to make and this was acknowledged at the time. Something similar should have already be on the website.

If you are going to set up a commercial operation and make loads of announcements then you can't complain when people to want to know more detail. If it doesn't happen, that will be fine and people will simply loose interest and drift away...

Most info has been on here (not everyone visits forums) and gleaned from exchanges. It needs to be clear and concise and displayed on a central site. Otherwise the vapourware moniker will stick.

I'm not complaining. Silence often leads to rumour mills going into over-drive and I just wanted to know what was happening.

I perfectly understand that small home-manufacturing businesses have long lead times and many difficulties. Nearly all models of Australian trains have to be produced this way, and a model can be delayed for years from it's initial date of announcement. At the moment I'm 10 years and waiting on two kits that I put an EOI (and was ready to put money) down in 2005. One of them is due out at the end of this year, the other seems to always be "nearly done" but held up by one delay or another.

Archived