DJModels announce new models in N, OO and O

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

What is the logic in producing Locos all of which are already available rtr in 4mm?.

I agree the J94 is due a upgrade, but the  the other Locos Heljan already sell. e.g Hattons have a large range various liveried  Class 17's all examples at +10 in stock how many can he hope to sell ?

A obvious LNER Tank is the J50 or any of a mulititude of other Tank locos could have been chosen instead of a J94.

Good luck I really hope it is a success.

But Heljan don't do a N or 0 Baby Deltic, or a N Clayton. Dave isn't doing a 00 Baby D or Clayton, so no duplication there.

Cheers,

Mick

But Heljan don't do a N or 0 Baby Deltic, or a N Clayton. Dave isn't doing a 00 Baby D or Clayton, so no duplication there.

Cheers,

Mick

I agree I was only refering to 4mm !!  I am sure the models will delight people who model those gauges !! Yes I have now read the list properly too thanks.

• RMweb Premium

But I have to wonder, how long is it going to be before someone asks Dave for a OO version of his Baby Deltic. It wont be me!

While I'm here, will an early Baby D be produced eventually?

All the best with the new venture Dave.

Some interesting remarks re time for improved standards on the web site

www.djmodels.co.uk

A sideswipe at former employers?

Indeed. DJ is making an effort to ensure that the models will be "fit for purpose," unlike certain other manufacturer(s). Reminds me, must look for photos of D1015's railtour today. I wish DJ good luck, though nothing as yet announced is in my scale or era (BR diesels, late 70s).

I love the idea of a N gauge Clayton, the preserved one operated services to and from Arley at an SVR diesel gala a while ago... so perfect for my Victoria Bridge model.

A useful chap called DecibelDave posted this on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/51238266@N02/5258043330/in/photolist-91CR6u-asDBjq-91ChjG-bzKdE3

10/10 for subliminal marketing :mail:

If the CAD drawings of the austerity tank (none of the J94s - a mere 80 of the 400 or so built) carried that combination of details; the reversing rod was only carried by some of the locos rebuilt by Hunslet in the mid-60s.  Presumably a presevered example has been looked at since many of the details as shown are common additions by preservation users. From my perspective, it seems that the most irritating features of the original model - the very visible joins above the bottom corners of the tanks and the lumps poking through the solid footplate; all three are avoidable in 4mm and totally unnecessary in 7mm - will be present in the new version and that's a pity if it makes the tool room in that form. This may be deemed petty (I'm sure it will) but for me they're a favourite prototype so I notice things like this - they bother me much more than the presence or otherwise of sound.

Good choice of prototype, however; unlike most 'mainline' tanks this one can be painted in colours other than black... 

Adam

• RMweb Gold

- the very visible joins above the bottom corners of the tanks and the lumps poking through the solid footplate; all three are avoidable in 4mm and totally unnecessary in 7mm -  

The join in the tank is a tricky one due to the bottom radius. You can split it like the Dapol/Hornby model, split along the top by doing two sides or have a very expensive mould with multi slide pieces, will be interesting to see which DJ chooses.

Moulding the curve as a thick piece of plastic won't work as you get sink marks as it cools.

The join in the tank is a tricky one due to the bottom radius. You can split it like the Dapol/Hornby model, split along the top by doing two sides or have a very expensive mould with multi side pieces, will be interesting to see which DJ chooses.

Moulding the curve as a thick piece of plastic won't work as you get sink marks as it cools.

It's something that's always detracted from the existing model as far as I'm concerned (having gone to great lengths when building a new chassis to glue the thing together and hide the resulting join with filler, twice now). I've no idea how practical it would be to have the curve bottom of the tank slot into the bottom of a tank with the curve in it much as say, the Bachmann pannier or any RTR diesel with a tumblehome to its bodyside does. I guess a three part mould might be required but it would greatly improve the finished model's appearance

It's unlikely I will be buying one however whatever it looks like and despite my interest in industrial railways - four austerity tanks (two complete and two as parts in hand) is more than enough really and I'd rather spend the money on a kit for something else. In any event, converting a split chassis to EM is always a bit of a challenge which usually incurs extra expense. That isn't a complaint; I made the rod for my own back and, on balance, it keeps a lid on temptation and saves me money.

Adam

• RMweb Gold

It's something that's always detracted from the existing model as far as I'm concerned

the Bachmann pannier or any RTR diesel with a tumblehome to its bodyside does. I guess a three part mould might be required but it would greatly improve the finished model's appearance

- four austerity tanks (two complete and two as parts in hand) is more than enough really

That isn't a complaint; I made the rod for my own back and, on balance, it keeps a lid on temptation and saves me money.

I agree with the first point especially as covering it makes access to the motor and decoder impossible ;)

The curve seems a fair bit bigger so I guess that's why they chose this as it pushes the depth of plastic over the critical point? When I did basic moulding design at college we were always told to keep the webs about 2/3 the surface thickness to avoid sink marks, can't remember the guidelines on depth of plastic but it was only a few of mm before you ran into all sorts of issues with mould temperatures as things heated up and the speed that the plastic cooled once ejected.

Point 3, Really that must be why I sold off 6 of mine :)

On point 4, an admirable way to focus that I will no doubt fail to follow.

The points about detail though are exactly what Dave did best before so pass them on and make this the best rtr one yet.

N Gauge Clayton

Just a few point arising from the product launch -

1          Do we assume that this model will not be DCC ready   ?

2          Will it have directional lights ?

3          Could we have the addition of two more models, N17-008T Green  Weathered and N17-009T Blue Weathered ?

4          Would it be possible at this stage to make the dummy unit house a sound chip and speaker ?     It should not be too hard to mix two sound recordings to give the effect.   It must be     possible to interconnect the two units with a plug in connector.

General Points –

1          While I appreciate that there may be variants for a particular model, which are normally supplied in a separate bag, it would be nice to receive a fully assembled locomotive.    May be it would be better to say remove these parts if you want to use a smaller radius curve.   This way the packaging would accommodate a fully fitted locomotive.

2          Could we have vulnerable parts made from more resilient materials, for example buffers and exhaust pipes on N gauge locomotives.   

Ray (black wheels) Corton

Good luck, I wish you every success with this new venture,

And your promise to personally test each loco before shipping, should eliminate the QC issues that have plagued Dapol

Wish list

Class 123 Swindon intercity unit

Class 128 parcels unit

• RMweb Gold

I wish Dave luck with his new venture! the J94 is a welcome release for many I suspect, and I'll certainly have one, however it will need some bashing to get it to the right shape for Ropley, and a face.....

Tom.

• RMweb Gold

Checking all models has been done before. Godfrey Hayes checked all of the Replica items made for they by Kader, led to a number of seconds on the market which no one really could work out why!

;)

Yes it's an admirable commitment but lot of work to take on and not infallible if something like the motor fault that plagued early Bachmann 2-6-4 standards happens.

I wish it well though as it looks to be a good balance for the money.

Great news on more RTR in 7mm, I admit both models are not for me but I hope they sell well enough to have follow ups from the Swindon area.

Oh & from my point of view I would leave out the NEM couplings and stick to screw Link/3 links.

Archived